IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My new Smart Card + Saddleback wallet = Near Perfection! :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 10:36 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why would you buy this again? You have to carry keys around regardless right? House keys, etc. You already stick your keyfob on the key chain with the other keys.
Old 08-24-11, 12:01 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
So why would you buy this again? You have to carry keys around regardless right? House keys, etc. You already stick your keyfob on the key chain with the other keys.
I don't carry keys around anymore. I do keep a set of office keys in my car, so I can unlock my office. Other than that, I don't need house keys cause I use my garage remote all the time.
Old 08-24-11, 12:12 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslivin
I don't carry keys around anymore. I do keep a set of office keys in my car, so I can unlock my office. Other than that, I don't need house keys cause I use my garage remote all the time.
In that case, that's badass then if you can do away with all your keys.
Old 08-24-11, 12:23 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3003o3
not sure if the cards vary from year-to-year but for the '11s they do have a "backup" key. in the first pic the key slides and locks into the slot and sits flush with the card. and both go in your wallet
All years have the mechanical key.

I wouldn't mind getting one of these keys. I mean it's only 1 less key on your ring, but the Lexus smart key isn't exactly the smallest thing. If it wasn't on my ring, I'd have a lot less bulk in my pocket.

Jeff
Old 08-24-11, 05:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I don't generally carry any "real" keys either thanks to garage opener... so this is one of the things I bought this with my $500 lexus recall card and it's fairly awesome.

It's funny, when I first got the car I found it fantastic not to have to carry a physical key, now I've got the same feeling all over again not even having to carry the fob

Don't really miss the "buttons" as the I never used the ones on the fob anyway.... for the door I always used the handle instelf, and the trunk I open either using the trunk itself or the button on the dash
Old 08-24-11, 06:53 AM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

^^ i agree. even if i carry around "real" keys, they all sit comfortably and flush with the key rings and what not. the smart key is extremely awkward once you put it on a key ring. i rarely press the buttons on the fob (unless my gf's key is in the car) so a card key would be extremely convenient for me
Old 08-24-11, 07:23 AM
Fsport350
Driver

This is pretty cool. This might be my next purchase! lol
Old 08-24-11, 12:30 PM
DsJackson
Driver School Candidate

I just got my new SmartAccess Card...

Front of wallet
I see you're a Starwood guy. Traveling profession like myself? I'm on the same mission - eliminate keys and other annoying things in my pocket. At least until winter comes.
Old 08-24-11, 04:15 PM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
All years have the mechanical key.

I wouldn't mind getting one of these keys. I mean it's only 1 less key on your ring, but the Lexus smart key isn't exactly the smallest thing. If it wasn't on my ring, I'd have a lot less bulk in my pocket.

Jeff
If I'm not mistaken, 06 and 07 unfortunately cannot use the mechanical key that fits in the Smart Card because the physical key blank/slot is thicker. In 08 they changed the keys to a thinner profile.

I have an 07 and would love to have one of these, but the fear of coming to a car with a dead battery and no way in makes me hesitate.
Old 08-24-11, 05:03 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The door and trunk lock cylinders are the same from 06-11. Only the glovebox is different between 06-07 and 08+. Not sure what's different, but the later keys are still just as thick, all they changed was that they only cut 1 side of the key instead of both sides.

If you want to be at least a bit safer, you could order the key insert first and try it in your locks to see if you can open them, and then order the card itself.

I don't think you'll have problems using the mechanical key to open the door.

Jeff
Old 08-24-11, 11:18 PM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The door and trunk lock cylinders are the same from 06-11. Only the glovebox is different between 06-07 and 08+. Not sure what's different, but the later keys are still just as thick, all they changed was that they only cut 1 side of the key instead of both sides.

If you want to be at least a bit safer, you could order the key insert first and try it in your locks to see if you can open them, and then order the card itself.

I don't think you'll have problems using the mechanical key to open the door.

Jeff
that's actually what i've done so far haha. i got the key portion from Sewell cut to my VIN and so far i've only tested it on the glovebox which works fine ('11). I have yet to try it on the doors and also need a card key!
Old 08-24-11, 11:25 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by StpdSavant
If I'm not mistaken, 06 and 07 unfortunately cannot use the mechanical key that fits in the Smart Card because the physical key blank/slot is thicker. In 08 they changed the keys to a thinner profile.

I have an 07 and would love to have one of these, but the fear of coming to a car with a dead battery and no way in makes me hesitate.
06 and 07 ISx50 keys won't fit in the smart card. I think it has to do with being double-sided or something. If you search on CL you'll find posts on it.
Old 08-24-11, 11:29 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by DsJackson
I see you're a Starwood guy. Traveling profession like myself? I'm on the same mission - eliminate keys and other annoying things in my pocket. At least until winter comes.
Yeah the Starwood card is great (including Platinum status ).

By the way, my wife wanted me to post this pic of my wallet wall holder. All I need is my front pocket wallet (carries 3 credit/debit cards, costco card, drivers license, and my smart card) and my iPhone, and I'm out the door. I love it.

My new Smart Card + Saddleback wallet = Near Perfection!  :)-wozmo.jpg
Old 08-25-11, 01:16 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

06 and 07 ISx50 keys won't fit in the smart card. I think it has to do with being double-sided or something. If you search on CL you'll find posts on it.
I know the older keys used to be double-sided cut (like all Lexus keys used to be), and I know the newer IS only has one side cut. It's possible that a single-side cut key may not work in the older locks like you say, but from all the searching I've done, I couldn't verify that with anyone who actually tried.

In any case, if the lock cylinders on the 06-07 do require a double-sided key, then yeah, you'd be out of luck, unless you ordered/changed your driver's door lock to an 08+ cylinder (the 07 cylinder changes up to the 08 one now, but it is possible the original 07 cylinders did require double-sided cut).

I don't have enough practical experience with 06-07 IS mechanical keys to know for sure, but I do know they were double-sided cut back then and aren't now. Even though the current keys are the same thickness, just single-sided cut.

Jeff
Old 08-25-11, 07:41 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

wow, $250 + programing.......that expensive for a key, lol.

Quick Reply: My new Smart Card + Saddleback wallet = Near Perfection! :)