Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 02:22 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just for chuckles I went to a bmw forum and searched for posts on lexus

typical comments:
"bmw beats toyota every time"
"for $500 a 335 will smoke a 350 and you'll be hanging with porsches, lambos and z06s"
"yeah it's 10K more but you get free maintenance..."
"interior is not cheap but classic..."

That last one had me in stitches...

This was generally people who were driving new bmw's though. I saw some others where they were 3 years old and around 50K, on their second or third HPFP, with both turbo's blown saying they should have leased...
Old 07-20-11, 02:35 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL @ that! since when is maintenance 10k?!? Maybe if you drive a BMW.... The free service is only for 4 years/50k miles too..

Last edited by KillaIS250; 07-20-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 04:02 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by embolism
just for chuckles I went to a bmw forum and searched for posts on lexus

typical comments:
"bmw beats toyota every time"
"for $500 a 335 will smoke a 350 and you'll be hanging with porsches, lambos and z06s"
"interior is not cheap but classic..."

That last one had me in stitches...

This was generally people who were driving new bmw's though. I saw some others where they were 3 years old and around 50K, on their second or third HPFP, with both turbo's blown saying they should have leased...
Awesome post, this is hilarious. I guess this is generally what I expected: either irrational ("yeah it's 10k more but you get free maintenance"), ill-informed ("for $500 a 335 will smoke a 350 and you'll be hanging with porsches, lambos and z06s"), or downright delusional ("interior is not cheap but classic...") arguments. Because when you really look at it, there isn't a rational way to justify it.
Old 07-21-11, 07:19 PM
bmaez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'm not surprised at the responses above, since we're on a Lexus forum. I'd be very interested to see what people on a BMW 3-Series forum would post as their responses to the exact same original post.
I've asked the same question on a BMW forum and was surprised at the responses. For the most part it was recommended that I go with the Lexus only because of the type of driving I do.

I was told that the BMW is more of a spirited ride and may be a little harsher then what I was looking for.

I appreciate everyones comments.
Old 07-21-11, 07:29 PM
bmaez
Driver

Originally Posted by Numbahz
A few months ago I was in the same exact situation between the 328/250 & A4, upon loads of research and sitting and driving around several different colors/trims of these cars I made my decision. The Audi A4 I am not even sure why I put it on my short list to me I look at it now like wow.. I considered this? It's not the looker of the group in anyways and when I read the reviews of what happens after 50k I immeaditily moved on. The BMW 328xi def one of my dream cars I always always wanted one they are beautiful cars and still are the standout of the group, however I was not overally impressed with the interior style and comfort and upon reading more it seemed like I would have to put a little money into keeping the car maintained later on and coming out of almost 10k in repairs from my old equinox I did not want to go for that also the fact that everyone and there brothers are driving 3series I see far far too many on the road and I like to be different then everyone. The Lexus IS250 AWD was very appealing to me one because its styled so umm.. elgantly and sporty its looks are all there. The excellent realibilty reviews of Toyota/Lexus and about the car was what really drew me in, yea so it isnt as fast or handles as good however that wasnt my main priority. The Lexus interior fit & finish stood out far above the rest and the seats are incredibly comfortable, I have taken 6-8hr road trips about 4 hours non-stop I was very relaxed. Hopefully reading some of these reviews will sway you in the right direction but whatever it is I'm sure you wont be upset they are both my top 2 picks, Good Luck !!!
How do you like the AWD? Is it worth it? Does it handle well in light snow?
Old 07-21-11, 10:35 PM
e46
Rookie

This is a good point, but if they didn't buy the 328 for the performance, I see literally no reason whatsoever aside from the BMW name....and I'm trying to give our BMW friends the benefit of the doubt here.
The BMW name does carry a lot weight. It's funny how many people thought my 9 year old 3 series was worth "a ton" of money. I had good luck with all of my BMWs and never paid much for maintenance, mainly because I have a good mechanic and never went to the stealership for repairs. I love my 2IS much more though and I wouldn't go back anytime soon.
Old 08-03-11, 12:30 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by bmaez
Has anyone compared these two during your car purchasing experience? I'm looking more for the comfort of the ride.

