IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just hit 85k, When does it make sense to trade in/sell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 07:56 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
Also looked up the KBB Trade in value of a 2005 IS300 with 170,000 miles and its getting about $7k. even at that...its a nice down payment towards a new one in the future...along with all the $$ I've saved with no payment.
I think the 2IS will have even better resale value than the IS300 at that mileage. The IS300 was very different from the 2IS - it wasn't nearly as high-volume, had fairly unique styling that put off some buyers, and I think was viewed as more sporty than luxury (even if that perception wasn't borne out). The 2IS in contrast has much more widely-appealing styling, is geared largely toward luxury but is also sporty, and is much more modern in its looks and options than the IS300. I think the 2IS will hold up better in the face of the 3IS than the 1IS did in the face of the 2IS for this reason. So I think you'll be looking at better resale than comparable 1IS models.
Old 07-27-11, 04:18 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Was thinking the same thing. Not to mention, your 350 is going to be more rare than a 1IS or even a 2IS 250 so you have that going for you as well. Just keep it in good condition (duh!)
Old 07-27-11, 07:38 PM
dproto09
Driver School Candidate

You guys are making me feel bad about my 3month old 2008 IS250. You guys make me want to go sign paper for a IsF now. lol That would be a lot of lonely night staying home to make those payment. A 2008 IS-F is still going for 43k. :'( I think i might go back to dreaming.
Old 07-27-11, 08:13 PM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

lol this thread is making me want to sell my 08 IS awd with 19,000 miles on it... decision decision decision
Old 07-27-11, 10:13 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking only in terms of money, *all things being equal* it is always better to keep what you have and repair (the reason is the first year depreciation on a vehicle).

There are a number of other factors that can influence the "all things equal" bit, like maybe you anticipate very expensive repairs coming up, etc. And of course some things beyond pure dollar savings matter in different amounts to different people.

Historically I seem to drive a car for about 8 years, 130k miles on average. I end up getting something new not out of pure necessity but convenience, knowing that I am foregoing more of my income. The decision to get this car was not done solely with money in mind, or I would have just kept fixing my old car. My plan is to try to get 10+ years out of this car, but only time will tell.

The one change to this I might suggest is if you have a car with a lot of electronics (nav etc) and a reputation for poor reliability (BMW, Mercedes, etc) then keeping it beyond the warranty can get a little scary since the replacement of a nav system or certain components can get really costly.
Old 07-28-11, 07:21 AM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

^^^ i think it depends on driving style and luck. there are a lot of people here have navigation problems and that repair costs roughly about 2000. ive never owned bmw or mb, but the same repair should be around the neighborhood.
Old 07-28-11, 07:38 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Keep it. Not oweing anyone anything feels so so so good.
The burden is lifted. Who's to say you have a job next year too?
I'm no bible beater but I love the saying in the bible that says borrow from none. I use to be $8k in debt not including my car payment. There was so much stress involved with that... Now all I have is my car to pay off & I can't wait for the "free" feeling.
This car will last a long time brother. Enjoy it.
How many cars at this price do you know that have:
-LED interior map lamps
-push button start
-smart card key that fits in wallet
-smooth gliding ash tray, drink holder, & sunglass holder
-touch sensitive exterior door handles
-LED gauge cluster that does a nice dance
-footwell LED's
-illuminated door sills
-smooth ride
-auto open/close sunroof & windows
-telescopic steering wheel
-heated/cooled seats
-touchscreen nav.... Literally. Touch screen. Everyone has that crap mouse style or push button junk
-quiet interior
My list goes on...
Old 07-28-11, 08:27 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by delphiDH
^^^ i think it depends on driving style and luck. there are a lot of people here have navigation problems and that repair costs roughly about 2000. ive never owned bmw or mb, but the same repair should be around the neighborhood.
That's why I added the clarification that I was talking only from a monetary standpoint that its better to keep than buy new every few years. If someone is driving their car hard/aggressively, money is probably not their top motivation, because there is an understanding they are burning more fuel and putting more wear on the car by doing that. Luck can also play a part -- maybe the car is in an accident thats not the owner's fault, and is never quite the same after the wreck (been there myself).

I personally opt out of integrated nav systems, partially because of the potential repair costs. I've heard of people (not in the 2nd Gen IS but in other makes) being quote repair costs of over $5k for a broken down nav system, on the grounds that it was "integrated with the climate control system", so a $2k repair bill for a nav system is probably making out alright.
Old 07-28-11, 12:45 PM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

^^^ point noted! I didn't know fixing navi for other make could cost that much... it's nice to know though! I guess I will dump my car if I have to fix the navi system.
Old 07-28-11, 12:59 PM
Peaches79
Rookie

I have an 06' 350 and just hit 86k. I played around back in Dec. when I had about 70k on the car and the highest amount I was offered for a trade was 17,500. Everyone else came back at black book 16k. My car is SUPER clean and fully loaded with nav and mark levinson too.. I decided to keep it and, as you said, run it into the ground. I have had one problem but it was covered under warranty. I love my car and just couldn't part ways with it regardless of having a car payment or not. These cars are known to go a long time. Plus the thought of having another car payment for another 3-5 years made my stomach turn! lol
Old 07-28-11, 01:15 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say, going from not having a car payment to having a car payment sucks. Can't wait till I dont have one again ...though I do love my car
Old 07-28-11, 01:33 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Peaches79
I have an 06' 350 and just hit 86k. I played around back in Dec. when I had about 70k on the car and the highest amount I was offered for a trade was 17,500. Everyone else came back at black book 16k. My car is SUPER clean and fully loaded with nav and mark levinson too.. I decided to keep it and, as you said, run it into the ground.
Ironically you can probably get more money for your car now than you could back in December, only because the used car market is so much hotter.

I just checked Autotrader and 2006 IS350s with 80-90k miles are going for $20-21k.

Go figure.
Old 07-28-11, 01:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If your concern is how to NOT lose money, getting a new car is the worst thing. With a new car, you lock yourself into longterm debt and also gain depreciation all over again. Keeping what you have nets you the least output and the most longterm savings. However, we are all car lovers here, so I know it's hard to let the financial factors be the number one consideration.