IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

keep is250 or get e46 m3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 05:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread has had me looking at local prices for E46 M3's btw...some pretty good deals.

Then i remember how much service costs
Old 08-23-11, 09:31 PM
calvin2376
Racer

I hope this doesn't devolve into yet another Lexus vs. BMW / 2IS vs. 3-Series discussion, as it's already been done to death: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...thread-36.html

To your specific question, I'd add a few things to your pros/cons list:

is250 pros: larger resale market, more reliable, presumably more/better options, nicer interior, 4 doors
cons: performance

e46 m3 pros: performance, manual
cons: poor reliability, worse interior, more limited resale market, more expensive and more frequent maintenance (especially with clutch)

Overall this just comes down to a simple question: is the extra performance of the M3 worth having an older 2-door car with fewer options and much worse gas mileage and reliability/maintenance?

There's no judgment here; if you truly do value performance above the sum of all those other cons, by all means go for it. I highly value performance, however my more reasonable side wins out and I can't justify the exorbitant maintenance and repair costs and worse reliability of BMW. I've owned BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus, and the German cars have always had worse reliability. This anecdotal evidence is more than borne out in surveys, Consumer Reports data, and secondary market price data.

I'd highly recommend trying the IS350 to add to your consideration set. I was in the same position as you, deciding between various BMW 3-Series (335 and E46 M3) and the 2IS. I drove every variation of both models, and the 350 was by far the winner. As you'd expect and as most people would agree, the BMW had a better steering and handling feel, and the M3 was seriously fast. However, the IS350 had a far better interior, better options, was less expensive, got better gas mileage, and actually felt almost as fast as the M3. Most importantly, after my experiences with BMW and Lexus, I knew the 350 would cost me less down the road and would give me fewer headaches. Even an M or AMG can't beat a Lexus when it's in the shop.
Old 08-23-11, 11:07 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall this just comes down to a simple question: is the extra performance of the M3 worth having an older 2-door car with fewer options and much worse gas mileage and reliability/maintenance?
This pretty much sums it up. Although, regarding "options," one could probably get a "fully loaded" one without paying too much extra since we are talking used ones. Most E46 M3's came equipped with pretty much all you'd want from a car that caliber...Bi-Xenons, power seats, moon roof, HK Sound, etc. Some came with Nav, but you probably wouldn't want that ancient nav system anyways.

Also, although M3 is a 2-door coupe, the back seats are functional if not more so than the ones in IS. Even the front seats seem to be more roomier than the front seats of my IS350...if you care for things like this.

Now, when it comes to performance there is no contest vs. IS250. The car handles very well for a car that weighs some 3400 lb. The best part is reving that inline 6 all the way up to sky high red-line while listening to the engine scream. Coming from AP1 S2000, this high reving nature of the S54 engine was the main reason why I bought mine. I even enjoy the "rasp" coming from the stock quad exhaust that so many owners complained about. I think it gives that car a character Overall, it's a completely different animal from IS250/IS350.

Regarding maintenance/reliability issue, I'd be the first to admit that BMW won't touch Lexus when it comes to reliability. However, if you can locate yourself a good, honest, independent shop that specializes in Bimmers that knows what they are doing, you are going to be OK. At least that's what I've been doing instead of going to dealerships that demands money just to look at the car

Some early models (2000-2002) had engine bearing failures, which BMW addressed by issuing bearing recalls. I'd stay away from those early ones, but if you get one, make sure the bearing recall fix was performed.

Gas mileage? I can get either 23 mpg or 19 mpg...it all depends on how you drive. Mine has SMG II tranny so I can put the system to the "slowest" shifting mode and drive like grandma all day if I want to save some gas...OR drive like I stole it and get a lousy mpg.

If you want to stay within the Lexus family, you can always opt for an IS350 as many other have said here.

Drive them both and decide.

Good luck.

Last edited by Gymniac; 08-23-11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 11:26 PM
e46
Rookie

The e46 M3 is one of my all time favorite cars, but I would be very careful about picking one up, especially switching from a Lexus. I've owned several BMWs, but they were all maintained perfectly. They can be a nightmare if you buy one from someone who is not a fanatic like I was. I own a IS250 also, so I can understand the wanting a HP boost from the M3, but like others have said I would possibly go with the IS350.

