IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Royal Purple for IS350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11 | 10:54 AM
mkhaira
Rookie

Question Royal Purple for IS350 ?

Hello Lexus Owners. i got my Lexus 2 weeks ago and it is GREAT!. love the speed...the looks...the comfort. i want to take good care of this car and make sure i get all the horses from the engine when i need them. I use to own a toyota supra before and used Royal Purple Synthetic Engine Oil. i was wondering if using Royal Purple in my Lexus would ok...good...or great? or should i just go to a stealer i mean dealership and ask them to do a regular oil change?

I know if i use Royal Purple once i should continues using the same Synthetic oil.

What do you guys say?
Old 08-11-11 | 11:01 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

There are huge debate threads on oil. You can do a search and find them

However, the general consensus is that if you have the time to change the oil yourself, your better off doing it than going to the dealership. That way you know exactly what is going in your car and you'll save a lot of money. Dealership charges $90-$100 for synthetic.

RP is fine, I have been using it in my car ever since I got it.
Old 08-11-11 | 11:02 AM
Laid_Out
Driver

I like Mobil 1, can't go wrong with that I guess
Old 08-11-11 | 11:07 AM
mong
Lead Lap

+1 on Mobil 1. RP is a bit too much for me. For almost $10 a quart, I'm cool with Mobil 1(5 quarts for $23.99 plus tax @ walmart)
Old 08-11-11 | 11:08 AM
mkhaira
Rookie

Originally Posted by edgeucated
There are huge debate threads on oil. You can do a search and find them

However, the general consensus is that if you have the time to change the oil yourself, your better off doing it than going to the dealership. That way you know exactly what is going in your car and you'll save a lot of money. Dealership charges $90-$100 for synthetic.

RP is fine, I have been using it in my car ever since I got it.
Thanx bro. the only thing is, i would love to do it my self. been doing it on my supra for 6 years. but i just got this car and i need to get it done from a mechanic and save the receipt otherwise it could void my extended warranty. i live in Canada and the extended warranty definitely helps. so i have record the mileage and the where i got my oil change done. the warranty covers the entire car from engine to electric, unlimited mileage.
but if with royal purple the engine runs smooth like it should be, i can just buy a big 5 gallon pail and ask my mechanic to change it.
Old 08-11-11 | 11:10 AM
mkhaira
Rookie

Originally Posted by mong
+1 on Mobil 1. RP is a bit too much for me. For almost $10 a quart, I'm cool with Mobil 1(5 quarts for $23.99 plus tax @ walmart)
well your right price wise Mobile 1 is better. but in Canada Mobil 1 cost a bit more. Almost close to Royal Purple.
Old 08-11-11 | 11:11 AM
mkhaira
Rookie

has anyone tried out Royal Purple HPS? suppose to be (High Performance Street Oil with SYNERLEC. W.e that means LOL

Also was checking out ZINC ADDITIVE. "special formula of zinc, phosphorous and moly, adds wear protection to any motor oil" ??

Last edited by mkhaira; 08-11-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-11-11 | 11:18 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkhaira
well your right price wise Mobile 1 is better. but in Canada Mobil 1 cost a bit more. Almost close to Royal Purple.
I see. Any oil should be fine for our car tho. As long as you change it at the recommended interval. Is not like our engine is boosted or anything. But if you have the moola.. why not? lol
Old 08-11-11 | 11:23 AM
mkhaira
Rookie

^^^ thanx for the advice bro...
Old 08-11-11 | 11:49 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

I change my oil at home and keep track of all my receipts. I also have a copy of ms excel of all services done on the car with the mileage and dates.
Old 08-11-11 | 12:05 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by mkhaira
Thanx bro. the only thing is, i would love to do it my self. been doing it on my supra for 6 years. but i just got this car and i need to get it done from a mechanic and save the receipt otherwise it could void my extended warranty. i live in Canada and the extended warranty definitely helps. so i have record the mileage and the where i got my oil change done. the warranty covers the entire car from engine to electric, unlimited mileage.
Make sure you read your extended warranty contract very carefully. I've had a few extended warranties (both OEM and aftermarket) myself and have researched even more, and I've never seen a contract that stated you were required to get oil changes performed at a dealership or mechanic to keep the warranty intact.

