extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 05:49 PM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty

Hello guys,
I just bought a 5 year extended warranty from Protection Direct. I wass researching the web and I saw lots of complaints abt that company (I know. I am stupid, I bought it and then researched abt it) So I was wondering if any of u worked with that company? The good thing is I can get full refaund before 30 days. Which company is a good company? I live in Florida and my IS250 has 65k mileage on it.
Old 07-08-11, 06:16 PM
FutureITR
Driver

Yeah, a lot of 3rd party extended warranties aren't the best. Heard it wasn't the best to deal with.
I'm debating if I should get it through my insurance.
What's your deductible and how much did you pay? Is it up to 100k?
Old 07-08-11, 10:12 PM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

I have $100 ded. its for 5 yrs or 60k miles and I pay 150 down and 113 each month for 24 month ($2862 total)

Last edited by misaghk; 07-08-11 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-08-11, 11:51 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stay away from 3rd party warranties. Not only do they try and sneak their way out of repairs when you need them, even if they do decide cover you, they are usually slow during pay out. And if your car isn't paid for, the shop/dealership you take it to isn't going to release it. Heard too many stories of people having a car repaired under these warranties, and then when they go to pick it up they can't because the warranty company takes its sweet time paying. The whole time your cars sitting at the mechanic, and some will assess you fees after a certain time for storing it there.

Honestly, i wouldn't worry about the warranty. You got Toyota reliability, save the $2862. I HIGHLY doubt you will ever have to spend that much on repairs. These car's don't have major motor issues or transmission issues to worry about. You are MUCH better off keeping the $2862. Keep it in savings, if you ever need it, you can use it, if you don't - buy yourself something nice later on or put it towards a new car
Old 07-09-11, 05:18 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by misaghk
I have $100 ded. its for 5 yrs or 60k miles and I pay 150 down and 113 each month for 24 month ($2862 total)
that sounds a bit too much for me... I have a 3rd party warranty, No ded. 5 yrs or 100k. I got it from American Guardian Compass Protection Plan... the whole thing was 1780+
Old 07-09-11, 12:41 PM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GilIS250
that sounds a bit too much for me... I have a 3rd party warranty, No ded. 5 yrs or 100k. I got it from American Guardian Compass Protection Plan... the whole thing was 1780+
Have u ever used ur warranty? Are they reliable?
Old 07-09-11, 01:19 PM
threevoIS
Driver

Hello guys,
I just bought a 5 year extended warranty from Protection Direct. I wass researching the web and I saw lots of complaints abt that company (I know. I am stupid, I bought it and then researched abt it) So I was wondering if any of u worked with that company? The good thing is I can get full refaund before 30 days. Which company is a good company? I live in Florida and my IS250 has 65k mileage on it.
what is the year/mileage on the car?
Old 07-09-11, 02:32 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2864 seems a little high. I see most other CL members paying sub $2k
Old 07-09-11, 03:00 PM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by threevoIS
what is the year/mileage on the car?
65k mileage and its 2006.
Old 07-09-11, 05:38 PM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Instead of buying a warranty put the money in the bank. Its there if you need it and if you don't need it you have the cash to put towards the next car.

Most warrantys are not worth the hassle for a shop to deal with and there are too many things not covered in a typical repair.

It turns into a battle between the shop, warraty customer and warranty company.

And the companys that are slow to pay are even worse.

Your not getting your car till the bill is paid in full.

Old 07-09-11, 11:35 PM
titlenhand
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Stay away from 3rd party warranties. Not only do they try and sneak their way out of repairs when you need them, even if they do decide cover you, they are usually slow during pay out. And if your car isn't paid for, the shop/dealership you take it to isn't going to release it. Heard too many stories of people having a car repaired under these warranties, and then when they go to pick it up they can't because the warranty company takes its sweet time paying. The whole time your cars sitting at the mechanic, and some will assess you fees after a certain time for storing it there.

Honestly, i wouldn't worry about the warranty. You got Toyota reliability, save the $2862. I HIGHLY doubt you will ever have to spend that much on repairs. These car's don't have major motor issues or transmission issues to worry about. You are MUCH better off keeping the $2862. Keep it in savings, if you ever need it, you can use it, if you don't - buy yourself something nice later on or put it towards a new car

I used to believe this... until I bought my 2006 IS250...
Old 07-10-11, 12:51 AM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

I dont want to risk it. If my navigation touch screen brakes down I have to pay more than $2000 to fix it, and its something that happened to many people. So I'd rather drive my car with peace of mind than worring about repair expenses. So please help me find a good company with reasonable price.
Thanx.
Old 07-10-11, 01:49 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by titlenhand
I used to believe this... until I bought my 2006 IS250...
Really? Curious....What happened that you spent so much/why do you say that?
Old 07-10-11, 01:58 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have u ever used ur warranty? Are they reliable?
I have not... I take care of the vehicle and have not have any problems so far, but I just read a few reviews on the company itself... seems like I made a bad choice. Here another forum member sent me this link, maybe it will help you make a better choice
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-war...vice-a2we3.htm.
Old 07-10-11, 01:14 PM
huch
Rookie

Originally Posted by GilIS250
I have not... I take care of the vehicle and have not have any problems so far, but I just read a few reviews on the company itself... seems like I made a bad choice. Here another forum member sent me this link, maybe it will help you make a better choice
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-war...vice-a2we3.htm.
Luckily for you they couldn't use that excuse on you since the transmission fluid in your car can't be changed...it can only be topped off. I don't think Lexus maintenance calls for too much on the transmission.

Quick Reply: extended warranty