IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ok so who hasnt gotten the fuel sensor recall done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 09:56 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok so who hasnt gotten the fuel sensor recall done?

Still havent gone to get the work done. I just dont like people touching my car. Im not 100% sure if im going to get the work done. Anyone else out there that hasnt gotten this done yet?
Old 08-09-11, 10:00 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's done by Lexus and its free plus you get a free tank of gas. They are trained to work on your car. Why not? Had mine done.
Old 08-09-11, 10:39 AM
Miggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me

I believe mine does not need it. they just want me to bring the car in to the dealership so they can rob me FTHAT
Old 08-09-11, 10:42 AM
Miggs
Driver

I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary... I dont plan on going to the dealer anytime soon, too far away.. waste of time.. I drive past the dealership everyday on my way to work but I purposely forget to stop by haha
Old 08-09-11, 10:46 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
Still havent gone to get the work done. I just dont like people touching my car. Im not 100% sure if im going to get the work done. Anyone else out there that hasnt gotten this done yet?
This is really, really silly. It's obtuse sentiments like this that lead to breakdowns, accidents, and possible injuries/fatalities down the road. Every car will at some point in its life require work done that goes beyond regular DIY maintenance. Who exactly do you trust to do this work, if not the people who work for the dealers licensed by the company that actually designed and manufactured the car, who have access to far more information and knowledge about the car through TIS and other means than an owner ever will, who are trained then qualified to perform this work, and who warranty their work for usually a minimum of a year? Even in the rare situation that the dealer were to perform the recall incorrectly and cause some kind of problem, they would remedy the situation immediately.

My car suffered a failure of the gasket in question by this recall about 1 week before the recall was issued. I started smelling gasoline both inside and outside the car. Turns out it was leaking into the engine bay. This could have caused a fire or explosion. I took it into the dealer, they gave me a loaner, one day later it was fixed and I was on my way, with no problems since.

Go get the work done. You're more likely to suffer from a failed gasket and have a potentially dangerous situation result than you are to have a dealer somehow ruin your car and not fix it/make you whole.

At the very least, do it for resale. I personally would skip over a car that had open, unperformed recalls from several years ago. It's the clearest indicator that the owner doesn't care about the car, doesn't treat it well, and doesn't keep up with maintenance and repairs. If an owner doesn't go in for a free recall, clearly he isn't going to go in for less serious things (failed navigation, dash rattle, aux-in noise) to get them taken care of.

Originally Posted by Miggs
I believe mine does not need it. they just want me to bring the car in to the dealership so they can rob me FTHAT
Rob you? I'm not sure you understand the concept. You bring your car in, they give you a loaner car, and 0-1 day later you pick up your car - which has been filled with a tank of premium gas, no charge - and you're on your way. No dollars are exchanged.

You believe yours does not need it? Pardon me if I trust the people who designed, manufactured, and tested the car over you.

You may be right that your car is not currently suffering from a failure of the part in question. And you may be right that your car never suffers from it for the entirety of the time you own it. But why risk it? It's a free recall, you get a loaner car, and they give you a free tank of gas. Furthermore, keep in mind that if you wait and some while down the road this issue does occur and causes damage to your car and you're out of warranty, you'd better believe it's going to be out of your pocket to repair it.

Last edited by calvin2376; 08-09-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 10:53 AM
raywest
Driver

That was the best response ever Calvin. 100% agree with you.
Old 08-09-11, 11:01 AM
sqa4life
Rookie

just dropped off my car this morning at the dealer for all 4 recalls to be fixed :-)
Old 08-09-11, 11:01 AM
lextasy08
Rookie

so how do you know if your car has recalls ive been to previous sites that show the recalls and years but every model?? or what
Old 08-09-11, 11:10 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lextasy08
so how do you know if your car has recalls ive been to previous sites that show the recalls and years but every model?? or what
You van register your car at Lexus website. I don't know the exact address. Or you can stop by your lexus dealer and they can tell you.

I got 2 recalls done and they gave me a RX350 loaned with unlimited mileage for 3 days.
Old 08-09-11, 11:19 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lextasy08
You can go to the Owner's section of Lexus.com and obtain your Lexus dealer service history. At the top of the service history should be a list of any open recalls. Within the service history you'll be able to see when and where any recalls were performed.
Old 08-09-11, 11:24 AM
NSGxLEX
Intermediate

Got mine done. Got a free tank of gas and a free loaner! Cant beat that!
Old 08-09-11, 01:13 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Me sad...no free gas when I got mine done. But...they did vacuum out the ENTIRE car, including trunk. Meh, not worth the $60 in fuel...but, at least I got something out of my inconvience.
Old 08-09-11, 04:00 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sqa4life
just dropped off my car this morning at the dealer for all 4 recalls to be fixed :-)
What 4?
Old 08-09-11, 04:19 PM
sqa4life
Rookie

Originally Posted by CCJ22
What 4?
guess you didn't notice I said 4 "recalls" :-)

Safety Recall BLA Certain 2006 - 2007 GS, 2006 - early 2009 IS 250 and 2006 - early 2008 IS 350 vehicles Insufficient Tightening of the Fuel Pressure Sensor

Safety Recall ALG - Certain 2006 Model Year Lexus IS and GS Vehicles & Certain 2004 through 2006 Model Year RX Vehicles Brake Master Cylinder Cup Replacement

Safety Recall ALE - Certain Lexus GS 350, GS 450h, GS 460, IS 350, LS 460, LS 460 L, and LS 600h L Vehicles - Valve Spring

Safety Recall 9LG - Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal
Old 08-09-11, 04:43 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should really get it done to avoid any problems in the future. I got mine done, didn't noticed any difference as mine just needed to be tightened. I got a free $64 tank of gas and only took 3 hours. I didn't get a loaner car since it was only a few hours plus I'm not old enough to be given a loaner.

There's the chance yours is probably good but not worth it just because you don't want people touching your car. You're going to need to bring in your car for repairs some time in the future anyways.

Last edited by chi123; 08-09-11 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok so who hasnt gotten the fuel sensor recall done?