IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Phillips 5000K ultinon installed:sad:

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 05:33 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from 4300K to 6000K and was happy with the color, but was disappointed with the usable light output.
Old 08-28-11, 06:21 PM
HIDness
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
how do i get 6k from nigel, i need to replace mine now
order from his website......$299 shipped to your door. QUICK DELIVERY but lack of response lately the last few weeks. I think he have a helper that help him ship his parts when he's not around.
Old 08-28-11, 06:22 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Dang.. $300 for HID bulbs..
Old 08-28-11, 06:26 PM
DarkIs250
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecr527
I went from 4300K to 6000K and was happy with the color, but was disappointed with the usable light output.
Hence, for best driving lighting condition, 4300k is best? I was reading a while back, OEM's use 4300K, is it because it gives the best lighting for driving(stimulates daylight?)
Old 08-28-11, 06:52 PM
DsJackson
Driver School Candidate

yep they have the best color rendition. Halogen is even far better... if only they were as bright as HID they would be my light of choice.
Old 08-28-11, 08:40 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
From 4300K to 6000K there will be a less usable output. However in comparision with other brands with 6000K, Philips Ultinon has the most lumen's and color output out of the rest.

Originally Posted by HIDness
order from his website......$299 shipped to your door. QUICK DELIVERY but lack of response lately the last few weeks. I think he have a helper that help him ship his parts when he's not around.
Should be able to get it cheaper since there is a "clublexus" discount which you can use on his website.

Originally Posted by DarkIs250
Hence, for best driving lighting condition, 4300k is best? I was reading a while back, OEM's use 4300K, is it because it gives the best lighting for driving(stimulates daylight?)
4300K is the best since it's has the most usable color output (more yellow). Of course for the HID, the yellow does not quite look that good, so you would have to sacrafice the usuable color output for the whiter look.

Originally Posted by DsJackson
yep they have the best color rendition. Halogen is even far better... if only they were as bright as HID they would be my light of choice.
I thought HID would have better color rendition. I'm not too sure but maybe you would know. Does HID's naturally flicker like a filament bulb?
Old 08-28-11, 09:15 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

yeah the 5000K Philips Ultinon output is look exactly like the new RX350 d4s, it look a little brighter than my original d4s came with the car, but 5000K philips ultinon and the newer rx d4s has the same color output, it very hard to capture the light from my iphone, but in person it look more yellow not white like seen in the pics that I posted spent $270 on these 5000K is a waste I wish I've bought the 6000K ultinon instead.
Old 08-28-11, 09:19 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I noticed that you have 6000k Garax before. What made you change them for Philips?
Old 08-28-11, 09:33 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I noticed that you have 6000k Garax before. What made you change them for Philips?
Yeah, because I thought philips would give out nicer output color, but I was wrong, I should compare Garax 6000k to Philips 6000K man such a waste on the 5000K ultinon
Old 08-29-11, 07:48 AM
DsJackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
I thought HID would have better color rendition. I'm not too sure but maybe you would know. Does HID's naturally flicker like a filament bulb?
Well, in a nutshell color rendition is better when the light output's emission spectrum is similar to sunlight and halogen better approximates sunlight's spectrum. Halogen light is thermionic emission (heat excites electrons until emission) so you get a smattering of light @ a lot of different wavelengths. HID and other arc/gaseous type lamps light via plasma emission where the major contributors to light output are at specific wavelengths which are characteristic of the elements inside the lamp. Loosely/conceptually, HID lamps blend a handful of specific colors to get "white" and halogen blends basically all visible colors to get "white". Thus halogen is more similar to sunlight & has better color rendition. This is also why fluorescent lighting in your home is so sucky vs incandescent.

Also filament bulbs have a tendency not to flicker. Unless you mean to refer to the flickering problem some people have with HID lamps. This is caused by a problem between the ballast driving the lamp and/or the lamp itself and/or the lamp's environment (e.g. too cold). HID light is emitted from an arc inside the lamp which follows the contour of the top of the quartz glass containing the arc - it looks like an upside down smile because of this. When conditions are unstable, the arc will start to skip around and even start to rotate inside the quarts like a jump rope. Put this into a projector lamp and you get flickering. Unfortunately it's hard to say what exactly is causing flickering without measuring a bunch of crap but I would lean towards blaming the bulb in most cases because I believe ballast waveforms are pretty standardized while bulb composition can easily be compromised due to careless manufacturing.

sorry y'all I meant to not write a lot of off topic stuff. Hope you don't mind - back on topic.
Old 08-29-11, 09:42 AM
lexgirl1
Driver School Candidate

can someone please tell me how to take out the Headlights
Old 08-29-11, 09:48 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DsJackson
Well, in a nutshell color rendition is better when the light output's emission spectrum is similar to sunlight and halogen better approximates sunlight's spectrum. Halogen light is thermionic emission (heat excites electrons until emission) so you get a smattering of light @ a lot of different wavelengths. HID and other arc/gaseous type lamps light via plasma emission where the major contributors to light output are at specific wavelengths which are characteristic of the elements inside the lamp. Loosely/conceptually, HID lamps blend a handful of specific colors to get "white" and halogen blends basically all visible colors to get "white". Thus halogen is more similar to sunlight & has better color rendition. This is also why fluorescent lighting in your home is so sucky vs incandescent.

Also filament bulbs have a tendency not to flicker. Unless you mean to refer to the flickering problem some people have with HID lamps. This is caused by a problem between the ballast driving the lamp and/or the lamp itself and/or the lamp's environment (e.g. too cold). HID light is emitted from an arc inside the lamp which follows the contour of the top of the quartz glass containing the arc - it looks like an upside down smile because of this. When conditions are unstable, the arc will start to skip around and even start to rotate inside the quarts like a jump rope. Put this into a projector lamp and you get flickering. Unfortunately it's hard to say what exactly is causing flickering without measuring a bunch of crap but I would lean towards blaming the bulb in most cases because I believe ballast waveforms are pretty standardized while bulb composition can easily be compromised due to careless manufacturing.

sorry y'all I meant to not write a lot of off topic stuff. Hope you don't mind - back on topic.
I believe you answered it for me. It's more like the Halogen has that natural shimmering effect or something from what I notice. I think I do notice it on HIDs. It's like you know, in your house you look at your incandescent light and if you star at it you notice the light shimmering, I guess that is what you mean by spattering light. Probably more notable if you look at a street lamp at a far distance you see it too. There are assuming it’s not broken where you actually physically see it flickering like a strobe light.

I did not quite notice this with HID unless it does.
Old 08-29-11, 09:52 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexgirl1
can someone please tell me how to take out the Headlights
There are threads in the forum how to take them out. I believe it requires taking out the airbox and washing fluid tube thing. I never done it myself but I did do this method to change the high beam and parking lights.
Old 08-29-11, 12:03 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you don't have to take out the airbox and washing fluid tube. That's just to access the back of the headlight to change bulbs and stuff. You do need to drop the bumper though. There are 3 bolts and a clip that holds the headlight in place. There's a thread somewhere that goes into more detail, which is what I used.
Old 08-29-11, 03:30 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

To take the headlights out, you have to remove the screw on the side of the bumper and fender off and pull the bumper toward the front of the car to able to get the bumper freely of the headlight bracket under the headlight and unscrew three screws ( two up and one side) and the wire harness on the side too