IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Company Scratched VIN Plate.....Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 05:09 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Company Scratched VIN Plate.....Need Suggestions

Not sure where to start but I recently had my windsheild replaced and this was the outcome.....To start my VIN plate was scratched up, windshield molding is extremely loose, windshield cowell raised, and upper seal of windsheild not set right. I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle this, I was told getting a VIN plate replacement is next to impossible but I'm bent out of shape that the install company did such a horrible job.

I just wanted to vent to you guys looking for any words of wisdom if anyone has been through this before......I'm pretty heated right now and the windshield company told me "theres not much we can do"

Old 07-10-11, 05:50 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Not much we can do"???

Call those bastards back and tell them to come fix this and make it like its SUPPOSED to be. Tell 'em they damaged your VIN plate and about the molding and stuff too. If they still don't care, just tell em you'll go to the BBB, and really do it if they brush you off.

There's no way in hell i'd let them call that a completed job.
Old 07-10-11, 05:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The windshield installer is insured. File a report for damages done to your car and demand they fix it. That's a pretty sloppy job. I've never seen anyone scratch the vin plate replacing a windshield before.
Old 07-10-11, 06:01 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely go back to them.. that windshield is so messed up
Old 07-10-11, 06:06 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
"Not much we can do"???

Call those bastards back and tell them to come fix this and make it like its SUPPOSED to be. Tell 'em they damaged your VIN plate and about the molding and stuff too. If they still don't care, just tell em you'll go to the BBB, and really do it if they brush you off.

There's no way in hell i'd let them call that a completed job.
Skip the calling, head straight for the BBB. You already gave the dog a bone on a silver dog dish, and he didn't take it.

Having a legible VIN placard is critical to the identification of your car for identification purposes, and I'm almost confident having a legible VIN plate that is readable is a law - if I were a police officer recovering a stolen vehicle, I would not be able to read your VIN very sufficiently.

Good luck, let us know how everything turns out.
Old 07-10-11, 06:35 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
The windshield installer is insured. File a report for damages done to your car and demand they fix it. That's a pretty sloppy job. I've never seen anyone scratch the vin plate replacing a windshield before.

Apparently the windshield company hasnt seen a scratched VIN plate before either LOL! Nor my local lexus dealership. The local service manager said that I would not be eligible for a new VIN plate since my car was not in an accident or stolen....So my question is if you can't fix it, what is the proper compensation for this??? A friend at a local car dealership said 4-5k and believe me I get that my car has 20 million other vin plates on it but where as this is the one right out in the open that could raise flags to a potential buyer could it not???
Old 07-10-11, 06:44 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CapitalisT
...believe me I get that my car has 20 million other vin plates on it but where as this is the one right out in the open that could raise flags to a potential buyer could it not???
The first place anyone checks for the VIN is the windshield placard. When was the last time you opened the door jamb or the trunk to read/copy the VIN when you were buying a car?

Tell the installation company that you're demanding a new VIN plate and have them figure it out as to how they're going to obtain it; perhaps tomorrow you could call Lexus Corporate and see what they can do on their end (ie. engraving a new VIN plate for $XXXX that will be charged to your windshield installer).
Old 07-10-11, 06:47 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

When they were done with the install. Did you point out all the flaw rite away? I dout your gonna get 4-5k for that. Your just gonna get a new windshield and trim fixed.
Old 07-10-11, 06:50 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by felixsc300
The first place anyone checks for the VIN is the windshield placard. When was the last time you opened the door jamb or the trunk to read/copy the VIN when you were buying a car?

Tell the installation company that you're demanding a new VIN plate and have them figure it out as to how they're going to obtain it; perhaps tomorrow you could call Lexus Corporate and see what they can do on their end (ie. engraving a new VIN plate for $XXXX that will be charged to your windshield installer).
I was told from the service mgr at my local lexus dealer one could not be obtained. point blank unless an accident occured or the car was stolen and recovered at which point they would send the old plate back for a new one.
Old 07-10-11, 06:55 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Can we all know whom this company is so we do not do business with them?
Old 07-10-11, 07:08 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
When they were done with the install. Did you point out all the flaw rite away? I dout your gonna get 4-5k for that. Your just gonna get a new windshield and trim fixed.

Didn't see it until after I had my car in for an oil change at the lexus garage.... and the service notes said "terrible windshield install"
Old 07-10-11, 07:47 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CapitalisT
I was told from the service mgr at my local lexus dealer one could not be obtained. point blank unless an accident occured or the car was stolen and recovered at which point they would send the old plate back for a new one.
That's your dealership, not corporate. Corporate is king, perhaps they could pull a few strings. Doesn't hurt to give them a call.
Old 07-10-11, 07:57 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Oh lawd, that is foul!!
Old 07-11-11, 06:08 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a new windshield put in and they also did a crappy job. i made them redo everything until i was happy. also contacted my insurance company since in fl it's covered. it looks like they reused the old broken clips on the molding. new ones will fix that.
Old 07-11-11, 06:44 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Terrible somebody called that a job, and worse they cant back their work. I would have shoved the installer down.

Quick Reply: Windshield Company Scratched VIN Plate.....Need Suggestions