IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Fogs Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 10:25 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I don't think they're bi-xenon. I haven't taken a close look at the OEM HID's yet, but Bi-xenon HID projectors have a solenoid built into the projector, so that when you activate high beams, the solenoid moves the cutoff shield, allowing light to shine upwards, hence being the high beam mode. Look at the following image,when you remove the shield, you now have rays of light that were originally blocked by the shield going upwards.

Bi-xenon projectors achieve both low beam and high beam with only 1 bulb each side, thus eliminating the need for a separate bulb for high beams (like what our headlights have, a set of 9005 for high beam).
Old 08-11-11, 10:40 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ I understand how they work. Like I said, the OEM HID's are bi-xenon. This is a fact. There is still a separate 9005 high beam, that doubles as a DRL in 2006-2010 MY 2IS's, for additional light.

Last edited by brociouz; 08-11-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 10:53 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Hm... I looked into it again, and I guess I'm mistaken. The HIDs are bi-xenon. The output looks pretty weak though, which is probably why there's a separate halogen bulb for high beams.
Old 08-12-11, 12:29 AM
ben9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSenator
Wow! that looks alot smaller. When did you order your kit? I haven't opened my box yet so we will see which ones I got. Did you have to ask for the smaller decoders? Looks awesome man!

Did you change your parking lights at the same time?

Thanks bro! I was actually in their store 3 days last week. I originally had the bigger decoders and had already retrofitted my moisture cap when I got a call from them telling me that the newest decoders just came in and that they wanted to try the fitting on mine. Without hesitation, I drove back for the 3rd time from Beverly Hills to their shop to install it on-site & check its functionality. I couldn't be more pleased with the fitment. It tucks inside the housing perfectly. I'll be going back there soon so they can take pics of everything. Just mention the new DRL decoders that were installed on the Ben's Black IS250 last week. (This is the best way I think you can remind them lol).

As for the parking lights, yes I changed them to match my 6K Garax. I'll post some pics as soon as I find my cam's USB.

Originally Posted by brociouz
Those new decoders look awesome! I've heard rumors of some soon to be released LED DRL's that have the decoder built into the base of the bulb too, so it's like the decoder/module isn't even there. Not sure on an ETA.

DRL mode and high beam mode have the exact same output right? AFAIK, the point of the module/decoder is to achieve just that (constant power).

Exactly. LED DRL's are a tradeoff. Sacrifice your high beams to get nice colored DRLs. One thing to keep in mind though is that if you have OEM HIDs, they are bi-xenon, so you still have some high-beam functionality.
brociouz is right. It is a tradeoff, but there's still some high-beam left to it. The light aim definitely changes and is still noticeable but the output just isn't as bright as our old yellow ones. My Bentley Mulsanne's high-beam is still the old yellow ones despite the fact that it's all LED'd out except for its HID low beams. I like the DRL on my IS much better.

As far as I noticed, DRL mode & high beam mode are the same. I'll check again tomorrow when I get to my car as I left it at my office. pm'd you bro!

Last edited by ben9; 08-12-11 at 12:32 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-12-11, 09:14 AM
baypistol
Driver

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about this as well. The color looks nice but if it is going to put out less light then stocks then it is not worth the trouble. I might have to go with HID conversion in the fog lights.
Old 08-12-11, 09:26 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ben9
Thanks bro! I was actually in their store 3 days last week. I originally had the bigger decoders and had already retrofitted my moisture cap when I got a call from them telling me that the newest decoders just came in and that they wanted to try the fitting on mine. Without hesitation, I drove back for the 3rd time from Beverly Hills to their shop to install it on-site & check its functionality. I couldn't be more pleased with the fitment. It tucks inside the housing perfectly. I'll be going back there soon so they can take pics of everything. Just mention the new DRL decoders that were installed on the Ben's Black IS250 last week. (This is the best way I think you can remind them lol).

As for the parking lights, yes I changed them to match my 6K Garax. I'll post some pics as soon as I find my cam's USB.
I'll def look into it. In the mean time, how did you retrofit the moisture caps?
Old 08-12-11, 09:38 AM
ben9
Rookie

Just got off the phone with ijdmtoy and they said the decoders should be in stock by mid next week. No pricing so far though.
Old 08-12-11, 10:12 AM
ben9
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheSenator
I'll def look into it. In the mean time, how did you retrofit the moisture caps?
I just tapped a flathead screwdriver with a hammer a few times to chop a tiny piece off, enough to fit the decoder wires. I, then, glued a piece of foam onto the chopped off part of the cap as an extra precaution. The key is patience and very gentle taps so that you don't chop off more than you need to. I'll post some pics as soon as I find my cam's USB.
Old 08-12-11, 10:19 AM
ben9
Rookie

Originally Posted by baypistol
Thanks for the info, I was wondering about this as well. The color looks nice but if it is going to put out less light then stocks then it is not worth the trouble. I might have to go with HID conversion in the fog lights.
I think HIDs for the fogs are the way to go as well. I'll be doing mine when I have the time again. Please post pics when you do your conversion... Thanks!

Last edited by ben9; 08-12-11 at 10:37 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-12-11, 10:29 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

^^^I am still looking for a decent kit for my fogs...
Old 08-12-11, 10:43 AM
ben9
Rookie

Originally Posted by GilIS250
^^^I am still looking for a decent kit for my fogs...
So am I... Are you planning to match it with you low beams?

courtesy of "brociouz" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...fogs-pics.html