IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Newbie questions - please be kind

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11 | 07:21 PM
Greenlawn
Driver School Candidate

Default Newbie questions - please be kind

I'm a motorsports enthusiast who has looked at the IS for some time now.

I've always driven Nissan Maximas - I drive about 5K a month and wanted something that was somewhat fun to drive, came in a manual, and was practical. Price has always been right on them because of their poor resale value, so I just said goodbye to my third one - it was totalled in a hail storm.

As the Maxima no longer comes in a manual I had to expand my search. Four doors, manual transmission, Japenese, fun to drive, 08 or newer, and about 25K.

I narrowed it down to the G35, IS 250, and Acura TL. All of the above are hard to find in a manual, and a good deal on a G35 popped up. I did a fly and buy and fell in love with the car. Tons of features, lots of power, and blast to drive.

It didn't take me too long to realize that I had made a major oversite - the seats in the car are TERRIBLE! They are hard as a rock, and the thigh bolsters are stupid tight. I called my friend at the upholstery shop and he believes he can put some softer foam in, but I'm not positive that we'll fix the problem.

I sure hope my buddy can resolve this but if not - this car has to go. It is absolutely a great vehicle, but doesn't work on my five hour drives.

Went and looked at the IS today - amazingly my local dealership had a six speed. Took it for a drive and unfortunately have to agree with some of the reviews - performance is not the greatest - in fact it feels a bit like a four banger. Quality is obvious and the seats are comfortable.

Very good chance that I'll buy one of these, so I've got a few questions. I read many of the stickies but need some clarification:

Can you NOT get the Sport package and the heated seats? This thread leads me to believe that is the case, but wanted to confirm:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

I have yet to see an 08 with Bluetooth - was it available that year? Also, is it only available if you get one with Nav?

204 HP ain't a lot. What kind of gains does one typically see from an intake and exhaust?

Suspension is nice, but could use some upgrades. I'm intrigued by the F Sport under chassis brace - any reviews on it?

Tried to read up as much as I could before I posted - please be kind!

Thanks,

Rich
www.greenlawnracing.com
Old 08-13-11 | 07:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greenlawn

Can you NOT get the Sport package and the heated seats? This thread leads me to believe that is the case, but wanted to confirm:
Sport package comes with heated and vented seats.

However they stopped offering the sport package at all on the 250 a few years ago.... I THINK it's only available in 06 and 07 on the 250, but it's possible they had it on 08 as a last year.... someone else might be able to offer more detail there... (it was available on the 350 through 2010 models).

Another option if you're trying for the sport suspension in the 250 is the X package... if you want that AND the upgraded seats you'd need to look for the X package and premium in the same car (which is possible)... X package was offered 07-09 I believe.... (it's also the only package to ever offer a sunroof delete, though it's very very rare)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

I have yet to see an 08 with Bluetooth - was it available that year? Also, is it only available if you get one with Nav?
06-09 BT is part of the nav option, period. Not available otherwise. And only does phone calls.

10+ cars it's standard regardless of options, and does phone calls and music.

204 HP ain't a lot. What kind of gains does one typically see from an intake and exhaust?
None really worth mentioning. If power is important get a 350. Literally nothing you do to do a 250 (short of spending hundreds of hours swapping engines) will make it as quick as a stock 350.

Yeah, no manual. It's also not 1953 anymore, autos are pretty decent...and the manual in the 250 is kinda crappy even among manuals... and it's a 50% hp upgrade for a 10% price premium.

If you must directly control gears then save up a bit and get a used IS-F. It's vastly more powerful and offers a transmission that embarrasses anything with an antique clutch pedal in it.

Suspension is nice, but could use some upgrades. I'm intrigued by the F Sport under chassis brace - any reviews on it?
Useless dead weight.

The F-sport sway bars on the other hand are a nice upgrade.
Old 08-13-11 | 08:46 PM
Greenlawn
Driver School Candidate

Very helpful - appreciate the response! Think I've got it:

I want the X package or the Sport Package.

Power just isn't great and there isn't much you can do about it. Suspension can be upgraded.

How is the bluetooth?

Also, can somebody please measure the distance between their bolsters as shown in my pic? Curious as to what the seat size is compared to the G.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie questions - please be kind-seat.jpg  
Old 08-13-11 | 09:06 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

My '07 has bluetooth and the heated/cooled seats. I know not what "package" it was. Just that you CAN find one with both and if you're looking for a used one I dont see how it matters TOO much if it's an 07 or 08 when it comes to getting what you want.

The rear seats in the IS series are comfortable as far as cushion, the back, the width/space, but unless a child or "little person" is in the front seat...the leg room will be about as bad as it gets in any 4 door car.

Power? If you're looking for power the 250 should be scratched off your list immediately. Even if you end up settling for the power of the 250, with a few mods you'll soon wish you had gotten the 350. I think that saying "it's like a 4-banger" is a little much though. No, it's like a small 6 banger haha. I've never felt that my 250 lacks the power for anything I need it to do but I know not to even attempt to race most other, especially newer, 6 cyl cars or even some small 4's like a little VW jetta. So, I just make it look as good as it possibly can and one day my next purchase will be for power.

Given their reliability and how well they withstand the years; Why would you not consider getting a 350 which is slightly more used? It seems that is the best option for you.

Intake and exhaust HP gains? You dont get either for horsepower gains (at least on a 250 and probably similarly minimal on 350). You really only, practically, get those for sound purposes.

