IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car has 68K (60K Service Missed) Needs Start-up Grind TSB AGAIN, Problems w/ Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 10:50 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car has 68K (60K Service Missed) Needs Start-up Grind TSB AGAIN, Problems w/ Dealer?

I've procrastinated doing the 60K service for my 350 (spark plug replacement & brake fluid changes mostly). Unfortunately, the start-up grind noise has RETURNED and will I need to take it into the dealer to do the TSB AGAIN.

Will the dealer give me any problems since I did not complete the spark plug change at 60,000 miles and I'm about 8K miles over?

I've read some threads on here where ppl were able to complete the spark plug change while having the start-up grind noise TSB to save costs, since the repairs overlap.

Is there any mileage leeway for the service maintenance schedule?

Or should I go ahead and do the spark plugs (and brake fluid) myself now and then do the TSB. I know the spark plugs are completely separate entity from the cam problem/grind noise, so they shouldn't be able to deny the TSB work. I just don't want the stealership to give me any excuses or runarounds as they are notoriously famous for and would like to avoid any roadblocks in getting this work done.

This car is really pissing me off that the start-up grind noise has again returned after just over a year. However, I guess I should be thankful that it returned right before my 70K Powertrain Warranty is set to expire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.
Old 07-17-11, 08:45 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rob stolen
I've procrastinated doing the 60K service for my 350 (spark plug replacement & brake fluid changes mostly). Unfortunately, the start-up grind noise has RETURNED and will I need to take it into the dealer to do the TSB AGAIN.

Will the dealer give me any problems since I did not complete the spark plug change at 60,000 miles and I'm about 8K miles over?

I've read some threads on here where ppl were able to complete the spark plug change while having the start-up grind noise TSB to save costs, since the repairs overlap.

Is there any mileage leeway for the service maintenance schedule?

Or should I go ahead and do the spark plugs (and brake fluid) myself now and then do the TSB. I know the spark plugs are completely separate entity from the cam problem/grind noise, so they shouldn't be able to deny the TSB work. I just don't want the stealership to give me any excuses or runarounds as they are notoriously famous for and would like to avoid any roadblocks in getting this work done.

This car is really pissing me off that the start-up grind noise has again returned after just over a year. However, I guess I should be thankful that it returned right before my 70K Powertrain Warranty is set to expire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.
I'm sorry about your issues, it sucks that problem's recurred. As far as "mileage leeway", there's no such thing, because it's only a recommended maintenance schedule. However, there are no ramifications for not keeping to this schedule UNLESS your not keeping to it directly leads to a failure of parts or other issue. In that case, the failure or issue will not be covered by warranty. It's very difficult to prove this, however, as you can imagine. And in your case, as you stated, being 8k over on your spark plug change (especially on a car with iridium spark plugs that can actually last much longer) should have no relation or correlation whatsoever to the cam gear issue. Add that to the fact that the cam gear issue affects all 2IS and is known to recur, and the dealer shouldn't make a stink over this.

My recommendation would be to go to your dealer, and ask them to do the spark plug change along with the cam gear TSIB. I had them done together right at 60k, and my labor cost for plugs was only $50 (half hour's labor) because all the pre-work overlaps with the cam gear TSIB. Buy your plugs from Sewell and provide them to the dealer to use. If the dealer gives you trouble, just go to a different dealer.
Old 07-17-11, 07:38 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

So, this is the second time this grinding issue has arose? WOW! I feel for you bro...but perhaps this will tell Lexus that hey, maybe these that we thought were good replacements really aren't!

Definitely have the plugs and whatever else done while there for the TSB; it'll cut down on ALOT of the labor costs.

GL!
Old 07-17-11, 09:26 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

check with your service adviser mine said there is a 1 year warranty on the part they did to fix the grind so if your out of factory warranty but still within 1 year of when you fix that then you can get that part replaced
Old 07-18-11, 07:42 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by my1s250
check with your service adviser mine said there is a 1 year warranty on the part they did to fix the grind so if your out of factory warranty but still within 1 year of when you fix that then you can get that part replaced
This is a good thing to keep in mind but it's moot in this case because he's still under the powertrain warranty.
Old 07-18-11, 08:09 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the grind issues too. Im wayy out of warranty tho and i dont the money to just drop 2k to fix it. I've read that its because not enough oil is getting to the top or whatever and that adding a little more oil will "HIDE" the noise. I added mayb quarter to half a quart of oil and the grind is gone. But you are still under warranty i see no reason to not take it back.
Old 07-18-11, 09:14 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if im wrong but shouldnt your powertrain warranty have been bumped to 100k, I know mine was bc of all the recalls....
Old 07-18-11, 09:26 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Correct me if im wrong but shouldnt your powertrain warranty have been bumped to 100k, I know mine was bc of all the recalls....
That's a good question for the OP. This would depend on the year of his 350 as well as whether he got the powertrain warranty extension to 100k miles or the $500 gift card, which was offered in place of the warranty extension in some cases (specifically, in states where the warranty extension couldn't be offered and in cases where the owner already had an extended VSA or CPO warranty).
Old 07-18-11, 11:39 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
My car was purchased CPO from Lexus 3 years ago. Therefore, Lexus offered me the $500 GC instead of the 100K warranty.

What pisses me off is that the CPO warranty (3yr/100K) expired several months ago due to time, NOT mileage. So Lexus automatically gave me the $500 since technically they stated that I already had a 100K warranty.

I would much rather have the extended warranty for the valve spring recall, and called Lexus corporate to argue my case, but they would not budge since I already had a 100K warranty.

Which sucks b/c when they offered me the gift card, I had just a few months left on my 3yr/100K CPO warranty.
Old 08-29-11, 12:43 PM
intellis
Pole Position

I feel your pain. I had my engine noise tsb completed awhile back, about a month ago, I heard a grinding noise on startup. It occurred about 8 out of 10 times, now it's gone. I got a feeling that this will be hard to "duplicate", but I'm going to tell my service provided about it anyways.