is250 FX-R retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 01:45 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is250 FX-R retrofit

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my FX-R retrofit with the community since I haven't seen one done yet.

My IS250 is non-equipped with factory HID's. I bought a plug and play kit from DDM, and even though I could see better at night, I'm sure that I blinded the hell out of oncoming traffic. Just a month back I did the clear lens swap with the SC430 hoping to get a more concentrated light pattern, but still wasn't happy with the results. The only way to get what I wanted was to retrofit.

I've read the TSX retrofit thread, but knew I wanted bi-xenon capabilities. The FX-R is similar in dimension, more readily available, so I figured to go that route.

Luckily my friend recently retrofitted his GS300 and planned on doing his SC300 this past weekend so we decided to make it an HID party. He found a local vendor that sold the FX-R's for a very good price ( project.ors.order@gmail.com ) as well as accessories.

For those of you not aware, most plug and play kits have AMP connectors. Those are the two plugs found running off of the ballast that plug into the bulb. D2S is a totally different connector found on many OEM HID equipped cars. If you have an aftermarket plug and play kit wanting to do a D2S retrofit, you can keep your ballast by buying an AMP to D2S connector and D2S bulbs. This is what I thought HAD to buy.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...fphn190jlvpban

Project.ORS recommended D2H bulbs which fit D2S projectors, but have amp connectors to go into the ballast I already have. This saves me money from buying adapters and gives me more room behind the projector.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=251

From the TSX thread, all the materials I needed were screws, nuts and metal strips to securely mount the projector to the oem bracket.

Screws: #8 x 1'' ( qty. 8 ) w/ corresponding nuts
Metal: 3' x 1/8'' aluminum strip, ran about 4-5 dollars

To be very brief, I removed the bumper, headlights, and baked them open via information on the forum. I removed the OEM shroud and then the OEM projector. I then test fitted the FX-R in the opening.

All I needed to do was to mount the projector leveled on the OEM bracket. With this process, I would still have factory adjust-ability with minimal work on my part. At first I thought I would use the holes already in the OEM bracket, but figured I'd drill my own. Things are easier without pre-existing conditions.

I took a piece of cardboard, wedged it between the projector and OEM bracket, and marked my holes. I took that paper template and transferred it to my metal stick. I cut the metal to size and drilled the holes.

I noticed that the projector stayed very snug against the inner side of the headlight when attached with the outer brackets I made. With everything re-installed I was sure that it would not budge.

Both sides done

Here is a REALLY big point that I have no pictures for. Our OEM projectors are side fed. The FX-R projectors require the bulbs to go straight in through the back. In the TSX retrofit thread, the OP had to cut the back of the housings to make the bulb fit. When Project.ORS sold me the D2H bulbs, I thought it was just a money saver. But with all the room saved by those bulbs, I ran the wires through the OEM side slot. NO CUTTING!!!! Now I know when the bulbs go out I have to bake the headlights apart, but at least I didn't have to cut and worry about moisture seeping into the headlights due to a poor back seal. Well worth it to me.

Here is a quick test fire after mounting the FX-R

Next thing to tackle were the shrouds. This is all personal preference, but with the bezel and lens re-installed, there would be a huge gap left from the projector ( FX-R sits a little bit lower than the OEM projector ). I wanted to use the OEM shroud to clean things up, and that required cutting. I had to whack off the bottom of the shroud as close to the chrome inner ring as possible. Here's a photo of the finished product with everything re-installed.

Overall, I'm very happy with the turnout. The visibility between non-OEM-HID vs. FX-R is night and day. All the work during a hot Texas afternoon was worth it. I hope this thread can be a contribution towards our IS community.
Old 08-15-11, 01:51 PM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. The FX-R has a better cutoff than the factory HID on a ISx50.
Old 08-15-11, 01:53 PM
lextasy08
Rookie

sweet job i like the blacked housing as well
Old 08-15-11, 01:59 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Nice nice!! I considered going D2H instead of D2S, but I wanted D2S specifically because there is a much wider range of bulbs that I can choose from, in case my bulbs burn out or some other issues. Mine has a hole cut in the rear to feed the AMP -> D2S adapter. Good to know you did it without cutting the rear! Output looks fantastic! What bulbs and color temperature did you go with? It looks very OEM.
Old 08-15-11, 01:59 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like it, very clean. how much did the projectors run you? may wanna do this on my g
Old 08-15-11, 02:07 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Nice nice!! I considered going D2H instead of D2S, but I wanted D2S specifically because there is a much wider range of bulbs that I can choose from, in case my bulbs burn out or some other issues. Mine has a hole cut in the rear to feed the AMP -> D2S adapter. Good to know you did it without cutting the rear! Output looks fantastic! What bulbs and color temperature did you go with? It looks very OEM.
I used cnlight bulbs 5000k... I took the pics during the day in the garage with both doors open
Old 08-15-11, 02:09 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

I got a good deal from project.ors.order@gmail.com shoot them an email
Old 08-15-11, 02:13 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, nice job. You must have a good friend to let you use his house like that. Also, badass pictures. Whomever took those photos must have crazy talent.....
Old 08-15-11, 02:36 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01gs3
Man, nice job. You must have a good friend to let you use his house like that. Also, badass pictures. Whomever took those photos must have crazy talent.....
Thanks again for helping me and using your garage... pictures are ok but we need to do some night shots and rolling shots..
Old 08-15-11, 04:05 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

5000k is legit. That's what I'm running. Beautiful cutoff with the blue.

@MV: Projectors aren't too expensive. I know TRS has the FX-R's for like $140~...pretty cheap compared to most OEM projectors.
Old 08-15-11, 04:55 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mv350
i like it, very clean. how much did the projectors run you? may wanna do this on my g
my friend has a pair for sale
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...rojectors.html
Old 08-16-11, 10:05 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work! Love seeing retrofit projects on the forum.
Old 08-16-11, 06:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang that's some nice work! I'm hesitant to bake my headlights to black them out nevermind doing all that stuff lol
Old 08-17-11, 07:53 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by brociouz
Nice work! Love seeing retrofit projects on the forum.
Thanks man I appreciate it..
Old 08-17-11, 07:59 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Dang that's some nice work! I'm hesitant to bake my headlights to black them out nevermind doing all that stuff lol
The first time is always scary but after you do the first one everyone after that is easy

Quick Reply: is250 FX-R retrofit