IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

To get NAVI or not? Is it worth it or just a hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 04:46 AM
Gabytx12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To get NAVI or not? Is it worth it or just a hassle?

I have not really been looking for an IS250 with NAVI, but I have driven a few I like that have NAVI. I did a bit of internet research and the Lexus Navigation system does not seem to get favorable reviews. I guess like everything on the internet, it depends where you look...so...

Just wondering if those of you who have NAVI like it, or have had issues with it? Does it depend on year of car- so far i am looking at 2006-2007, have also driven a couple 2008's.

Any input would be helpful.

thanks!
Old 07-09-11, 06:08 AM
wntrwhte
Rookie

Fwiw, I dont have issues with mine, but my mom constantly complains about hers in her 2008 ES350.

I mostly use the garmin app on my iphone since I can google and send the address straight to the app, but the lexus one isnt bad.

Its way better than what is in our 2007 grand cherokee, thats for sure.
Old 07-09-11, 07:18 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont mind it. The only thing is you have to (but not really if youre picky like me) update it and you cant input while youre moving. I believe there is a DIY on how to change that with a list of pros and cons on doing it. I like the way it looks personaly, i waited to get one with navi and sat.
Old 07-09-11, 08:01 AM
texas02118
Driver

I currently have a flyaudio navigation unit and I like it. I have also tested out cars with factory navigation (with the new software) and the navigation system looks so ugly. In my opinion, the flyaudio system with IGo looks a lot better and you have many more options. Of course, all of us are going to have different opinions.

My best advice would be that you go check it out and play with it a little bit. I would get the navigation regardless because of aesthetic looks rather than functionality. I just hate the ugly stock ac/radio controls.
Old 07-09-11, 09:01 AM
kannon
Pole Position

I think its actually pretty good. I much prefer the touchscreen to nav systems that use a **** to control it. And personally I've spent lots of time with merc, porsche, audi, acura, and bmw nav systems and the lexus to me is better though doesn't have nearly the amount of features as those. The porsche nav in particular was horrendous.
Old 07-09-11, 02:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do a search you'll see a few quite long and epic threads on this, my take is the 06-09 OEM nav kinda sucks... a $150 Garmin crushes it for features, portability to other vehicles, and doesn't cripple itself while it's in motion... all while being a couple thousand bucks cheaper and NOT hitting you for hundreds more per year in map updates.

The downside is you need to keep it ON the dash rather than IN the dash...

The 2010+ nav is significantly improved for features... still not up to the level of a nice garmin, and still costs 10x more plus the update costs, but it at least offers some common features any other GPS from this century does like realtime traffic.

But as I said, a search will turn up longer threads discussing the feature and other differences in more detail.

I will say if you do get the OEM nav be sure to get something still under warranty, as I've seen more than a few folks facing $2500 repair bills when their OEM nav suddenly stops responding to touch.
Old 07-09-11, 02:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kurtz is right, the OEM navi sucks, but when I say that, its still years ahead of any navi from bmw, mercedes, or almost any other car maker I have tried. The OEM navi pales in comparision to aftermarket navi such as Garmin while being a fraction of the price. In addition, upgrades are ridiculously expensive, and it tends to break and has a hefty repair bill.

However, I would never buy an IS without the navi. The navi may be a little behind, but this car without navi looks downright ugly. Think of the navi as more of a cosmetic item with the added benefit of providing touchscreen controls to your air con and other stuff. Its kinda like the iphone: a horrible phone but probably the best looking phone on the market and the most desirable one. People can bash the navi all they want, but no one can deny that the interior is instantly ameliorated to a much nicer place with the navi screen.

Last edited by edgeucated; 07-09-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 03:31 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

The features are limited compared to other units out there (even the cheap standalone ones) but the interior of the car looks so much better with it that I would opt for it.
Old 07-09-11, 03:41 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets be real its not amazing and there are better systems out there.... but it looks better and the back up camera is awesome for parking.
Old 07-09-11, 03:54 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I specifically looked for NAV when I picked up my '08, it may not "kick ***" but it does its job well and makes the interior look 10x better. You get a back-up camera (major plus, especially in cities), touch screen for climate and radio, Bluetooth, and a map.
Old 07-09-11, 04:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I'd think most anybody with a Lexus has a phone that can give them directions in an unexpected pinch...

I specifically looked for NAV when I picked up my '08, it may not "kick ***" but it does its job well and makes the interior look 10x better.
I don't really think it does. I think both look about as good as each other, and find the non-nav one a better, more functional, interface (more on that bit later)

This is an opinion thing though, so I'd encourage the OP to look at both and decide if the nav one looks a couple grand better than the other one.

I wouldn't tell anyone who thinks it does they're wrong for thinking so, but I wouldn't state the opinion of which looks better as a fact either.

You get a back-up camera (major plus, especially in cities)
The IS is like half the size of my last car, so this really isn't needed to me... but I'd agree if you lived someplace you'd be doing a ton of tight parallel parking it's a lot more useful feature than if you don't.

, touch screen for climate and radio
Those are major negatives in my book.

I can do all that stuff at the direct touch of a button, rather than having to switch screens on the nav and take my eyes off the road to look to see I'm hitting the right virtual button on screen.

Everytime I drive a loaner having to use the nav for those features drives me nuts compared to having real buttons.

Plus, I don't lose use of either if my screen fails.

, Bluetooth, and a map.
Well, my garmin does too... and my phone for that matter :P

Even better, unlike the 06-09 nav, I can stream music from one to the other that way.
Old 07-09-11, 05:29 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get it. the price isnt that big of a deal. i dont even use it for directions that much but it is very useful just to be able to see streets and how close you are to the next street etc. i find myself looking at an empty dash quite often when i have a loaner from the dealer. i doubt theres any feature in a portable unit that youll actually notice missing.
Old 07-09-11, 06:30 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the nav sucks! there has been multiple times it could not find addresses and in result i have to use the nav app on my droid.

however the nav unit completes the interior along with having a backup camera.
is it overpriced? heck yeah! but theres an aftermarket option by flyaudio that is half the cost.

its kinda like buying jdm window visors, can u justify spending close to $400 for 4pcs of plastic?
Old 07-09-11, 07:28 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'd think most anybody with a Lexus has a phone that can give them directions in an unexpected pinch...

I don't really think it does. I think both look about as good as each other, and find the non-nav one a better, more functional, interface (more on that bit later)

This is an opinion thing though, so I'd encourage the OP to look at both and decide if the nav one looks a couple grand better than the other one.

I wouldn't tell anyone who thinks it does they're wrong for thinking so, but I wouldn't state the opinion of which looks better as a fact either.

The IS is like half the size of my last car, so this really isn't needed to me... but I'd agree if you lived someplace you'd be doing a ton of tight parallel parking it's a lot more useful feature than if you don't.

Those are major negatives in my book.

I can do all that stuff at the direct touch of a button, rather than having to switch screens on the nav and take my eyes off the road to look to see I'm hitting the right virtual button on screen.

Everytime I drive a loaner having to use the nav for those features drives me nuts compared to having real buttons.

Plus, I don't lose use of either if my screen fails.

Well, my garmin does too... and my phone for that matter :P

Even better, unlike the 06-09 nav, I can stream music from one to the other that way.
To each their own.
Old 07-09-11, 07:38 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like having a built-in navigation system that came with the car rather than sticking one on the dash or windshield. I haven't used the navigation features on the new phones but the Lexus one is fine for getting to where I need to be.

The car salesman also told me having the navigation helps resale value. Not sure if it's true but the interior looks nice with it.

Quick Reply: To get NAVI or not? Is it worth it or just a hassle?