IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help me Bust this shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 09:34 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Bust this shop

Long story short, I took my car in for speciality alignment and oil change yesterday. It took them about an hour to finish the job. The speciality alignment is specifically for lowered cars, and the first rep I spoke with told me it would take at least 90 mins itself.

so when I was paying for the service, I asked them for the report of my alignment, they told me their printer is broken, i was like ok...

and when I got in the car, the oil maint required alarm is still off, so I thought maybe they did change the oil, but just forgot to reset the sensor

lastly, they tried to charge me labor for a service i wanted to do, but later on I decided to cancle..

with all these things happening at once, I can't help but jump to the suspection that since my car was the last car they were working on, they pretty much just took my car in, left it there for an hour without performing any work on it, and took my money.

So i really want to find out if this is the truth, for my money and my car's sake. Therefore, are there any easy ways for testing if they have changed my oil? I know they are supposed to replace the oil filter while doing the oil change, maybe I should check that?

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-03-11, 09:39 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easiest thing to do is check the filter. but you'll have to know what the filter looked and brand before you brought it in. Next thing is to call the police and tell them you think the owner is selling weed out of his shop
Old 08-03-11, 09:41 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the oil dip stick to see if the oil is new or old, and check under the engine where the oil filter goes to see any sign off the replacement?
Old 08-03-11, 09:42 AM
somatic
Rookie

^<<<<<< lmao
Old 08-03-11, 09:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
easiest thing to do is check the filter. but you'll have to know what the filter looked and brand before you brought it in. Next thing is to call the police and tell them you think the owner is selling weed out of his shop
Our car has a canister oil filter, only the paper element inside a permanant housing is replaced.
Old 08-03-11, 09:49 AM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checking the filter isnt practical, you'd need a new one or at least an o ring. If you're going to double check oil changes you should do it yourself. Just check the dipstick and see if its clean, when you go to an independent shop they don't usually reset the reminder, or even notice its on-really easy to reset yourself. Unless you JUST finished lowering your car and have a bunch of adjustable links added there's no way the alignment will take 90 minutes. If you haven't changes any links then only front and rear toe is adjustable and it should take an inexperienced tech about 35 minutes max. They probably say 90 minutes in case they're busy and can't get to it right away. Maybe they did the service before you changed your mind - who knows on that one.
Old 08-03-11, 09:49 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Our car has a canister oil filter, only the paper element inside a permanant housing is replaced.
oh ok, well then call the police
Old 08-03-11, 12:23 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check dipstick. black coloured oil=old. honey coloured oil=new.
Old 08-03-11, 12:32 PM
MrPringles
Driver School Candidate

fail thread
Old 08-03-11, 12:57 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Check the oil dip stick to see if the oil is new or old, and check under the engine where the oil filter goes to see any sign off the replacement?
yes, that is actually what i am thinking.

Originally Posted by Defender46
Checking the filter isnt practical, you'd need a new one or at least an o ring. If you're going to double check oil changes you should do it yourself. Just check the dipstick and see if its clean, when you go to an independent shop they don't usually reset the reminder, or even notice its on-really easy to reset yourself. Unless you JUST finished lowering your car and have a bunch of adjustable links added there's no way the alignment will take 90 minutes. If you haven't changes any links then only front and rear toe is adjustable and it should take an inexperienced tech about 35 minutes max. They probably say 90 minutes in case they're busy and can't get to it right away. Maybe they did the service before you changed your mind - who knows on that one.
well i actually took it to NTB, it is supposed to be a national known franchise. My car was in a wreck and it took lexus dealership 2 months to fix it. The lexus couldn't do alignment because my car sits too low. There are only two shops that can do here in dallas from what i have heard, one is at the Lambo dealership, which costs 350 to do alignment, the other one is NTB (only at this specific location too). I would imagine there will be quite a bit of adjustments need to be done.

As to the other service, I asked them to raise the car up about 3 rounds because I was too lazy to do it myself in this 110 weather, but i realized i didn't bring the wheel lock, so there is no way they could have done it.
Old 08-03-11, 01:23 PM
AKhanis350
Driver

2IS350DT - where in tx r u located?
Old 08-03-11, 02:14 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Second the dipstick... if the oil is black, then the shop didn't do squat.

Usually new oil is supposed to be very light, there are some that are darker than others. But there's no way it'll be black unless it's used for a while.
Old 08-03-11, 02:24 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

Originally Posted by AKhanis350
2IS350DT - where in tx r u located?
I am from Dallas.

You?
Old 08-03-11, 02:27 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

Thanks for all the tips guys (Excluding MyPringles). JKKKK

Greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-11, 07:11 PM
Husni08
Pole Position

What shop was this? Just so I make sure I don't ever go there, being from the D too

Quick Reply: Help me Bust this shop