IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! HELP! HELP AUX Port Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 06:12 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! HELP! HELP AUX Port Issue.

So, i just purchased an 06 IS250 AWD and i love it. However! a big sell on the car for me was the aux port. As soon as i could i stopped by a 99c store and bought a short and rather elegant looking aux cable to plug my iphone to and ***** my ears with some music only to see that the aux cable wouldnt go in more than half way. if i applied substantial pressure i could hear the music play which lets me know that it works. The only conclusion i could come up with is that the previous owner probably had something get stuck there. Maybe her aux cable broke inside. I really need this settled and i really don't want to take it to the dealer for that. I knew how to take my 98 accords interior apart in seconds but i have no clue where to start on this lexus to possibly prop out the aux port to remove whatever is stuck. Any Help please? Feel free to email me mancebof@live.com since im not an avid user of this or any forum and find it rather complicated to navigate through it.
Old 08-17-11, 10:13 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Perhaps it's the crappy aux wire/cable connection you've got there?
Old 08-17-11, 10:29 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
+1. I spent $25 at an Apple store for a Belkin AUX with a retractable cable. You don't need to spend this much but definitely more than $0.99, lol.
Old 08-17-11, 11:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

In particular you want cable that goes AUX to DOCK... not AUX to Headphone port.

Sound quality is significantly better via the Dock connector than the headphone jack.

You can get em for like 5 bucks on ebay for just audio... or 25-50 bucks for ones that do audio and charge the device as well.
Old 08-17-11, 11:24 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

hmm well im assuming you didnt spend $1 lol. $10-20 investment should set you straight for this sort of product. I dont think the people that have commented above are considering the fact that the product you have bought is functioning. You say that you cant push it all the way in because something else is stuck inside and blocking it? Well first I would make sure you bought the right cable. If you did, then i dont see much you can really do about it besides bring it in and ask lexus to help you out. That sucks though, i love listening to my own music. Music on the radio consists of 5-10 songs that are replayed to DEATH...
Old 08-17-11, 12:06 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

You guys are missing the point, he thinks something is BROKE in the port itself.

Have you tried a magnet to see if you can get it out if its metal?
Old 08-17-11, 12:15 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have you looked into the aux to see if there's really something there?
Old 08-17-11, 12:22 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
In particular you want cable that goes AUX to DOCK... not AUX to Headphone port.

Sound quality is significantly better via the Dock connector than the headphone jack.

You can get em for like 5 bucks on ebay for just audio... or 25-50 bucks for ones that do audio and charge the device as well.
Yup. A dock connector bypasses the relatively low quality headphone jack. Not just for playing your ipod/iphone in cars, but like Kurtz said, sound quality in general. Most people who choose to use their ipod/iphone with higher end audio equipment use a line out dock. It looks like this:
Only thing is you lose your ability to charge your phone while it's playing.
Old 08-17-11, 04:25 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Default Really?

Originally Posted by Gville350

Exactly why i find these forums so annoying sometimes.To many people waiting for an excuse to call you cheap and stupid when in fact they lack the ability to read comprehensively.

With that said. I want to thank those of you who read my post thoroughly (Sleekbrian & thesenator). To the others, my question was not about quality all i want is to play some music in my car for the time being. The cable cost me $6 dollars and is fully functional (tested it in my sisters altima). I know the sound wont be at its best but i just bought the car and have so many more projects on que before that. Its a temporary solution.

I cant look in the port because the arm rest is in the way and i tried viewing with my iphone camera but it cant focus on something so small and close. The magnet idea came to mind but i tried it on the cable i purchased and the magnet had no effect. Even if it did it would probably have to be a powerfull magnet to pull it out. Im going to take it to an auto sound place. I called in and they said they could help me.(please spare me the "don't take your car to anyone but the dealer speech)
Old 08-17-11, 04:31 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by felixsc300
+1. I spent $25 at an Apple store for a Belkin AUX with a retractable cable. You don't need to spend this much but definitely more than $0.99, lol.
Lol yeah i know. It cost me $6 dollars. Its a temporary solution and a suitable one. Its not like the aux port sounds like AM radio. I do plan on getting an adapter in the future just because i have read that the aux mode is much lower than the radio and cd modes and usually startles you when you switch back. yikes.
Old 08-17-11, 05:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I was going to give you the good think you didn't go to the dealer speech, they would have raped you to repair the aux input...
Old 08-17-11, 05:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you tried taking needle nose pliers or a pair of tweezers into the aux port?
Old 08-17-11, 06:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Pull the back panel off the console. It's held on with snaps. With this removed, the rest of the console is a breeze to take out, and the guts of the aux connector are easy to see from the bottom. See attached pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2IS Console disassembly.pdf (137.5 KB, 1019 views)
Old 08-17-11, 08:52 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Have you tried taking needle nose pliers or a pair of tweezers into the aux port?
its pretty tight in there. I tried to wedge it out with a bobby pin but got no where.
Old 08-17-11, 08:53 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Pull the back panel off the console. It's held on with snaps. With this removed, the rest of the console is a breeze to take out, and the guts of the aux connector are easy to see from the bottom. See attached pdf.
Thanks. That seems to be the answer i was looking for and kudos for the pdf. Il give it a shot tomorrow after work and let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: HELP! HELP! HELP AUX Port Issue.