IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS250 Mod Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 02:03 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS250 Mod Recommendations

Greetings! I'm a noob here and have been reading through the different threads on how folks have mod'ed their ISx50's. I'd like to do some mild things and am asking for some suggestions.

My 2011 IS250 does not have the F-Sport package (we really wanted the ventilated seats). We do have the 18" 5-spoke wheels that were chromed, a clear bra, and window tint. Here is a link to my welcome post with multiple pictures of the car: click here

I'm thinking of the following mods;
I don't want to go too radical with these mods (i.e. I'm not gonna drop it to the ground...). However, I'm looking to give it a slightly different look so it is unique and sporty. Any other ideas for mods are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Below is a picture of the car:

Last edited by Dustin2011; 07-27-11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 02:09 PM
jv250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome!

1. The springs will work with the stock springs, but since they are progressive, it will wear out faster, and hence they work much better alongside the F-Sport Blistein Shock Set.

2. Sway bars will make your ride a little stiffer, not much, but it does eliminate some of the body roll on higher speed turns. If your preference is on handling, this would be a good choice to start out with.

3. As you did skip on the F-Sport package, you can always add on the F-Sport lip kit from Sewell (well known vendor for Club Lexus).

Notes: If you wanted to go the performance route, I'd start with the F-Sport Intake (or Joe Z aftermarket) to give your car a little more growl, but nothing radical as you said.
Old 07-26-11, 05:40 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jv250
2. Sway bars will make your ride a little stiffer, not much, but it does eliminate some of the body roll on higher speed turns. If your preference is on handling, this would be a good choice to start out with.
Incorrect. Sway bars have zero effect on stiffness. All they do is reduce body roll. It was also the first mod I did to my car and it noticeably improves the handling with zero drawbacks.

As far as minor mods go, I like the roof spoilers. Do a search, they're are plenty of topics on it. I went with one from oem.things on Ebay as many others did. Fairly cheap and gives the car a nice look.
Old 07-26-11, 06:06 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Thicker swaybar will make the car ride harsher because independency between left and Right side is decreased.

If you run squarely over speed bump, you won't feel it because left and right wheel bump and rebound at the same time.

But if you run over a pothole on your left rear, your left rear wheel will be bumped up more than right rear making your sway bar to twist. You will feel that the car ride is rougher in this case.
Old 07-26-11, 06:13 PM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

get H&R spring instead of f sport just in case you want to change springs... of course many people here will recommend br coilovers.
Old 07-26-11, 10:36 PM
kim0217
Lead Lap

don't waste ur money on springs..get coils instead
Old 07-26-11, 11:43 PM
jv250
Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Incorrect. Sway bars have zero effect on stiffness. All they do is reduce body roll. It was also the first mod I did to my car and it noticeably improves the handling with zero drawbacks.

As far as minor mods go, I like the roof spoilers. Do a search, they're are plenty of topics on it. I went with one from oem.things on Ebay as many others did. Fairly cheap and gives the car a nice look.

Oh boy. You may not notice it, but it does. That's the whole point of a "sway bar" and "reducing body roll." The thicker bar reduces your leaning hence your ability to "absorb" bumps and knocks is reduced.

The drawbacks, as I labeled, was little. The bumps are, more apparent than noticeable, but nothing to complain or regard.
Old 07-27-11, 12:35 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you just want a small drop, then the F-Sport springs will do... not necessary to buy coilovers.
Old 07-27-11, 12:51 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another option would be to get the X-Package/F-Sport package spring and absorber. This way, this way you'll have a linear spring and minimal drop at the front (0.4") and would a car would be like as you purchased a car with X-Package/F-Sport since the sport spring/shock set comes with it.

To to clarify - the sport in this case is not the "F-Sport" accessories parts.
Old 07-27-11, 04:09 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

F-sport grill insert
Old 07-27-11, 05:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jv250
Oh boy. You may not notice it, but it does. That's the whole point of a "sway bar" and "reducing body roll." The thicker bar reduces your leaning hence your ability to "absorb" bumps and knocks is reduced.

The drawbacks, as I labeled, was little. The bumps are, more apparent than noticeable, but nothing to complain or regard.
Clarification here-

What the sway bars do is make your independent suspension less independent... this will not make a difference over bumps if they're even...going over a speedbump evenly for example should feel exactly the same as before... but it will make a (very small) difference over uneven bumps and such... (like if one side hits a rut/hole and the other does not)

Not enough of one to really matter though unless your roads are really horrible, especially given how much it improves the car around corners.
Old 07-27-11, 10:01 AM
jv250
Rookie

that's what i meant. i did say "a little" in my first post.
Old 07-27-11, 02:17 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
Another option would be to get the X-Package/F-Sport package spring and absorber. This way, this way you'll have a linear spring and minimal drop at the front (0.4") and would a car would be like as you purchased a car with X-Package/F-Sport since the sport spring/shock set comes with it.

To to clarify - the sport in this case is not the "F-Sport" accessories parts.
I may be a little dense here 'cause I'm new, or I'm just not looking in the right place. I'm on Sewell's website (http://is.sewellparts.com/parts-catalog/IS250-2011.html) and I only see the F-Sport lowering springs and shocks. Is the "sport spring/shock" set different than the F-Sport set? If so, where would I get these?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-11, 02:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
I may be a little dense here 'cause I'm new, or I'm just not looking in the right place. I'm on Sewell's website (http://is.sewellparts.com/parts-catalog/IS250-2011.html) and I only see the F-Sport lowering springs and shocks. Is the "sport spring/shock" set different than the F-Sport set? If so, where would I get these?

Thanks!
The sport suspension is what comes on 06-10 cars with the sport package.

Even more confusingly it's what comes on "F-sport" option 2011 cars... those cars come with the sport package shocks/springs, NOT the F-sport ones.

They are NOT the F-sport parts.

You'd get em from sewell as well... look under the normal suspension parts and pick the ones for the sport package.

For example:

48131 4813153171
SPRING, FRONT COIL, RH SPORT PACKAGE&TIRE & DISC WHEEL-225/40R18+255/40R18,SUMMER TIRE,ALUMI

for the right hand front spring

Or

ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT RH MARK 48510-53110,SPORT PACKAGE&TIRE & DISC WHEEL-225/40R18+255/40R18,SUMMER TIRE,ALUMI

for the right hand front shock
Old 07-27-11, 03:10 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the sways first - they're the best bang-for-your-buck mod out there, and they greatly improve the driving experience.

Quick Reply: 2011 IS250 Mod Recommendations