IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Moonroof Wont Close/Noise in dash (not your normal rattle) with video inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 02:44 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moonroof Wont Close/Noise in dash (not your normal rattle) with video inside

had the WEIRDEST noise come from my dash board behind the glove box closer to the passenger side.. It sounded like an air compressor. I was able to record this awful noise with my iphone but dont know how to upload it on here( Help please ) anyways Im dumbfounded as to what is causing this noise.. My A/C was off when this happened the first time. Also happened while the A/C was on to. SO that being said has ANYONE had these types of problems with there 2IS x50 ANYBODY>???http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4ApyvMDrg

Last edited by MIA_LEX; 08-08-11 at 11:42 AM. Reason: it was neccessary
Old 07-21-11, 03:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Air Compressor sound might be the blower motor? Those don't usually have issues though. Unrelated to your moonroof issue too if its the blower motor.

If you wanna upload the video, go to Youtube and sign up for an account if you haven't already, then you should be able to follow this and do it....
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_...e_youtube.html
Then just sign in to your youtube account on your computer and copy and paste the link to the video here.

Not had any problems or heard many issues with the moonroof, so i'll let someone else chime in on that one.
Old 07-21-11, 03:18 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same sunroof issue and they replaced the motor...
Old 07-23-11, 08:34 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Well Im out of warranty so the moonroof remains closed for now i guess.. and its a recording on my phone not a video...I dont have a videocamera.. My car made the noise again last night it does it for about 30 seconds then cuts off. Any suggestions.. Id really like to upload this soundclip.. You guys will be shocked at this noise my precious lexus is making..
Old 07-23-11, 09:34 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

there was one occasion when my moonroof wasnt closing. I got scared, but after restarting my car a few times it started working again thank god... if i were you i would just never open my moonroof again if you cant find a quick fix lol. Or you could also try bringing your car into another dealership. When i had a problem with my trunk not opening last month the dealer told me i had to replace the lock and some other small parts, totaling up to 500 with parts and labor. I drove to the next closest dealership and they found out it was a programing problem. Solved it for 100. Sometimes techs will catch things others did not. As for the noise, you should definitely have that resolved by lexus. tell them how your disappointed with these aggrevating problems your car is experiencing, and maybe theyll be easy on you with labor. I know how you feel since i have had tons of small problems with my car. I hate that feeling of being nervous as i drive my car with something acting up. Good luck!
Old 07-23-11, 10:05 AM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Did your battery die or did you disconnect the battery in anyway? I had a problem with the moon roof being stuck on tilt as well. I left my moon roof on tilt and it killed my battery. After getting a jump start, I could not get it to close. Started turning the switch to each position but, no luck. I finally thought about the window reset method. I pushed and held down (try for at least 20 seconds) on the entire turn switch, and waited for it to open up completely and then go back to closing completely. My moon roof was fixed afterwards.
Old 07-30-11, 09:05 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Hey i tried to upload the sound onto youtube but its not working... its an amr file... Im trying to figure out how to make it work so you guys can hear this noise
Old 08-01-11, 01:55 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

got the video uploaded this is the noise i am referring to... This has happen with the car on with the a/c on.. its happen with the car on with the ac off and it has happened right after i turned the car off... So I have absolutely no way of pinpointing this thing with out spending cash as the dealer so help me out CL WHAT DO YOU THINK IS MAKING THAT NOISE??
Old 08-01-11, 02:11 PM
Miggs
Driver

I had a similar issue with the moonroof on mine. Try calibrating it.

With car running Push in and HOLD the sunroof button for 15 seconds.

GOOD LUCK
Old 08-01-11, 04:11 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you sir...Anyone anyone know what is making that noise in my car...
Old 08-01-11, 07:30 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Thank you sir...Anyone anyone know what is making that noise in my car...
Blower motor. Happened on my E55. Haven't seen this as an issue on the 2IS, but that's sure what it sounds like.
Old 08-01-11, 07:49 PM
Enginerd
Driver

My moonroof does that from time to time. To reset the moonroof I just turn the car on and push in / up and hold the round moonroof button / dial for 30 - 45 seconds and it will close. I think the re-set procedure is in the owners manual. If it resets and closes it should be fine. Sorry, just saw the previous post so you already know.
Old 08-01-11, 11:28 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

blowerr motor... dammm thats weird my a/c is working perfectly fine.. i dont understand and this noise happened 20 seconds after i turned the car off. It has happened 4 times now.... more inquiries please
Old 08-02-11, 02:15 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

I heard a similar noise coming from the glove compartment. I removed the cabin filter cover and found a piece of paper stuck and the blower was hitting it making that sound. The paper got sucked in through the tiny slit btween the cover and glove box. I would check in there first, maybe something similar happened to your car?
Old 08-02-11, 08:24 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Going to check my cabin filter now thanks for the suggestion... So no one else has heard this noise and got it fixed??

Quick Reply: Moonroof Wont Close/Noise in dash (not your normal rattle) with video inside