IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new/used is350

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 09:40 AM
Jus10s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new/used is350

Hey guys first post here so don't eat me up to much, but I have a few questions. Looking at buying a is350 and found one and was wondering what are some questions to ask the seller about the car. Here is the link so you all can see the car.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Seller say it was in a wreck and needs new tires.
thanks in advance on the responses
Old 08-09-11, 09:55 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only options it has are headlamp washers and sports package I believe, so its not fully loaded. Price is decent is wasn't wrecked. Believe you can go 1 or 2 grand cheaper.

Ask for a carfax and what recalls where done on it from Lexus. There are 3 or 4 out. Gl.
Old 08-09-11, 10:05 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Oh, also it has no ML dvd playing navigation. And I believe those wheels are F sport wheels, about a $1500 add on.
Old 08-09-11, 10:08 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Only thing missing is ML and rear shade which is not a biggie. For and 08 with low mile it with in the price range. But since it been hit. You can knock some off the price.
Old 08-09-11, 10:24 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Originally Posted by laobo979
Only thing missing is ML and rear shade which is not a biggie. For and 08 with low mile it with in the price range. But since it been hit. You can knock some off the price.
Rear shade is part of the luxury package. So it also doesn't have wood trim and illuminated door scuffs. Also separate option, parking sensors.
Old 08-09-11, 10:33 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, start here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Read the whole thing, but focus on the "Common 2IS Issues" section and check whether this particular car is suffering from them or has had them addressed.

I just read the listing. Honestly, this looks like one of the best deals I've seen on CL in a while. The first thing that jumps out at me is that this guy really knows the 2IS and knows his car. He knows the options (both what his car has and what's available), he knows his stuff with the warranties (when they expire, whether the accident affected it), etc. That inspires some confidence.

One thing I'd check is that he says factory warranty is in place until March 2013, but I don't know how that'd be possible for a 2008 model - since it's a 4 year warranty, I'd think it would be up sometime in 2012.

As you no doubt discovered during your search, most 2008 IS350s with 30k miles are going for far more than this. Even 2007s that are out of factory warranty and have higher mileage are going for more. This car's well-optioned, has nav, and even has expensive upgraded wheels.

I think this is a good deal at the asking price - any more would just be bonus. My advice would be this:

1) Check the above thread for Common Issues and check this car for them

2) Follow the thread's instructions to obtain the Lexus service history

3) Request a Carfax/Autocheck report from the seller, check for open recalls or anything odd. Also check for evidence of the accident and make sure it matches up

4) Ask him for documentation of the accident and repairs to verify that it matches his description and wasn't more serious

5) Pick out the 4 tires you'd buy and then deduct that from the asking price and offer that, explaining your reasoning. If the 4 tires total $1000, offer $23,500. If he balks, then offer to split the cost of the tires with him, making it $24k.

I think even if you bought at the current price you'd be getting a good deal. I highly advise doing the above due diligence though because the price on this makes me a bit suspicious. Like he said, KBB/NADA value is far higher than he's offering, and he claims it's in very good condition and is well-optioned. If the accident was truly only cosmetic and there's evidence of that, then I don't know why he'd be selling for $9,000 less especially when the used car market is so hot.
Old 08-09-11, 11:05 AM
lextasy08
Rookie

sounds like a good deal
Old 08-09-11, 01:40 PM
sqa4life
Rookie

This is a very good deal.
I checked the car report for you via autocheck as I still have a few days of membership left :-) PM me if you want a copy of the car report for this car.

It's a one owner and the accident did not report. So, everything is clean on paper.
Old 08-09-11, 02:50 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by sqa4life
It's a one owner and the accident did not report. So, everything is clean on paper.
This only makes it a better deal. If no accident shows up on Autocheck or Carfax, you have no resale concerns.
Old 08-09-11, 03:28 PM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look like a good deal, however, interior color is a little of
Old 08-09-11, 03:39 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Bro bro bro, let my tell you about that car. That thing has been for sale since Feb '11...I know cuz I looked at it (online only). At the time he had it posted up on Ebay as well, and you know what the CarFax said about it? Not only was it wrecked, it said it was totalled! Though I loved the look of the Fsports on it, that one fact alone turned me 180 degrees in an instance. True, CarFax could have got the info wrong...but why take the chance?

You should ask him over the phone if you were to pull the CarFax on it would it say totaled or not?

My $.02, but I'd stay away! But good choice looking for a 350, I love mine without a doubt!
Old 08-09-11, 03:40 PM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

I wanted this until I pulled carfax, it's been wrecked with frame damage. Over 13k in damage.

Pull the carfax the accident is noted

But I do like how he wrote about the accident.

Damage to drivers side rear door.

Drivers rear door my A$$ that sob got creamed

Last edited by pat1; 08-09-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 04:27 PM
calvin2376
Racer

What a douchebag. Thanks Gville and pat for sounding the alarm - this is exactly what I was wary of.