They all will state unequivocally that you must adhere to the manufacturer's recommended maintenance guidelines, and your warranty contract I'm sure does the same. However, I've never seen a contract require you to have this maintenance performed at a dealership or mechanic. For example, here's the relevant excerpt from the extended warranty contract I had most recently through INDS:

"MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS: Your Vehicle is required to have the oil changed every three (3) months or three thousand
(3,000) miles, OR according to the manufacturer’s recommendations as outlined in the owner’s manual.
A transmission fluid change
and engine tune-up is required every twelve (12) months or twelve thousand (12,000) miles OR according to the manufacturer’s
recommendations as outlined in the owner’s manual. Contract holder is responsible for making sure the oil warning light/gauge and
the temperature light/gauge are functioning properly before operating the Vehicle. Your Vehicle must be pulled off the road
immediately and discontinue operation when either of these lights/gauges registers inadequate protection or performance. Failure to
perform the maintenance requirements to Your Vehicle as outlined in this section may result in denial of coverage. Your owner’s
manual has separate required maintenance schedules for “normal” and “more severe” operating conditions. You are required to follow
the maintenance schedule that applies to Your Vehicle’s conditions. You must be sure only the proper grade of lubricants and
coolants, as recommended by the manufacturer, are used in Your Vehicle. The fluid levels are to be checked every three hundred
(300) miles or when refueling. It is necessary for You to retain verifiable receipts for all parts and materials necessary to perform the
required maintenance.
If necessary, this documentation will be verified by the Administrator"

You'll notice that nowhere do they state you must have these services performed by a mechanic or dealership. The only proof they require are "verifiable receipts for all parts and materials necessary to perform the required maintenance". Notice this doesn't say labor. This means you are free to perform the maintenance yourself, you just have to retain receipts for the parts and materials (oil and filter purchases).

Obviously every warranty contract is different, so yours might expressly require work performed at a licensed mechanic. However I'd be surprised, and frankly I'm not sure how a policy like that would square with warranty-governing legislation and reform like Magnusen-Moss (I know you're in Canada, but there may be something similar).
Old 08-11-11 | 12:09 PM
mkhaira
Rookie

^^^thanx Calvin2376...im going to check that out when i get home today. if it does not state anything about dealership or mechanic, ill just do it myself. WOHOO
Old 08-13-11 | 07:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I'd add that if I had to replace my oil at factory intervals I wouldn't waste money on high-end synthetic oil as you'll be missing one of the major benefits of it- the ability to run extended oil change intervals.

If I lived someplace (and Canada qualifies at least a decent bit of the year) where things like better cold-flow character was important I might still use a synthetic, but it'd be a relatively cheap one since I'd be changing it out 2-3 times more often then necessarily.

Arguably if one were less than honest they could also simply use the GOOD stuff and change it once a year, but also buy some incredibly cheap conventional oil every other 6 months and keep those receipts in their "proof I changed my oil per the manual" envelope just in case... that'd still be cheaper than changing the synthetic out a lot too often and maybe you could re-sell the cheap stuff to a buddy with a Yaris or something. Not that I recommend anything like that of course
Old 08-15-11 | 06:35 AM
TwistaHSH
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I agree with Calvin2376, as my IS350 is a lease and I as told by my dealer, etc. that even with a lease you can do all maintenance yourself or with any dealer or quick lube place like (Dobb's, Midas, etc.) just have to keep the receipts. In addition, if you were to go to a different service station or quick lube place just have them stamp your service manual just to be on the safe side. But, receipts with dates and proper tracking should be just fine.
Old 08-15-11 | 08:09 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

im using rp 5w30 right now. its ok. i get a little hit less mph compared to using mobil1 0w20. im gonna go back to Mobil1 0w20, imo i think it runs a little smoother ftw.

Last edited by 509IS350; 08-15-11 at 11:18 AM.