I do quite a bit of highway driving and my current car really take a lot out of me to the point when I reach my destination I feel sore and exhausted. I like the look of both cars and the BMW seems to have more of a back seat. The fuel mileage and features seem similar.

If you have any insight on the maintenance cost and reliability please include this as well.

Thanks,
If you're doing tons of highway driving I'd consider an ES350. I know it's jot a sporty ride but it's smooths and it will really lower the exhaustion from driving long distances. I drive an is250 around town and a ES for longer highway trips.
Old 08-03-11, 02:58 AM
phanster
Driver School Candidate

damn this is the perfect thread for me. I've been searching for a good ISx50 for a while now with a good price but lately it's been going up in my area (maybe because it's summer) so my second option was look at 328's... but after reading this thread I think ima just keep waiting it out
Old 08-03-11, 06:00 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by phanster
damn this is the perfect thread for me. I've been searching for a good ISx50 for a while now with a good price but lately it's been going up in my area (maybe because it's summer) so my second option was look at 328's... but after reading this thread I think ima just keep waiting it out
You mean prices on ISX50s are going up? That's not just ISX50s - it's all used cars. 328i prices are increasing as well. It's because the used car market is especially hot right now. No matter what car you choose, it'll be best to wait it out a few months.
Old 08-03-11, 07:19 AM
raywest
Driver

If this helps... I just bought a 2011 IS 250
Old 08-03-11, 06:07 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by raywest
If this helps... I just bought a 2011 IS 250
Congratulations!
Old 08-03-11, 06:27 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean prices on ISX50s are going up? That's not just ISX50s - it's all used cars. 328i prices are increasing as well. It's because the used car market is especially hot right now. No matter what car you choose, it'll be best to wait it out a few months.
Why is this the case? I too noticed the increase in used car prices but have no idea what triggered the "hotness".

I've been meaning to sell my G35 but had to part out all the aftermarket parts for stock parts so its been a while - I appraised it on KBB this January w/ 93k miles at around $11,600. Two days ago I appraised it again (same options, zip code, etc.) except with the odo reading 104k and its valued at $12,700. Not that I'm complaining.
Old 08-03-11, 06:49 PM
yoegster
Driver

So much talk about 3 BMW vs IS. I went from 330xi to IS 350 AWD. No doubt, BMW has a bit more tightness (I only have F-Sport Wheels and Intake). But that is it. IS has better features, quicker 0-60 and bottom line will be cheaper to maintain, especially in 4 years. BMW 3 is a great car. And for 4 years you worry about nothing. Love the F-Sport accessory line. BMW will cost you more out the door but you are paying for 4 years worth of maintenance upfront. Could have bought a new 3 BMW 335 X-Drive, didn't, no regrets.
Old 08-03-11, 08:09 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Why is this the case? I too noticed the increase in used car prices but have no idea what triggered the "hotness".

I've been meaning to sell my G35 but had to part out all the aftermarket parts for stock parts so its been a while - I appraised it on KBB this January w/ 93k miles at around $11,600. Two days ago I appraised it again (same options, zip code, etc.) except with the odo reading 104k and its valued at $12,700. Not that I'm complaining.
There's a bunch of reasons, but the big ones are 1) the recession means people don't have the resources to buy as many new cars so they're leaning toward used, and 2) the recession also means people are holding onto cars longer so supply of used cars is tight.

http://popurls.com/viewbar/la4f1a69c...d572130aa80a1e
http://popurls.com/viewbar/l89c34a6f...f60d19277f751f

Originally Posted by yoegster
BMW will cost you more out the door but you are paying for 4 years worth of maintenance upfront.
Let's be careful not to drink the BMW marketing Kool-Aid and remember what's actually involved in maintenance in the first 4 years. For the IS, it's oil changes, filter changes, tire rotations, and one brake fluid flush. Oil changes are $50, filters are $20 and can be done by yourself, and a brake fluid flush is ~$100. Now of course, BMW brochures will state that 4 years' worth of maintenance is worth thousands of dollars, because that's what BMW dealers would charge if you asked for each "__k service".
Old 08-03-11, 08:16 PM
kannon
Pole Position

^ lol but on the 335i the dealerships are having to do thousands of dollars of work.

Quick Reply: BMW 328is VS Lexus IS 250