IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Power Tilt/Tele Steering Wheel Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 03:53 PM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Tilt/Tele Steering Wheel Reliability?

Hi folks,

The other thread on the power tilt/telescoping wheel got me thinking about something. I bought my car a few months ago, and the previous owner had their LPS set to move the steering wheel every time the car is started or shut down. I probably average about 4-6 start/shutdown cycles on my car daily.

Has anyone had any long term issues with the power tilt/telescoping steering column and having it auto-tilt upon engine start/stop?
Old 08-11-11, 03:59 PM
Daganl
Rookie

Electronics fail all the time, but that should never stop you from using them.

You bought a Lexus, just enjoy it. I envy people who have this cool factor :sad.
Old 08-11-11, 04:37 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using this feature ever since I got my car, no problems yet
Old 08-11-11, 04:40 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

'06, as many if not more cycles/day as you, no issues whatsoever.
Old 08-11-11, 06:34 PM
diablo1714
Driver

try this, set one of the memory positions to match the "top" position of the wheel when the car is off. Then when you don't need the wheel to be telescopic/tilt, use that button and the wheel wont be going thru the cycles. This sorta lets you control this LPS dynamically. I did this in my car for those times that I'm in/out of the car super-frequently
Old 08-11-11, 07:22 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

mine is still working great and i bought it in April of 07. I bought extended warranty just in case one of the electronics crap out.
Old 08-11-11, 08:02 PM
kamileon88
Rookie

electronics dont fail on them in any lexus. will just make noise. lubricate gears and any moving parts with Toyota body grease. its about $35 for a lip balm size grease but works flawlessly and no mess. its same color as lip balm
Old 08-11-11, 10:31 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

'06 here, no problems.
Old 08-11-11, 11:15 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

set to move the steering wheel every time the car is started or shut down.
Is this not set by default? When I driven loaner cars with the power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, it always moved on start up/shut down.

Last edited by Sango; 08-12-11 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 05:06 AM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Thanks for the responses, guys! I guess I grew concerned when I read of some power mirrors failing from daily use of the reverse-tilt feature, but I guess there's no need to be concerned.

Originally Posted by kamileon88
electronics dont fail on them in any lexus. will just make noise. lubricate gears and any moving parts with Toyota body grease. its about $35 for a lip balm size grease but works flawlessly and no mess. its same color as lip balm
Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by diablo1714
try this, set one of the memory positions to match the "top" position of the wheel when the car is off. Then when you don't need the wheel to be telescopic/tilt, use that button and the wheel wont be going thru the cycles. This sorta lets you control this LPS dynamically. I did this in my car for those times that I'm in/out of the car super-frequently
Very clever.

Originally Posted by Sango
Is this not set by default? When I driven loaner cars with the power tile/telescopic steering wheel, it always moved on start up/shut down.
Maybe to clarify (or correct myself), by "set" I mean, "he didn't change it," although there are some settings on my car that differ from default, implying to me that at some point he would have had the LPS settings changed and would have had to review the steering wheel option.
Old 08-12-11, 10:30 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
'06 here, no problems.
Same here!
Old 08-12-11, 10:59 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I turned mine off because of the same concern (Lexus must do this), but the cool factor is there--it still moves automatically when the seat presets are changed for different drivers.
Old 08-13-11, 07:09 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I have an '06 that was purchased in December 2005, have many drive cycles a day, and it is still working fine. I have noticed that the past few years, when the car is parked outside all day in the hot sun, that the mechanism does make an annoying noise when it is moving the wheel into position.
Old 08-14-11, 02:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I have an '06 that was purchased in December 2005, have many drive cycles a day, and it is still working fine. I have noticed that the past few years, when the car is parked outside all day in the hot sun, that the mechanism does make an annoying noise when it is moving the wheel into position.
I have an '07. At times, the mirrors stop tilting all the way down in reverse. I tried to rectify that today, but I think I messed up the mirrors.

Now, each time the car goes to reverse, when the mirrors tilt back up, they keep going ALL THE WAY UP, until I adjust them with the switch. I can put the rocker in the middle to make it stop.

BUT--it does the same thing when I open the car because my fob is tied to the memory. I tried cancelling the memory--but the cancellation is not working. so every time I unlock the car, the mirrors point up to the sky and keep trying to adjust upward.

PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-14-11, 07:35 PM
comcongen
Rookie

no problems with an 06, everything works like it should. however my gf's 07 driver side mirror motor stops working recently.

Quick Reply: Power Tilt/Tele Steering Wheel Reliability?