IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I buy this '07 IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 07:10 AM
leverage7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, crap.. you are probably right, even though carmax listed memory seats on there. Also updated the first post with the full service history lexus emailed me.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm not seeing any memory seats in those pictures... which means it's premium package (woodgrain and upgrades seats only), not
luxury package.
Old 08-31-11, 07:15 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leverage7
I definitely will if I decide to purchase this car. Any idea if the carmax warranty would include these TSIB issues?
Carmax's policy won't cover particular TSIBs, it'll list the parts it covers, and if it covers the parts affected by the TSIB, then the TSIB will be covered. I actually think Carmax has an exclusionary policy which is what you want - they cover everything on the car EXCEPT what's specifically listed. That means more things will be covered than an inclusionary policy, where they list specifically what IS covered and inevitably it leaves things out.

When you look at Carmax's warranty policy and coverage documents, for the cam gear TSIB, you'll want to see if it covers camshaft intake/assembly/gears for example.
Old 09-01-11, 02:03 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, my deal sounds pretty similar to yours. Similar miles and model, but a little cheaper due to yours being more fully loaded. What kind of condition was your car in when you were able to see it after being transferred?

I'm worried about the interior and exterior condition when I go out to drive it because most of the cars were disappointing when I went out to the store and checked out a few the other weekend. It's hard to tell from the pics of my car, but I'm hoping for the best.

Did your's have all the recalls completed or did you need to do that yourself? What about any TSIB (not sure what that stands for)? This whole rattling issue is worrisome in that everyone says it will pop up at some point. The 1k warranty sounds interesting. So from the time of your purchase you can take it anywhere to have work done? What kind of stuff does it cover (would this rattling issue be covered)? Is it 4 yrs and 70k miles AFTER the time of your carmax purchase?

Thanks for the info and glad to see someone else in my shoes.
The car was pretty dirty outside as they left it sitting there a few days and it was raining. The inside wasn't too clean either. But I didn't let that bother me because I can always clean it myself or get it detailed. After I bought it, they did clean and vacuum it while I was doing the paperwork. I was more interested in seeing if it was in an accident before or any electrical or mechanical problems.

I looked on the Lexus car history website and there were 2 recalls it missed, fuel rail and something else. I printed it out and showed it to my salesman and he basically said that Carmax buys and sells hundreds of cars per day and there was no way they could get recall work done on all of them. I didn't really care because I could and did get it done free from the Lexus dealership. I don't remember what TSIB work was done on the car but as of now, it doesn't need any. I don't have interior rattles...knock on wood.

They have different Maxcare extended warranty plans. I choose the 2nd cheapest. Basically it covers almost everything. I do remember that it doesn't cover door trims and some other minor things. It does cover navigation and that's the major reason I got it as I've read on here a lot of people were having Nav issues. Their is no deductible if you do warranty work at Carmax, or its $50 if you take it to Lexus or any other place. I wouldn't want to take it to Carmax because they don't specialize in Lexus and may not have the tools or know how to fix it.

You can see what it covers here:

http://www.carmax.com/enus/maxcare/default.html

Yes, the warranty only covers from how many miles you currently have. I had 37k-75k so bascially it will cover 4 more years or 38k more miles, which was fine for me since I work at home and drive less than 800 miles a month.
Old 09-01-11, 08:26 AM
leverage7
Driver School Candidate

So it sounds like if I got the extended warranty from carmax it may cover the
cam gear tsib. I wonder if it would cover the other common issues -

- Gauge needle LEDs dying (this would be electrical, no?)
- Dash rattle TSIB L-SB-0090-08 (Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise) and TSIB L-SB-0044-08 (Instrument Panel Rattle) performed

The windshield molding issue wouldn't be covered but that seems like it would be a cheaper fix?

Wouldn't have to worry about the nav screen failure since mine wouldn't have that.
Old 09-01-11, 09:45 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So it sounds like if I got the extended warranty from carmax it may cover the
cam gear tsib. I wonder if it would cover the other common issues -

- Gauge needle LEDs dying (this would be electrical, no?)
- Dash rattle TSIB L-SB-0090-08 (Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise) and TSIB L-SB-0044-08 (Instrument Panel Rattle) performed

The windshield molding issue wouldn't be covered but that seems like it would be a cheaper fix?

