IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F-Sport mods and Certified Pre Owned question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 03:45 PM
mike51O
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport mods and Certified Pre Owned question

I just recently bought my car 6-30-11, and I bought the car as a certified pre owned 3yrs/100k warranty, I want to stick with F sport mods because I hear it doesn't void warranty since its made by Lexus?

Question is if I install any of these mods (F-Sport Intake, Exhaust, Rims, Sway Bars, Springs, Shocks) by myself or by a local car mechanic, does that mean you have 12 month warranty on those items that will be covered by Lexus?

Or

IF I get any of those F-Sport mods installed by Lexus dealership, does that mean Ill have 12 months warranty on those parts or will Lexus honor my CPO and cover those
F-Sport mods up to 3yrs/100k miles?
Old 07-22-11, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

They have to be installed at a Lexus dealer for the warranty to work
Old 07-22-11, 04:17 PM
mike51O
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They have to be installed at a Lexus dealer for the warranty to work
Yep, so thats one benefit of getting it installed at Lexus , especially with someone who has a Certified Pre Owned? cause that means the warranty on those FSport items will last forever lol
Old 07-22-11, 05:56 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

There other stuff out there beside fsport. That are better and at the same cost. One year warranty on item is not a big deal. Plus warranty on your car can't be void unless they can prove without an dout that your parts are the cause.
Old 07-22-11, 06:09 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me clear this up. If you purchase genuine F-Sport parts from a Lexus dealer and have them installed at a Lexus dealer, then they will automatically be covered just like the rest of your car (that is, they'll be covered under the CPO warranty).

If you do not buy the F-Sport parts from a Lexus dealer, OR you do not have them installed at a Lexus dealer, then they are NOT covered by the CPO warranty like the rest of the car. In this situation, the only warranty that applies is a 12-month parts-only warranty.

All this info can be found very easily online, at Lexus' website:

"F Sport Equipment is warranted for 12 months from the date of installation or for the balance of the new-car or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty in force at the date of installation, whichever is greater, when installed by an authorized Lexus dealer. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. F Sport Equipment installed by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer is warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase only, and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the F Sport Equipment. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. Part failure caused by improper installation by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer may void the F Sport Equipment warranty, the new-vehicle warranty or both."

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/f-sport/

Therefore, if you're not going to have the parts installed by a Lexus dealer, then there's no reason you must go with the F-Sport parts, since they won't be covered under the CPO warranty just like a different aftermarket product wouldn't be covered either. Many people on CL prefer certain F-Sport parts, but in other cases there are clearly better alternatives (the Joe Z intake, for example, which is much less expensive than the F-Sport intake and offers the same benefits).

Last edited by calvin2376; 07-22-11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 06:13 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you plan to go low...don't get the F Sport springs. MANY people have sold them in favor of coilovers. The F Sport intake is Carb approved in CA though and the sways are awesome.
Old 07-22-11, 07:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
If you plan to go low...don't get the F Sport springs. MANY people have sold them in favor of coilovers. The F Sport intake is Carb approved in CA though and the sways are awesome.
Agreed. I went the F-Sport Spring/shock route first and ended up getting coilovers. Could have saved near $700 by going coils first.

OP, most parts you see on here are legit and you shouldn't have any problems. Installation can be done cheaper by a reputable shop than a dealer such as Exact Motorsports or Sonic MS. Heck if your local I could install the intake for you lol.

As Sffd103 said, the Intake with its CARB sticker is a major plus for this intake compared to others. Also the sway bars may very well be the best bang for your buck mod you do
Old 07-23-11, 05:33 AM
mike51O
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Let me clear this up. If you purchase genuine F-Sport parts from a Lexus dealer and have them installed at a Lexus dealer, then they will automatically be covered just like the rest of your car (that is, they'll be covered under the CPO warranty).

