IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BMW 328is VS Lexus IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 01:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by two2tone
It would be nice to have an IS that can compete with BMW: M5 & Cadillac CTS-V tho (power-wise)

technically, there already is-
http://www.lexus.com/LFA/

But the eventual GS-F is probably more what you're looking for
Old 07-19-11, 09:33 PM
potatosink
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same boat... when I was trading my s2000 looking for a bmw 328 coupe space gray but I was looking for long term car with reliabilty and low maintenance. started searching for lexus is250 sgm then I found one with a better deal too hard to pass....My future brother in law bought bmw 328 coupe I get to drive that once in a while but lexus was far too comfortable with long drive
Old 07-19-11, 10:08 PM
e46
Rookie

Being a long time BMW owner I was looking at getting an e90. I compared both the 328i and the IS models and after must consideration decided on my CPO IS250. I drive about 70 miles for work everyday and the Lexus is more comfortable to ride in. Plus, it's got more gadgets for less money, I got the nav package which I think is great. I've only had my car for two weeks now, but love it much more than any bimmer I've owned. I'm very happy with Lexus so far. I've taken advantage of my free car washes several times already from the dealership also.
Old 07-19-11, 11:07 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to do a lot of distance driving rather than short runs around town. (A weekend may put 500-600+ miles on my car easy.)
Although lexus has a more comfortable interior than my passed cars, it is by far one of the most exhausting vehicle I have driven for a long distance.
it's inability to track straight on long distance freeway runs makes driving a chore rather than a pleasure. I think you would find the BMW much more refined and comfortable for those types of runs.

2cents
V
Old 07-20-11, 02:36 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually had a brand new BMW 328i sedan as a rental last year for a few days. Had something like 1,000 miles on it i think lol. It gave me the chance to take an extended test drive pretty much. I drove it from Socal to Norcal and back, and did a lot of driving on different types of roads so it was nice to see how the car was.

It's perfectly comfortable for highway driving, but compared to the IS250, i think there's a little more road noise in the 328i. The interior is comfortable in both, but i found the IS leather to be softer and, for me at least, that means more comfortable for long drives. As far as the back seat goes, the 328 does have a tiny bit better rear area if you ask me. Definately has a little bit more leg room in the rear than the IS250 does.

Interior is better on the IS250 though, the 328i has a nice interior but its so bland, especially without the navigation. I think the IS250 interior looks better with or without the navi. 328i interior is meant to be more sporty i guess, IS250 more luxury. I'd say IS250 interior is better if your gonna be spending a lot of time in your car.

Performance wise, 328i is a bit more fun to drive. BMW definately focuses on performance more, and when you hit the gas its different from hitting the gas in the IS. I didn't punch it much, but when i did it was fun! Thing definately moves quicker than i would have expected it too.

As far as MPG, i drove 90% highway on that BMW and i believe the MPG was 27.xx. If i do the same in my IS250, i usually get about 29.xx-31.xx. So the IS250 has the advantage in MPG's by the way i drive.

If you want more bang for your buck i'd go for an IS250 though, the BMW's are overpriced. Just try and compare a decently loaded 328i with a comparatively loaded IS250 and you'll notice it. I avoided BMW because at the time when i got my IS250 there was some reliability issues and maintenance is pretty expensive on them according to my friends that own newer model BMW's.

If your leasing, consider the BMW. Otherwise, i'd stick with the IS250. But in the end its all about how YOU feel about the cars
Old 07-20-11, 05:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleverName
I tend to do a lot of distance driving rather than short runs around town. (A weekend may put 500-600+ miles on my car easy.)
Although lexus has a more comfortable interior than my passed cars, it is by far one of the most exhausting vehicle I have driven for a long distance.
it's inability to track straight on long distance freeway runs makes driving a chore rather than a pleasure. I think you would find the BMW much more refined and comfortable for those types of runs.

2cents
V

Perhaps you have a problem with your tires or alignment?

I've never had the issues you describe on long trips with my IS350.... and I've taken a number of 500-600 mile trips with it.
Old 07-20-11, 06:18 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by CleverName

2cents
V
I've never had these issues, and I drive mainly on highways and do quite a few long distance trips each month. I also have very low profile tires on 18" rims, which should make me more susceptible to this type of issue than most. I do notice tramlining, but it's only at lower speeds and on uneven roads, and it's only due to the profile of my tires. On highways on long road trips, I've never had an issue of the car not "tracking straight".
Old 07-20-11, 08:53 AM
Numbahz
Driver

A few months ago I was in the same exact situation between the 328/250 & A4, upon loads of research and sitting and driving around several different colors/trims of these cars I made my decision. The Audi A4 I am not even sure why I put it on my short list to me I look at it now like wow.. I considered this? It's not the looker of the group in anyways and when I read the reviews of what happens after 50k I immeaditily moved on. The BMW 328xi def one of my dream cars I always always wanted one they are beautiful cars and still are the standout of the group, however I was not overally impressed with the interior style and comfort and upon reading more it seemed like I would have to put a little money into keeping the car maintained later on and coming out of almost 10k in repairs from my old equinox I did not want to go for that also the fact that everyone and there brothers are driving 3series I see far far too many on the road and I like to be different then everyone. The Lexus IS250 AWD was very appealing to me one because its styled so umm.. elgantly and sporty its looks are all there. The excellent realibilty reviews of Toyota/Lexus and about the car was what really drew me in, yea so it isnt as fast or handles as good however that wasnt my main priority. The Lexus interior fit & finish stood out far above the rest and the seats are incredibly comfortable, I have taken 6-8hr road trips about 4 hours non-stop I was very relaxed. Hopefully reading some of these reviews will sway you in the right direction but whatever it is I'm sure you wont be upset they are both my top 2 picks, Good Luck !!!
Old 07-20-11, 09:37 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I'm not surprised at the responses above, since we're on a Lexus forum. I'd be very interested to see what people on a BMW 3-Series forum would post as their responses to the exact same original post.

