IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinions about dropping my IS350!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11 | 11:17 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Deegee
Honestly if your asking this, I wouldn't recommend lowering it at all. Its nice the way it is.
because you popped out the womb knowing the difference between coilovers/airbags and could analyze differences in spring rates.

People have to learn somehow, at least he's asking questions and researching.
Old 08-23-11 | 11:34 AM
is350memb
Driver

Originally Posted by abitta1
Recommend any good brand??
stance coilover.... all the way

http://stancecoilovers.com/products/...s-is250-is350/
Old 08-23-11 | 11:37 AM
is350memb
Driver

Originally Posted by TheSenator
because you popped out the womb knowing the difference between coilovers/airbags and could analyze differences in spring rates.

People have to learn somehow, at least he's asking questions and researching.
amend to that... before i want to change my rims and i was asking questions about it and i also ran into answer like this. i mean people learn from asking questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-11 | 12:53 PM
Pinoyako
Rookie

I heard that Coilsprings effect the drive quality, is that true?
Old 08-23-11 | 01:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pinoyako
I heard that Coilsprings effect the drive quality, is that true?
If you mean the rate of the spring, of course it does... but most coilovers can be ordered with a choice of spring rates (another plus compared to normal lowering springs)
Old 08-23-11 | 02:00 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
If you need some help with your suspension setup feel free to shoot us a PM
CircuitMS is where i get my BC coilover, they are very reliable vendor and good customer service, look for tristan. Difinitely go for coilover, u wont regret it.
Old 08-23-11 | 03:38 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I'm on F Sport springs myself and love them. Most of the people on CL that are dropped on coils think the "slammed" look is the way to go. They rub their fender liners to pieces then use terms like "it ain't low unless your rubbing". Personally some gap looks good, when you have no gap and a slight tuck that's when you make your ride look comparabale to a civic with chopped springs. Not good taste for a $40k luxury car.

What you need to realize is that coils need to be rebuilt every 30,000 miles which is enough reason for me not to go with them. I drive 30,000 miles a year so it just doesn't make sense. I had coils on my Evo but I didn't do it for a slammed look but rather better handling as I was also corner weighted. I have the factory sport shocks on my F sports spring but if you don't have the factory sport suspension I would also recommend getting the F Sport Bilsteins with the springs as the stock springs won't hold up for long.
Old 08-23-11 | 05:18 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

+ 1 on making it look like a civic, I'd say f sport!!
Old 08-23-11 | 06:10 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

Would lowering on BC coilovers lead to rubbing? I wanna get rid of some of the gap but don't want to deal with rubbing..

What is the ballpark figure for getting BC coilovers and having them installed? and then alignment? I have some money saved but not sure if it's enough so I'm just trying to see..
Old 08-24-11 | 09:58 AM
TwistaHSH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I'm on F Sport springs myself and love them. Most of the people on CL that are dropped on coils think the "slammed" look is the way to go. They rub their fender liners to pieces then use terms like "it ain't low unless your rubbing". Personally some gap looks good, when you have no gap and a slight tuck that's when you make your ride look comparabale to a civic with chopped springs. Not good taste for a $40k luxury car.
I gotta co-sign and +1 myself
Old 08-24-11 | 09:32 PM
JDMmanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
no not like airbags, you can do it yourself.

one is coil the other one is spring, you see the two gold rings? thats where yo adjust your height.
lol ^^^04 sti pink struts!!! ^^^

save and go wit coilovers trust me... had two different sets of springs and even blew a stock shock and sounded like my whole suspension was loose ( not a good feeling) best mod i done is coilovers!
Old 08-24-11 | 09:53 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

+1 for coilovers!
Old 08-24-11 | 10:19 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by my95tsi

What you need to realize is that coils need to be rebuilt every 30,000 miles which is enough reason for me not to go with them. I drive 30,000 miles a year so it just doesn't make sense. I had coils on my Evo but I didn't do it for a slammed look but rather better handling as I was also corner weighted. I have the factory sport shocks on my F sports spring but if you don't have the factory sport suspension I would also recommend getting the F Sport Bilsteins with the springs as the stock springs won't hold up for long.
I agree 100%. To each their own, but my f-sport springs set my car to the perfect height for me. Definitely would not want it lower.
Old 08-24-11 | 10:24 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

Just want to share my recent experience with dropping my 2IS. I wanted to do the F sport drop at first either because I was afraid I wouldn't like it slammed and wanted to preserve stock ride quality. But after reading and researching, I decided to try coilovers as there was so much good feedback on the BCRs. I got it from CM as most people also recommend and I love them! The coils aren't even that bad in terms of ride quality. I mean it is definitely stiffer compared to stock, but it's by no means bad. I didn't play with any of the damper settings, so everything is how it came in the box, so I guess it all works out. Cornering and also acceleration out of a corner is also more confident as the car is riding on a firmer suspension. And also people have rubbing issues because they're slammed and have spacers/kit. The drop on BCRs by default I have no rubbing issues, the only time I heard a little rubbing was cornering at 50km/h 90 degree turn while keeping in my own lane turning into a street that was slanted downwards and I heard a little rubbing. But besides that even going lock to lock doing 180s, I'm having no problems. For reference here's before and after the drop. I was on the factory luxo pkg stock.

Old 08-24-11 | 10:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Love my F-sports. The majority of lowered IS's I see use these. It's the more hardcore enthusiasts you find online (like here) that are going to recommend the coils (not a bad thing). Be careful about what you chose. Practicality with a daily driver is very important in the longrun, as well as for resale value.

Quick Reply: Opinions about dropping my IS350!!