Originally Posted by DenIS250
^lol...so what does WOT means?
WOT= Wide Open Throttle
Old 08-31-11, 03:52 PM
JennyC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Build up

This is a real issue. This happened to me twice and now I have called Lexus Headquarters customer service line to report this. 1800-255-3987
They keep making these vehicles and selling them to innocent people.
This carbon build up is a flaw in the direct injection.
What a shame...such a wonderful car.
I will try my best to have this multi billion dollar corporation stand by their name and do something about these IS250. I will keep you all posted.
Oh...and there was a Bulletin that came out recently to the mechanics on how to service IS250's with this issue. It requires changing valves and pistons. If under warranty still get it done.
Old 08-31-11, 07:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JennyC
This is a real issue. This happened to me twice and now I have called Lexus Headquarters customer service line to report this. 1800-255-3987
They keep making these vehicles and selling them to innocent people.
This carbon build up is a flaw in the direct injection.
What a shame...such a wonderful car.
I will try my best to have this multi billion dollar corporation stand by their name and do something about these IS250. I will keep you all posted.
Oh...and there was a Bulletin that came out recently to the mechanics on how to service IS250's with this issue. It requires changing valves and pistons. If under warranty still get it done.
Do you know what the the ID of this TSB is?
Old 08-31-11, 08:44 PM
sensaznis
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same problem for the last 12 months off and on. Of course like yours if you turn the car off and turn it back on it's fine. So when I brought it to the dealer the code did not store so they were not able to do anything. It happened again and lucky for me I was near the dealer and drove it straight there without having to turn the car off. They ended up replacing the "stop light switch". It was about $200 for parts and labor but I have an extended warranty so it cost me nothing. I don't know what this part does but from the other Lexus forums it seems to be a common problem with all Lexus models. Hopefully this helps because it drove me crazy every time it happened. Its been 2 weeks since they replaced the switch so I will keep all updated if the problem reoccurs.
Old 09-01-11, 12:58 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Exclamation

This happen to me too...however, I attempted to recreate the problem by WOT then come to a stop. It work once in awhile, but when I'm at a stop, and *FLASH* my high beam, it also made the RPM drop.

Can someone try this? and inform us if this also occur to you? Flashing high beam while at a stop make the RPM drop a little, but not a bad engine shaking.
Old 09-13-11, 08:21 PM
delta9mda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andyboy
I was driving my wife's car lastnight and was stopped at a light then noticed that the car was stuttering like it was about to shut off. The light turned green so I pressed the gas and then the VCS, engine and the red (!) light came on. So I pulled over to turn the car off and back on and the issue went away. When I came home I checked the intake and it was fine. Not sure what else to look for but this happens every so often. And of course the car is out of warranty. Any ideas?
I know if I take it to the dealer they will say "can't reproduce the problem" or give me some BS that will cost $$$$ to fix.
mine did the same leaving the gym and i pulled over, turned it off and then on and all seemed good.

took it to lex to check it and the computer gave some code and there seems to be a service bulletin from lex. they have my car now and the pistons are getting replaced n/c to me.

ill post more details tomorrow. 2is 2008 btw
Old 09-14-11, 11:29 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by delta9mda
mine did the same leaving the gym and i pulled over, turned it off and then on and all seemed good.

took it to lex to check it and the computer gave some code and there seems to be a service bulletin from lex. they have my car now and the pistons are getting replaced n/c to me.

ill post more details tomorrow. 2is 2008 btw
Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted with all the details.
Old 09-14-11, 11:45 AM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the WOT thing. If your gonna baby the car for long periods of time the carbon can build up fast. Every once in a while drive that thing hard and WOT as much as possible to get all that crap outta there
Old 09-14-11, 12:07 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by snaggle
I agree on the WOT thing. If your gonna baby the car for long periods of time the carbon can build up fast. Every once in a while drive that thing hard and WOT as much as possible to get all that crap outta there
Except this car doesn't have port Injection to clean the whole top end on WOT, take if from me it doesn't help as much as you would think. The car still struggles at the end of it all.
Old 09-14-11, 10:07 PM
delta9mda
Driver School Candidate

lex replaced my pistons, rings, and oil pan. also got an oil change and coolant change in the deal.

my rep doesnt know why the pistons had to be done they just had to.

ill get more info from her and post it as i get. i will drive easy for 1000 miles and then i can let loose
Old 09-15-11, 06:54 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Good to hear delta9mda, I spoke to a Lexus tech yesterday who told me the exact things replaced, I'm hoping to get a summary of the instructions & bulletin number. If it isn't much to ask what in specific does your service summary say and any codes in specific? Thanks!