Anyone who browses BMW forums have any insights?

I imagine the biggest response from a BMW forum would be that the 328 offers superior performance/handling, which I think everyone here generally concedes. What I'm not sure of is how they'd respond to the other points we here pretty much take for granted as true:

1) IS interior is nicer
2) IS ride is better (from a comfort perspective)
3) IS is less expensive than BMW when optioned the same
4) IS is more reliable and less costly to maintain/repair than the BMW
5) IS gets slightly better gas mileage

I mean in the face of the above, it seems you'd have to value performance/handling much, MUCH more than all other factors combined (including price) to even consider the 328. So is this the case? Do BMW forum members/328 owners truly value performance over all these other things combined? Or do they disagree that the above listed factors are true?

I'm ignoring considerations like "valuing the BMW brand name" since I'm trying to focus on rational cost-benefit type thinking as opposed to arguments about image, but maybe that is a reason for BMW owners.

I can appreciate valuing performance above all other things, however for me to do so, I'd have to get quite a bit of performance out of the deal, and in this situation, it doesn't seem to be the case. Put another way, the performance/handling of the 328i does not seem to be superior enough over the IS250 to justify overlooking things like price, interior quality, reliability, gas mileage, etc. If you were comparing the GTR to another car that was less expensive, had a nicer interior, etc, then the argument could easily be made that the performance of the GTR more than offsets the other factors. But in this case, the 328i isn't exceptional enough to justify overlooking everything else, in my opinion.

Last edited by calvin2376; 07-20-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 11:42 AM
spooks
Driver School Candidate

Check out the BMW forums, as this forum will be a little more bias. I do know the maintenance is a lot more $$$ for BMW as my friend is a mechanic at BMW. I asked him why does it cost so much for basic service, etc. He said one of the main reasons is that BMW wants that "certain" class of owners. I was like GTFO, but he was dead serious. So from then on, BMW is not high my list!!!
Old 07-20-11, 11:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'm not surprised at the responses above, since we're on a Lexus forum. I'd be very interested to see what people on a BMW 3-Series forum would post as their responses to the exact same original post.

Anyone who browses BMW forums have any insights?

I imagine the biggest response from a BMW forum would be that the 328 offers superior performance/handling, which I think everyone here generally concedes. What I'm not sure of is how they'd respond to the other points we here pretty much take for granted as true:

1) IS interior is nicer
2) IS ride is better (from a comfort perspective)
3) IS is less expensive than BMW when optioned the same
4) IS is more reliable and less costly to maintain/repair than the BMW
5) IS gets slightly better gas mileage

I mean in the face of the above, it seems you'd have to value performance/handling much, MUCH more than all other factors combined (including price) to even consider the 328. So is this the case? Do BMW forum members/328 owners truly value performance over all these other things combined? Or do they disagree that the above listed factors are true?

I'm ignoring considerations like "valuing the BMW brand name" since I'm trying to focus on rational cost-benefit type thinking as opposed to arguments about image, but maybe that is a reason for BMW owners.

I can appreciate valuing performance above all other things, however for me to do so, I'd have to get quite a bit of performance out of the deal, and in this situation, it doesn't seem to be the case. Put another way, the performance/handling of the 328i does not seem to be superior enough over the IS250 to justify overlooking things like price, interior quality, reliability, gas mileage, etc. If you were comparing the GTR to another car that was less expensive, had a nicer interior, etc, then the argument could easily be made that the performance of the GTR more than offsets the other factors. But in this case, the 328i isn't exceptional enough to justify overlooking everything else, in my opinion.
The problem with the idea that 328 buyers just value performance THAT much is that the 328 costs more than the IS350.

And the 328 offers embarrassingly poor performance compared to the 350.

As I said, I can't find any reason ever to buy a new 328 at the price they get for it.

(it's possible BMW resale is so poor compared to Lexus that looking at a 5 year old one might make them look better, if you ignore the maintenance/reliability issue)
Old 07-20-11, 12:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

You'd be surprised how many people I know wanted a BMW just because it's a BMW. lol a lot of people do value the brand name, even if it means overlooking "better" cars in the same price range.
Old 07-20-11, 12:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The problem with the idea that 328 buyers just value performance THAT much is that the 328 costs more than the IS350.

And the 328 offers embarrassingly poor performance compared to the 350.

As I said, I can't find any reason ever to buy a new 328 at the price they get for it.

(it's possible BMW resale is so poor compared to Lexus that looking at a 5 year old one might make them look better, if you ignore the maintenance/reliability issue)
This is a good point, but if they didn't buy the 328 for the performance, I see literally no reason whatsoever aside from the BMW name....and I'm trying to give our BMW friends the benefit of the doubt here.
Old 07-20-11, 01:11 PM
weziebme
Rookie

Great info guys..... I am picking up a 2006 is350 saturday, and reading this thread makes me feel 110% certain I made the right choice!
Old 07-20-11, 01:36 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by weziebme
Great info guys..... I am picking up a 2006 is350 saturday, and reading this thread makes me feel 110% certain I made the right choice!
Be sure to look it over carefully, particular with the info posted here in mind: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Quick Reply: BMW 328is VS Lexus IS 250