If you do not buy the F-Sport parts from a Lexus dealer, OR you do not have them installed at a Lexus dealer, then they are NOT covered by the CPO warranty like the rest of the car. In this situation, the only warranty that applies is a 12-month parts-only warranty.

All this info can be found very easily online, at Lexus' website:

"F Sport Equipment is warranted for 12 months from the date of installation or for the balance of the new-car or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty in force at the date of installation, whichever is greater, when installed by an authorized Lexus dealer. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. F Sport Equipment installed by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer is warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase only, and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the F Sport Equipment. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. Part failure caused by improper installation by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer may void the F Sport Equipment warranty, the new-vehicle warranty or both."

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/f-sport/

Therefore, if you're not going to have the parts installed by a Lexus dealer, then there's no reason you must go with the F-Sport parts, since they won't be covered under the CPO warranty just like a different aftermarket product wouldn't be covered either. Many people on CL prefer certain F-Sport parts, but in other cases there are clearly better alternatives (the Joe Z intake, for example, which is much less expensive than the F-Sport intake and offers the same benefits).
Thank you for clearing that up, so in reality 1 year warranty anit even all that. And theres no way in hell i'm ordering from Lexus directly and having them install its going to cost a fortune!, I was planning to buy the F sport springs off ebay or something. So realisticly If i were to buy F Sport Springs/Shocks, i could be saving some money if i just went for coilovers and adjust the height..
Old 07-23-11, 07:24 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly. With the amount of money you would spend on the F Sport shocks and springs you would be close in range to the Megan EZ's coils. Look at Circuit Motorsports in the vendor section. They have competitive pricing and members gave been happy with their customer service.

Other brands of coils are BC Racing (very popular with members), D2, KW, Form Function, Stance. Some start getting pricey, but you'll have all the adjustability you want later.
Old 07-23-11, 03:17 PM
mike51O
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Exactly. With the amount of money you would spend on the F Sport shocks and springs you would be close in range to the Megan EZ's coils. Look at Circuit Motorsports in the vendor section. They have competitive pricing and members gave been happy with their customer service.

Other brands of coils are BC Racing (very popular with members), D2, KW, Form Function, Stance. Some start getting pricey, but you'll have all the adjustability you want later.
Yeah I was reading that Megan Ez Coil thread last night, alot of people seem very happy with those coilovers.. I'm really considering to get those for my car now.. Probably just a better idea overall long run.. I have never owned coilovers just spring on another car, is it pretty easy and convenient when you want to adjust the ride height? How long does it to usually take to switch up the drop? Is it complicated or pretty straight forward?
Old 07-23-11, 03:31 PM
jackjackng
Driver School Candidate

i just buy out my lease IS350 and they certified it with my tanabe exhaust on it, serviced without void anything. Void Warranty or not really depands on where the after market parts is in your car.
Old 07-23-11, 05:05 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by jackjackng
i just buy out my lease IS350 and they certified it with my tanabe exhaust on it, serviced without void anything. Void Warranty or not really depands on where the after market parts is in your car.
They can still certify a car that has aftermarket parts on it; the aftermarket parts just won't be covered. I can guarantee you that your Certified warranty does NOT cover your Tanabe exhaust. The Certified warranty you have covers everything on your car that is genuine Lexus and either stock or installed by a Lexus dealer. Your Tanabe exhaust is not covered by your Certified warranty. I verified this when I bought my Certified car. It had an F-Sport exhaust on it that they said wasn't covered because it was aftermarket. I had to show them in the service history that the exhaust was installed by a dealer, so it was in fact covered by the Certified warranty.