Wouldn't have to worry about the nav screen failure since mine wouldn't have that.
I would likely cover the gauge needles but NOT the dash rattle, as the Carmax warranty (and really all extended warranties) do NOT cover interior trim pieces, which is what the dash pad is.

The windshield molding also wouldn't be covered, but that's a more minor repair and there's a DIY on CL.
Old 09-01-11, 10:04 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Maintenance history looks normal for a 39k car. Dealers have to inform customer of any possible dangers. In this case his tires were down to the steel belt as notated by the maintenance history. I'd say get it!
Old 09-01-11, 10:32 AM
leverage7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I would likely cover the gauge needles but NOT the dash rattle, as the Carmax warranty (and really all extended warranties) do NOT cover interior trim pieces, which is what the dash pad is.

The windshield molding also wouldn't be covered, but that's a more minor repair and there's a DIY on CL.
Just how prevalent is this "dash rattle". I mean, am I certain to get it? It looks like if you don't do it by 40k miles anyway you can't have it covered, but I guess most people had those tsib's done before they noticed it? I just don't want to spend all this money and then have a car that annoys me to death with a rattle that is over a grand to fix. Seems like any car after a while is going to make noise, so maybe people are expecting too much. Anyways, I've heard about people fixing these themselves so I'm not sure of how involved that is.

That's my last standing concern really, aside from seeing and driving this in person, most of the other stuff will be covered and I can have the recalls done immediately.

Last edited by leverage7; 09-01-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 11:21 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Good luck with your purchase, I was able to buy a 2007 350 w/nav no mL 39k for $22.5+++
Holy crap, that's a damn good deal, even if you got it before the used car market took a jump.

Kinda interesting how many people apparently are getting 350's with 39K miles, though. I guess that's a popular mileage to sell a car at, heh.
Old 09-01-11, 12:32 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

it was actually closer to 40K I couldnt remember the exact number hence go with the less

to the OP I only made that statement because it took me 3 WHOLE months to find the deal, I mean to say that they ARE out there but patience is a must... also, if you plan to finance and have good credit, use a credit union and look for PRIVATE sellers.
Old 09-01-11, 12:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just how prevalent is this "dash rattle". I mean, am I certain to get it? It looks like if you don't do it by 40k miles anyway you can't have it covered, but I guess most people had those tsib's done before they noticed it? I just don't want to spend all this money and then have a car that annoys me to death with a rattle that is over a grand to fix. Seems like any car after a while is going to make noise, so maybe people are expecting too much. Anyways, I've heard about people fixing these themselves so I'm not sure of how involved that is.

That's my last standing concern really, aside from seeing and driving this in person, most of the other stuff will be covered and I can have the recalls done immediately.
Fixing it yourself is easy but takes a lot of time.

All they do is take dash pieces apart, add some foam bits to quiet it down, then put it back together.

That's why if the dealer does it it's like $5 in parts and $900 in labor or something idiotic like that.
Old 09-01-11, 12:50 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

I wonder how much a new dash cost all together.
Old 09-01-11, 01:06 PM
leverage7
Driver School Candidate

it was actually closer to 40K I couldnt remember the exact number hence go with the less

to the OP I only made that statement because it took me 3 WHOLE months to find the deal, I mean to say that they ARE out there but patience is a must... also, if you plan to finance and have good credit, use a credit union and look for PRIVATE sellers.
Gotcha, and I wish I had the luxury, believe me. Because of the fact my rental runs out soon I have not much time to get something so this is probably as good as I can find.
Old 09-01-11, 01:28 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder how much a new dash cost all together.
Given it would be even more labor to replace the whole thing, and you'd have to do the same "fix" to those parts, I'm not sure why it would matter.

(but I suspect the answer is "stupidly expensive" just like every other OEM part I've ever seen from Lexus... the rearview mirror replacement is like $900 for example, another thing you REALLY wanna get done under warranty or not at all)
Old 09-01-11, 01:37 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal for CarMax, as when I was looking for one they wanted $26k for one with 48k miles on it AND it had a nasty scratch down the pass side of the car. LOL!