It seems your'e quick to buy what your local dealer has in stock but yet you seem to be picky (which is good). You should broaden your search. Even if it means traveling a distance. I see you're in Oklahoma. Not knowing where....surely a drive to Dallas/Fort worth (I'm there) couldnt be more than a couple hundred miles even if you are at the furthest point away from DFW, in OK. What is even as much as a 500 mile drive to get just the vehicle for you at the right price? Heck, when I am one day (before 40 i hope haha) in the market for another car to satisfy my power wishes; I'll take plane to L.A. and drive back if i have to if it means saving more than the cost of the trip or getting exactly what I want. Don't just settle for what your local dealer has!!??

Suspension? If you want the smooth, luxurious ride of an IS (probably a big appeal to some who wouldn't expect such a smooth ride in a smaller car) then you might leave it stock or simply lower it a tad (wheel gap = ugly). A new suspension will make it feel like a different car. Maybe that's what you want. My Tanabe suspension is set almost as tight/stiff as it'll go and I love it.

Chasis brace? I'd not worry about that yet. Get teeth before you get braces it seems like you might still be in the process of trying to figure out what car you want. There'll be PLENTY of time for mods and if you so choose it'll be a never-ending process of mods. Other than engine mods (few and far between,which arent worth the money as far as HP gains on a 250 especially) there is about any other mod you'd want, somewhere.

Last edited by patrick323; 08-13-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-13-11 | 09:08 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

oh, and the bluetooth ? I dont even use it. It's good. I mean, it's clear. They can hear you, you can hear them. But there is a delay between when you say something and when it gets to them so I found that they'd start to talk after I started talking and it was awkward. Plus with my exhaust mods, well, I just use my phone on my ear....or text hahaha

Seat size (between bolsters) 14 in at very front. 12 in in middle/back. I'm a big guy and I'm extremely comfortable.
Old 08-13-11 | 09:56 PM
Greenlawn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patrick323
Power? If you're looking for power the 250 should be scratched off your list immediately. Even if you end up settling for the power of the 250, with a few mods you'll soon wish you had gotten the 350. I think that saying "it's like a 4-banger" is a little much though. No, it's like a small 6 banger haha. I've never felt that my 250 lacks the power for anything I need it to do but I know not to even attempt to race most other, especially newer, 6 cyl cars or even some small 4's like a little VW jetta. So, I just make it look as good as it possibly can and one day my next purchase will be for power.

Given their reliability and how well they withstand the years; Why would you not consider getting a 350 which is slightly more used? It seems that is the best option for you.

It seems your'e quick to buy what your local dealer has in stock but yet you seem to be picky (which is good). You should broaden your search. Even if it means traveling a distance. I see you're in Oklahoma. Not knowing where....surely a drive to Dallas/Fort worth (I'm there) couldnt be more than a couple hundred miles even if you are at the furthest point away from DFW, in OK. What is even as much as a 500 mile drive to get just the vehicle for you at the right price? Heck, when I am one day (before 40 i hope haha) in the market for another car to satisfy my power wishes; I'll take plane to L.A. and drive back if i have to if it means saving more than the cost of the trip or getting exactly what I want. Don't just settle for what your local dealer has!!??
Ironically I said it feels like a four banger because it feels like it has just a little less power than my girlfriend's Jetta 2.0 FSI. Looking at 0 - 60 its about a second slower as well. Of course it doesn't go through a quart of oil every 1000 miles and suspension components probably last more than 40K.

I've actually never bought a car from a local dealer - I simply went to one today to see what an IS was all about. I've purchased most of my cars from a friend via Manheim and I did a fly and buy in Austin when I bought the G 35. I'll always fly and buy anywhere in the country for the right car.

Wouldn't get a 350 because I'm dead set on a six speed. Sure wish it came in one.

INTERESTING about the seats. The G is 14 inches in the front, 13 in the middle, and 12 in the rear. So its about the same size - the issue clearly isn't that they are too tight. When I sat in both the IS 250 and an IS-F (no, I'm not buying it) today they felt like couches compared to the G35. Clearly the issue is how hard the seat is compared to the Lexus. I am having the seat modded on the 3rd with some softer foam - perhaps that will solve all my problems.
Old 08-15-11 | 06:19 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Greenlawn....I bought my 06 IS250 about 1 month ago and I had the same criteria as you. Mine is a 6 speed manual with the Sport package. My commute is 160 miles round trip, 95% of it is interstate with the cruise control set, so I didn't need 300 hp. My previous car was a 2007 Civic Si Sedan. It had about the same amount of horsepower, but had no torque. My 250 has plenty of power for what you need and this car is a great on the interstate.

For comparison, the lady that I share my commute with has a 2005 G35 Coupe with an automatic. She doesn't like to drive so I'm behind the wheel when we are in her car as well. The engine in the G35 is sweet. Lots of power and torque. The seats are hard and fit you tight, but I don't have any issues with back pain or anything. One big difference between these two cars is gas mileage. I get 29 mpg in my IS, and we get 23 in her G35 on the same route driving the same speeds. Suspension on the Lexus is also a good bit more plush, and my Lexus has less rattles and less road noise. By the way, my Lexus has 103,000 miles on it and her G35 has 80,000 on it.

Last edited by BamaIS; 08-15-11 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-15-11 | 06:47 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

If your not that worried on performance and just want the manual the 250 be fine. Simple header,intake, exhaust, clutch and short shifter you might be satisfied.