IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 06:35 AM
dangtran09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems

2007 lexus is250 awd 45k miles. i have 2 issues, unsure if they're related.

1) when i push the start engine button, the engine starts with a quick 2 rattling noise, then stop, engine starts.

2) when im at a complete stop(sign, light), engine shakes a bit and feels like it will stop.

both of these happen intermittenly.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-11, 07:25 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by dangtran09
2007 lexus is250 awd 45k miles. i have 2 issues, unsure if they're related.

1) when i push the start engine button, the engine starts with a quick 2 rattling noise, then stop, engine starts.
It's probably the vvti cam issue; huge thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

2) when im at a complete stop(sign, light), engine shakes a bit and feels like it will stop.
May be carbon build-up, thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 07-13-11, 12:49 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Time to visit your stealer ship.
Old 07-13-11, 03:30 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's probably the vvti cam issue; huge thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

May be carbon build-up, thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Both of these are exactly right. Both should also be covered by the 70k mile powertrain warranty, so get to your dealership right away. It'll be a few day job.
Old 07-13-11, 07:28 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, cam issue and possible carbon buildup. I would make an appointment at the dealer.
Old 07-13-11, 10:36 PM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

how much does it cost if u dont have warranty for both? I have the same problem but I dont have warranty.
Old 07-14-11, 05:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by misaghk
how much does it cost if u dont have warranty for both? I have the same problem but I dont have warranty.
Probably in the $1500-2000 range for both (the cam fix being the more expensive of the two)
Old 07-14-11, 07:30 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Problem #1 (cam gear issue) I just had fixed a month ago. The total cost was $1600. I've heard similar quotes for the carbon build-up problem.
Old 07-14-11, 07:43 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may or may not work for you but it's something I have noticed. I too have had the cam actuator noise and recorded it for my service advisor. Haven't taken the car in yet though and may not but that's another story.

Went to get an oil change from a buddy who uses clik 2000 5w30 full synthetic racing oil (I had mobil 1 synthetic from the dealership in there previously). This oil can go for 24K apparently though I don't intend to run it that long.

Anyhow, the noise was pretty long the first startup after filling the oil (b/c the pressure had to build back up) but that was the last I heard of it since then. It's been about 3 weeks since that oil change and I start her up each morning listening for it but so far so good.

This oil also had me down to 8.7L/100 km highway, which I had never seen before. Best mileage previously on the mobil1 was 9.8 L /100 km on a trip down to Boston. I'm back to 9.7L/100 km now but I'm basically doing all city driving again with A/C on...

Didn't drive her in today so we'll see if sitting an extra day allows the pressure to drop enough that the noise resurfaces. I'm crossing my fingers...
Old 07-14-11, 08:23 AM
misaghk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by embolism
This may or may not work for you but it's something I have noticed. I too have had the cam actuator noise and recorded it for my service advisor. Haven't taken the car in yet though and may not but that's another story.

Went to get an oil change from a buddy who uses clik 2000 5w30 full synthetic racing oil (I had mobil 1 synthetic from the dealership in there previously). This oil can go for 24K apparently though I don't intend to run it that long.

Anyhow, the noise was pretty long the first startup after filling the oil (b/c the pressure had to build back up) but that was the last I heard of it since then. It's been about 3 weeks since that oil change and I start her up each morning listening for it but so far so good.

This oil also had me down to 8.7L/100 km highway, which I had never seen before. Best mileage previously on the mobil1 was 9.8 L /100 km on a trip down to Boston. I'm back to 9.7L/100 km now but I'm basically doing all city driving again with A/C on...

Didn't drive her in today so we'll see if sitting an extra day allows the pressure to drop enough that the noise resurfaces. I'm crossing my fingers...
Thanx, I will try it.
By the way those problems will be serviced under powertrain warranty, right?
Old 07-14-11, 08:59 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

yes, (carbon buildup is a tsib so they may ask for proof it is happening -- take a video) but the other half of my story is my buddy who did the oil change said the cam actuator issue didn't hurt the car but if they don't fix it right (it is not an easy fix), the car won't be the same so I decided to just leave it for now. My powertrain warranty goes for another couple years so we'll see what happens...

i don't plan on selling the car so the occasional noise won't bother me (I say this now but ask me again in 2 years just before my warranty is up)
Old 07-14-11, 03:34 PM
dangtran09
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys for the help.

i've brought my IS to a local dealer and explained the two issues and also mentioned about the TSB. they said the difference between recalls/tsbs are recalls are mandatory and tsbs they would have to duplicate the problems in order to fix it.

so, this is the 2nd time i've been here with the same issues. the first time, a tech and myself test drove the vehicle around the block and unable to duplicate. and the 2nd time(yesterday), they were also unable to duplicate the 2 issues mentioned.

i advised them these issues don't happen all the time and it's a hit/miss ...happened liked 1 every 15-20 times. it's getting very frustrating. i don't know what else to do.

what are my options? please assist. thanks very much guys!
Old 07-14-11, 03:41 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Do you have a camera on your cell phone? A lot of people have the phone ready to record. If it happens again, record the gauges with your cell phone camera.

You should see the RPM drop below 500 when it sputters for a second or more, then kick back up. Worse case, it may stall... stalling in an automatic really makes you look bad
Old 07-14-11, 08:41 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by dangtran09
thanks guys for the help.

i've brought my IS to a local dealer and explained the two issues and also mentioned about the TSB. they said the difference between recalls/tsbs are recalls are mandatory and tsbs they would have to duplicate the problems in order to fix it.

so, this is the 2nd time i've been here with the same issues. the first time, a tech and myself test drove the vehicle around the block and unable to duplicate. and the 2nd time(yesterday), they were also unable to duplicate the 2 issues mentioned.

i advised them these issues don't happen all the time and it's a hit/miss ...happened liked 1 every 15-20 times. it's getting very frustrating. i don't know what else to do.

what are my options? please assist. thanks very much guys!
I can't speak to the carbon build-up because I have a 350, but I had the same issue as you. I was experiencing the cam gear issue and it was intermittent, and I was worried the dealer wouldn't be able to replicate.

Go to this thread and read through it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

(there's also a thread for the carbon build up, so read that as well)

In the above engine cranking thread, in the last few pages are links to a YouTube video and an audio file that people recorded of their cars having the start-up grinding noise. What I did was hold my iPhone up to my computer and play both files (the YouTube video and the audio file attachment, they're in different posts) and record them. Then when I went to my dealer and told them about the issue, I told them I'd recorded the sounds in case they couldn't replicate it. The service tech asked me to email him the file, he played it for the service manager and they clearly heard the grinding noise and went ahead and did the service.

Having these recorded audio files should be more than enough for most dealers to go ahead and do the work. Dealers vary widely, however, in how strict they are. If you get no luck at this dealer, go to a different one. All dealers know about these two issues (since they affect almost every single IS on the road and it's Lexus' highest-selling car) so they shouldn't require a preponderance of proof.
Old 07-19-11, 05:48 AM
dangtran09
Driver School Candidate

i wrote an email to the dealer general manager, service manager, customer service manager, service director last friday. also called lexus customer satisfaction hotline.

saturday afternoon, the service manager called and said they are willing to perform the 2 issues i complained about w/o verifying it.

they knew it all along. they just wanted to play games.

Quick Reply: engine problems