And to reiterate something that's been beaten to death on CL, you cannot "void" any warranty by installing an aftermarket part. All that happens is that the warranty will not cover that aftermarket part, nor anything that fails because of a failure of that part. So it has nothing to do with where an aftermarket part is installed on your car. If you have a CPO warranty and you install an aftermarket exhaust (like Tanabe), your CPO warranty still applies in exactly the same way as before except that it won't cover your Tanabe exhaust, nor anything that breaks as a result of the failure of your Tanabe exhaust.
Old 07-23-11, 07:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Your warranty isn't going to cover anything aftermarket. They will quickly turn you away if the faulty part is not a Lexus genuine part.
Old 07-23-11, 08:15 PM
mike51O
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
They can still certify a car that has aftermarket parts on it; the aftermarket parts just won't be covered. I can guarantee you that your Certified warranty does NOT cover your Tanabe exhaust. The Certified warranty you have covers everything on your car that is genuine Lexus and either stock or installed by a Lexus dealer. Your Tanabe exhaust is not covered by your Certified warranty. I verified this when I bought my Certified car. It had an F-Sport exhaust on it that they said wasn't covered because it was aftermarket. I had to show them in the service history that the exhaust was installed by a dealer, so it was in fact covered by the Certified warranty.

And to reiterate something that's been beaten to death on CL, you cannot "void" any warranty by installing an aftermarket part. All that happens is that the warranty will not cover that aftermarket part, nor anything that fails because of a failure of that part. So it has nothing to do with where an aftermarket part is installed on your car. If you have a CPO warranty and you install an aftermarket exhaust (like Tanabe), your CPO warranty still applies in exactly the same way as before except that it won't cover your Tanabe exhaust, nor anything that breaks as a result of the failure of your Tanabe exhaust.
But if they see the aftermarket part when you bring it in, will they mark you down for that? So for example if i put aftermarket coilovers and they saw it when i brought it in and lets say one day something happens to my aftermarket suspension, I decide to reinstall the stock suspension, will they then cover the suspension since its back to Stock?
Old 07-24-11, 06:34 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by mike51O
But if they see the aftermarket part when you bring it in, will they mark you down for that? So for example if i put aftermarket coilovers and they saw it when i brought it in and lets say one day something happens to my aftermarket suspension, I decide to reinstall the stock suspension, will they then cover the suspension since its back to Stock?
That's a fairly complicated and unique hypothetical. If you had a totally stock car covered 100% by a factory or CPO warranty, then you installed (or had installed by someone) an aftermarket (non-Lexus) part like coilovers, then everything on your car would be covered exactly the same as before, except the coilovers and anything that happened as a result of the failure of the coilovers. The latter can be fairly broad - for example, coilovers can put more stress on certain suspension components than the stock setup, so if a ball joint or something were to wear out while you had coilovers, the dealer might argue that the coilovers caused the premature wear and refuse to cover it under warranty.

Now if you were to then remove the coilovers and return the suspension to completely stock, I think the determination of whether it would be covered would be due to several factors. The first is whether the dealer ever knew you had the aftermarket parts on. My guess is that if you brought your car in with a stock suspension and the dealer never knew you'd had any aftermarket parts on, they'd warranty it unless there was anything suspicious. So if you've taken your car with its aftermarket parts on it to a certain dealer, when you got it back to stock you could try taking it to a different dealer that didn't know you'd had aftermarket parts on. The second factor is who reinstalled the stock system. If you had an aftermarket suspension and brought it to a Lexus dealer to have them reinstall the stock setup, I think you'd have a better chance of having it covered by warranty.

The above is speculation though, as yours is a rare hypothetical and I don't think many people actually encounter this issue. My advice would be this: if you're that concerned about having full warranty coverage, then modifying a component as crucial as the suspension with non-Lexus aftermarket parts might not be for you. When you install an aftermarket exhaust, you're not opening yourself up to much warranty-coverage risk. Your exhaust is no longer covered, but if your exhaust "fails" somehow, it's not going to cause much damage to other parts or anything significant. However if you install coils, you could potentially be opening yourself up to a situation where the coils fail or they stress another component, causing that component to fail, which means it's all out of pocket for you.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from any particular mod, I just think you need to operate under the assumption with these mods that they will not be covered by warranty, and whether that's acceptable to you in the face of the mod's benefits.