IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why did you buy your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 07:01 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive owned several Lexus vehicles....ES300,GS300,and a couple of SC300's and ive enjoyed them all, i try others but ALWAYS come back to a Lexus.
When the 2IS came out i knew i had to have one but it was out of my price range at the time....(i HATE payments so i only buy cars cash) Earlier this year i had sold my 03 Cobra and wanted to try the euro thing for a while although the high maint. cost of the BMW was a HUGE turn off i was DEAD SET on either an E46 M3 or an E39 M5....
I searched the whole east coast for what i wanted and the ones i wanted were either already sold or out of my price range... while searching i accidentally ran across my IS, i hadnt even considered them as i didnt think they were in my price range yet (cash), once i saw it i knew i HAD to have it, I found it on autotrader and it was a STEAL it had everything i was looking for in a 2IS, 350....CHECK,sport package...CHECK, nav....CHECK, black interior... CHECK.
I called they guy and he said he had listed it the day before and his phone was ringing off the hook, he talked to me for a whille and told me about it and i ended up sending him a $500 paypal deposit site unseen untill i could go pick it up, it was a gamble but i knew if i wanted it i had to jump on it, it definately paid off, I LOVE IT!!

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 08-21-11 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-20-11, 07:27 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

My 357hp 00 SI got stolen... RIP baby girl! On the flip side Triple A gave me 13.5k for that car w00t!
Old 08-21-11, 05:24 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Wife had an 04 Jag Xtype with 50k and it was time for a change. We had test drove a used SC when I was looking for a new car in 09. She really liked the Matador Red. So when we decided to start shopping, I found a 2 yr old red SC. Took it for a test drive and she didn't like how she sat in the seat. After a couple weeks of doing research, we test drove all the verts. She wanted a hard top vert, so that narrowed the choices. It came back to the IS because of the reviews and the Matador Red Mica. Then after doing some more research, we switched to an ES350 because of the pricing (dealer invoice and reduced dealer paperwork fees). A couple weeks later, another local dealer said we would match invoice and fees on the IS350C. So she got what she really wanted - the IS350C.
Old 08-21-11, 06:05 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iRock
Cheap luxury LOL. Everything else is a BONUS!
In what way exactly do you say that Lexus is cheap ? The price of a brand new Lexus is on par with it's competitor's Merc's and BMW's. I would agree that it has more features but no way is a Lexus cheap. Even if you buy it second hand it's still more expensive compared to the European brands. So how do you call it cheap ?
Old 08-21-11, 09:53 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 - Wanted to treat myself to something nice, always wanted an IS since the first gen.
2 - Just broke up with my gf
Old 08-21-11, 11:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
In what way exactly do you say that Lexus is cheap ? The price of a brand new Lexus is on par with it's competitor's Merc's and BMW's.
It's not actually.

A 335i, equipped similarly to my 350, was about $9000 more (invoice pricing, so not even considering dealer markup). And the interior was vastly nicer on the Lexus too.

That's likely what he meant by cheap.
Old 08-21-11, 11:42 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Because I couldn't go another summer here in SC without A/C! Yes I loved my Civics, but I'll be a family man in a few years, and why not plan ahead and get myself that 4dr with the 300 horses to boot...and wrapped in a nice looking pkg to boot! Oh, getting it for a steal helped too! LOL
Old 08-21-11, 12:01 PM
lextasy08
Rookie

jsut beacuse Lexus makes some of the best cars and the is250 is non less than astonishing
Old 08-21-11, 12:10 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-I needed back seats. A 2 seater was becoming more of a hassle than a joy
-NEEDED something as fast or faster than my previous car
-Had to be exotic/rare....I never see F's on the street
-Its a beauty!
Old 08-21-11, 12:52 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking for one since the end of 2009 but I held off until my previous ride broke down. Coming from a family that all owned Toyotas, I knew I wanted a Lexus. My 96 Camry Coupe was showing its age. One day, the engine light came on and all the engine oil spilled out due to faulty oil pan. Engine froze. Didn't make sense to spend $2k to fix it as its so old, so I started looking.

Considered a G37 but liked the IS style better and the "Lexus" brand is more upscale than Infiniti. I knew I was going used since I'd save about $15k off a new one. Couldn't find the color and options I really wanted since the IS350 is so rare, especially with Luxury package. I had to compromise. I got 07 instead of 08, Tungsten Pearl instead of Glacier Frost Mica, and no ML Nav. But it was the closest I could find within my area.

Pulled the trigger and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by istarzan; 09-25-11 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 02:35 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was driving home late one night on the freeway with my friends in my '03 gs430. A little stupid silver IS350 pulled up beside me and floored it. I mashed the gs but being a 5 speed I couldn't catch a good gear and basically had my a$$ handed to me all the way up to 130 or so at which point I gave up. The next day I was at the local Lexus dealer looking for my IS...the rest is history.
Old 08-21-11, 04:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was actually looking into a newer TSX and BMW 3 series. Wasn't really even considering the IS (i have no idea why). But went to an Acura dealer and they treated me like crap, plus i couldn't get over that UHGGGGLYY front grill. BMW, though the car was nice and customer service was there, was charging wayyy to much for even base model model 328i's. Decided to randomly stop by a Lexus dealer just to see what they had. Saw my car, good price, luxurious, CPO warranty and customer service was excellent. Negotiated for a bit, bought it and never looked back Had a 1998 Honda Prelude before, LOVED the car, but with over 150k miles it was slowly starting to show its age and my job called for a more professional vehicle than a modified Prelude lol
Old 08-21-11, 07:54 PM
Pinoyako
Rookie

Well, I just graduated from Highschool. My parents wanted to buy me and my 16 year old brother cars. So since we live in Washington where you can get the 4 seasons in a day. =P We had to get AWD for the safety. I always wanted an IS. After some research I found out that I wanted an IS250 AWD because of its Style, Luxuryness, and the price. Gotta say it was a great deal. Then the next day my younger brother got a '11 STI... Since its my first car I might aswell be happy, and having no hard feeling not getting the 350.
Old 08-21-11, 08:03 PM
raywest
Driver

Originally Posted by Pinoyako
Well, I just graduated from Highschool. My parents wanted to buy me and my 16 year old brother cars. So since we live in Washington where you can get the 4 seasons in a day. =P We had to get AWD for the safety. I always wanted an IS. After some research I found out that I wanted an IS250 AWD because of its Style, Luxuryness, and the price. Gotta say it was a great deal. Then the next day my younger brother got a '11 STI... Since its my first car I might aswell be happy, and having no hard feeling not getting the 350.
You got loaded parents, congrats on getting born in that family! haha
Old 08-21-11, 08:03 PM
raywest
Driver

Originally Posted by nixx621
I was driving home late one night on the freeway with my friends in my '03 gs430. A little stupid silver IS350 pulled up beside me and floored it. I mashed the gs but being a 5 speed I couldn't catch a good gear and basically had my a$$ handed to me all the way up to 130 or so at which point I gave up. The next day I was at the local Lexus dealer looking for my IS...the rest is history.
This is funny

Like they say, if you can't beat them, join them!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your IS?