The e46, even though it is one of my favorite BMW models, does look a little dated to me compared to the ISX50 also.
Old 08-24-11, 08:39 AM
JDMmanny
Rookie

yeah i think im just going to keep the IS250 and and hopefully in the near future pick up a sti or evo.
Old 08-24-11, 03:23 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made this switch, but the other way around, and I have an IS350 instead of the 250. I had so much on my M3 (minus the time where I almost went to jail LoL). Plenty of power for an NA. When I bought it, I had the intention of keeping it til it stopped running coz I love the motor and the body style. But that changed when I started having problems and it cost me $$$. My suggestion - if you know the previous owner and it has a really low mileage, go for it. Otherwise, be prepare to spend $$$ on maintenance and I guess mods LoL.

Anyways here's a pic of my Murdered-Out M3

Old 08-24-11, 04:03 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^^ Damnnnnn J, you definately got taste when it comes to modding yur cars.
Old 08-24-11, 08:27 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M3, hands down.

1st if you can afford one, then I assume your pocketbook is sizable enough to shrug off maintenance, and the payback in driving pleasure will always beat a Lexus.
If your stretching to reach an M3 and maintenance is an issue, just make sure its covered... problem solved...

BOL
Vince
Old 08-24-11, 08:42 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by CleverName
M3, hands down.

1st if you can afford one, then I assume your pocketbook is sizable enough to shrug off maintenance, and the payback in driving pleasure will always beat a Lexus.
If your stretching to reach an M3 and maintenance is an issue, just make sure its covered... problem solved...

BOL
Vince
Maintenance never is covered, unless you can obtain parts at a steep discount and do everything yourself; that describes very few people. Even if you do it all yourself, there's an opportunity cost for your time.

And getting repairs "covered" is even less likely. There's no such thing as a reasonably-priced aftermarket warranty for a used M. Warranty companies often won't even touch M or AMG cars, and if they do, the cost is prohibitive. This is exactly why it looks like there are great "deals" on used ones; no one wants to own them out of warranty.

Last edited by calvin2376; 08-24-11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 09:15 PM
JDMmanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by myMRMis350
I made this switch, but the other way around, and I have an IS350 instead of the 250. I had so much on my M3 (minus the time where I almost went to jail LoL). Plenty of power for an NA. When I bought it, I had the intention of keeping it til it stopped running coz I love the motor and the body style. But that changed when I started having problems and it cost me $$$. My suggestion - if you know the previous owner and it has a really low mileage, go for it. Otherwise, be prepare to spend $$$ on maintenance and I guess mods LoL.

Anyways here's a pic of my Murdered-Out M3

tastefully modded M3 yeah just going to keep my is250 and just start shaving to get a sti... i know those cars up and down
Old 08-28-11, 10:56 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Is350

Point.
Old 08-29-11, 03:03 AM
rich250x
Pole Position

the m3 is a sexy car but the reliability issues scare me away from trading in my is for one
Old 09-25-11, 10:32 PM
carkrayze
Driver School Candidate

I have a 500+ whp supercharged e46 m3 and honestly it eats an ISF for lunch performance wise, but the car is a pain to maintain and is expensive to fix when it does break, they aren't all that comfortable to drive, and they are the older model now so the head turning factor has been reduced somewhat. if you can deal with the automatic transmission i would get the is350 or isf, or if they are too expensive, keep the 250.. at the end of the day you would be trading a toyota for a bmw and i think its a mistake. if you have any questions about e46 m3's feel free to ask, im actually about to sell my m3 and buy an isf hopefully.
Old 09-25-11, 10:42 PM
lowis250
Lead Lap

KEEP THE IS250. e46 m3 are a pos and you will hit your self in the face if you buy that car
Old 09-25-11, 11:23 PM
ttiangco
Driver

I've read a few posts in this thread referring to engine and clutch replacements..I had an 03 m3 with a dinan s1 package and never had I ever had a problem with either. Yea the interior sucks but it's hard to beat the way any M car handles and feels. Sure the maintenance is a little more but as long as your doing prevantative maintenance you should be fine. I had mine for 4 years and didn't have to do anything out of servicing. The m3 is a sports car while a is250 or 350 is more of a luxury sports. IMO I still love the exterior of the e46 m3 more than the isx50. If you really want one I'd get a newer one like 05. Do not get an 02 cause that was the worst year. I do just hate how everyone without a BMW loves to trash talk them. They always seem to say they are pieces of crap, some from experience but most from word of mouth. I too bought a Lexus to have "worry free, and reliable" car..funny cause I had to replace my tranny at 120kms. So I don't agree with what everyone says. Experience it for yourself

Quick Reply: keep is250 or get e46 m3?