Just for kicks OP, you should email him and ask for the Carfax. I bet he tries to weasel out of providing it.
Old 08-09-11, 04:34 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like they say... "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"
Old 08-09-11, 05:01 PM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

Here is the carfax

2008 LEXUS IS350
VIN: JTHBE262885020704
SEDAN 4 DR
Structural / Frame damage reported
Airbag deployed
Accident / Damage reported
2 Previous owners
32,403 Last reported odometer reading
$1,270 Below retail book value
This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX History Impact™
Vehicle history affects value
This 2008 Lexus IS350 is worth less than average based on information in this report. - $1,270
Below Retail
Book Value
Is this car right for you? Adjust retail book value and compare to asking price.
CARFAX Title History
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire
Flood | Hail | Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. View Terms
CARFAX Additional History
Not all accidents / issues are reported to CARFAX
Total Loss
No total loss reported to CARFAX.
Structural / Frame Damage
Structural / Frame damage reported on 06/03/2010.
Airbag Deployment
Airbag deployment reported on 06/03/2010.
Odometer Rollback
No indication of an odometer rollback.
Accident / Damage
Accident reported on 06/03/2010. Damage reported on 06/03/2010.
Manufacturer Recall
Check with an authorized Lexus dealer for any open recalls. Ask Your
Dealer
CARFAX Detailed History
Owner 1
Purchased: 2009 Personal vehicle
19,277 mi./yr
Mileage: Source: Comments:
6/19/08
Dealer Inventory
Saint Louis, MO Vehicle offered for sale
6/20/08
5,122 mi.
Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
7/10/09
Dealer Inventory Vehicle sold
8/25/09
5,169 mi.
Plaza Motor Company
Creve Coeur, MO
314-301-1700
Vehicle sold
10/5/09
South Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Columbia, SC
Title #770020210640577 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
12/11/09
10,477 mi.
Lexus of Columbia
Columbia, SC
803-754-9500
Recommended maintenance performed
2/12/10
South Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Columbia, SC Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location
4/23/10
16,224 mi.
Lexus of Columbia
Columbia, SC
803-754-9500
Tire repaired
Tire condition and pressure checked
6/2/10
18,081 mi.
Lexus of Columbia
Columbia, SC
803-754-9500
Exhaust system checked
6/3/10
South Carolina
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving right front impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Disabling damage reported
Vehicle towed
Airbags deployed
CARFAX Airbag Tips
6/3/10
18,094 mi.
South Carolina
Damage Report Damage reported after
accident or other incident
Structural / frame inspection performed
after an accident or other incident
Structural / frame damage reported
Damage to left side
Repair valued at $13,148.74
Watch out! Structural / frame damage may impact vehicle safety and reliability, so have the frame inspected to make sure it's within the manufactured specifications. Learn More
7/1/10
Jim Hudson Pontiac GMC
Columbia, SC
803-783-0110
Four wheel alignment performed
Steering/suspension checked
9/16/10
20,964 mi.
Lexus of Columbia
Columbia, SC
803-754-9500
Brakes checked
2/18/11
26,830 mi.
Lexus of Columbia
Columbia, SC
803-754-9500
Anti-theft/keyless remote battery replaced
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Differential checked
Owner 2
Purchased: 2011 Personal vehicle
Mileage: Source: Comments:
5/3/11
South Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Columbia, SC Vehicle purchase reported
5/9/11
28,892 mi.
South Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Columbia, SC
Title #770020233183043 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
7/9/11
32,403 mi.
Lexus of Columbia
Columbia, SC
803-754-9500
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Brakes checked
Door window checked
Steering/suspension checked
Glossary
Accident / Damage Indicator
CARFAX receives information about accidents in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada. Different information in a vehicle's history can indicate an accident or damage, such as: salvage auction, fire damage, police-reported accident, crash test vehicle, damage disclosure, collision repair facility and automotive recycler records. Not every accident or damage event is reported and not all reported are provided to CARFAX. Details about the accident or damage event when reported to CARFAX (e.g. severity, impact location, airbag deployment) are included on the Vehicle History Report. CARFAX recommends you obtain a vehicle inspection from your dealer or an independent mechanic.
According to the National Safety Council, Injury Facts, 2007 edition, 7% of the 245 million registered vehicles in the U.S. were involved in an accident in 2005. Over 75% of these were considered minor or moderate.
CARFAX depends on many sources for its accident / damage data. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 8/9/11 at 7:59:42 PM (EDT). New data will result in a change to this report.
South Carolina Police Reports:
Provide an estimate of the extent of damage in its accident reports for the following:
SEVERE/TOTALED: The vehicle cannot be driven from the accident scene due to severe damage or an injury. This level of damage often results in a Salvage or Junk title.
DISABLING: The vehicle had to be towed or hauled away from the accident location.
FUNCTIONAL: The vehicle could be driven from the accident location.
MINOR: The accident damage does not affect the operation of the vehicle. Examples include dented bumpers, fenders, grills and body panels. This level of accident should not compromise vehicle safety.
NO DAMAGE: The vehicle was not damaged.
Airbag Deployment
Occurs when the driver, passenger or side airbag has been used or deployed during a crash or other incident. If an airbag has been deployed, it must be replaced by a qualified technician. Have this car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase. Use CARFAX Airbag Tips to make sure this vehicle's airbag system is functional.
CARFAX History Impact™
Accidents, service records, number of owners and many other history factors can affect a vehicle's value. The CARFAX History Impact is a tool that analyzes millions of used car transactions to measure how the combination of all the information reported to CARFAX affects the value of a particular vehicle. The vehicle's retail book value plus the CARFAX History Impact will give you a more accurate measure of the vehicle's value. Use this tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Quick Reply: new/used is350