IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Satin Wrap Roof on SGM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11 | 08:18 AM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satin Wrap Roof on SGM?

Thinking about getting a wrap for the roof in satin black. Any one has this set up so i can see how it looks. I love satin & Matte finishes on cars but i cant afford to wrap the whole thing nor do i want to do it on a dd. Pics & oppinons welcomed.
Old 08-29-11 | 10:02 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 121 Likes on 48 Posts

do it right or dont do it at all....thats my two pennies
Old 08-29-11 | 10:31 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might help you out..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-my-sgm.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lack-roof.html

Old 08-29-11 | 10:42 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

IMO, any dark color roof wrap on a dark color car don't stand out, too subtle.
Old 08-29-11 | 11:02 AM
Javspo0lin
Driver School Candidate

^agree it mostly looks good on white cars
Old 08-29-11 | 11:16 AM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

I do industrial design and ive been into car designing since i was a kid and to my knowledge the purpose and appeal of the black top is to create a seamless flow from the front windshield to the back. this was implemented to disguise huge panoramic sunroofs. I think it works well with any car except for black for obvious reasons. Even if its subtle on sgm i think it will still look nice but in gloss i know it wont stand out at all which is why i consider doing satin to make it stand out more after i saw it on a green m3 at this years auto show. Il render it on Photoshop to see how it looks and il keep you guys informed. thanks
Old 08-29-11 | 12:55 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HALLELUJAH
I do industrial design and ive been into car designing since i was a kid and to my knowledge the purpose and appeal of the black top is to create a seamless flow from the front windshield to the back. this was implemented to disguise huge panoramic sunroofs. I think it works well with any car except for black for obvious reasons. Even if its subtle on sgm i think it will still look nice but in gloss i know it wont stand out at all which is why i consider doing satin to make it stand out more after i saw it on a green m3 at this years auto show. Il render it on Photoshop to see how it looks and il keep you guys informed. thanks

I have satin black vinyl on my car, although it's not a SGM it's similar (Truffle mica) and I too thought of doing my roof once but glad I didn't. The little satin black vinyl on my hood is the only thing that compliments my car well. If any more, I think it would look weird.
Old 08-29-11 | 01:32 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about this too at one point... still thinking about it actually.

So, when I had my rear skirt put on (INGs rep), I had the lower part painted glossy black. The dude at the paint shop told me not to since it wouldn't stand out... well I'm glad I didn't listen to him because I like it. Then I had my exhaust tips powder coated black to match, and I think it looks great.

Sometimes subtle is good. So I happened to see a dark grey Gallardo (similar to SGM) with a gloss black roof and it looked hot, but it was subtle.

So I my take it on its that worst case it looks too subtle. It won't look bad. So in the end you may spend a few hundred dollars for something that doesn't stand out too much... I say go for it.

I'm sure most of us have wasted a few hundred on some crap we ended up changing later one, it's one of the bad things about the mod bug!!!

Originally Posted by HALLELUJAH