IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1000 mile service...should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 08:38 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile service...should I go?

Mine is actually about 100 miles over 1K mark now. But I was curious what exactly is done in a "1000 miles service?" A quick search tells me that they can set the various features of the car to your personal liking (such as how long the headlamp stays on when after you turn off the engine on auto headlamp mode) but it's not like I was given a comprehensive list of things I can set from Lexus if such thing exist? What did they do when you brought your car in for it? It's free?
Old 08-31-11, 08:43 AM
toony15333
Pole Position

Went there last week, it is free, and I believe they just did an exterior/ under the hood inspection and adjust a few things to your personal preferences, and thats it. Took them about 45min.
Old 08-31-11, 08:45 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

free service, why not? They are just going to check all the fluids, nothing will be replaced.
Old 08-31-11, 09:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymniac
Mine is actually about 100 miles over 1K mark now. But I was curious what exactly is done in a "1000 miles service?" A quick search tells me that they can set the various features of the car to your personal liking (such as how long the headlamp stays on when after you turn off the engine on auto headlamp mode) but it's not like I was given a comprehensive list of things I can set from Lexus if such thing exist? What did they do when you brought your car in for it? It's free?
You weren't given a comprehensive list, but here's one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2334636-post4.html

Other than getting LPS done, or pointing out any issues you found with the car as-delivered (my dead pedal was loose for example) there's no reason to go.
Old 08-31-11, 09:22 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you should inspection and personalized settings basically
Old 08-31-11, 09:29 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

YES YES YES... You should change the Oil without question. Our motors have a tendency to build up shaved iron filiments. This is normal, but extremely excessive from break in on the first 1000 miles. The only way to remove them is to change your oil... SO YES YES YES TAKE IT IN... if they dont mention it... ASK THAT THEY CHANGE YOUR OIL!
Old 08-31-11, 09:40 AM
raywest
Driver

Wait, what??? There is a 1k service? I was told to come in for the complimentary 5k and 10k service...I'm at 1.6k.....omg...someone help lol
Old 08-31-11, 10:04 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I come in at 5k but changed the oil at 1000 myself.
Old 08-31-11, 10:44 AM
350FSport
Driver

It depends on how far you are from the dealership. Mine is close to an hour away so I skipped it. They will not change your oil at 1k (at least not for free, and not unless you ask them to). I had to push hard to get them to change my oil at 5k, as they were only going to do it at 10k (which is over a year for me). So I had them count my 5k as the "free" 10k and changed the oil then. I don't buy in to the "change it at 1k" stuff, but to each his/her own.
Old 08-31-11, 10:54 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not selling anything....

If you ever have built a motor you will know that metal shavings are just a part of a machined motor... Simply look at some of the results from Blackstone Oil Analysis..... There is a whole thread dedicated to oil analysis of our cars used motor oil... ALL motors have metal shavings, however the LEXUS IS has more then average... If you look at any good machine shop they will tell you to run store brand oil (IE NAPA OIL) for the first 50-60 miles, then change it... you will clearly see the shavings at your first oil change.
Old 08-31-11, 11:04 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

The only problem I have so far is the slight paint bubbles in front of headlamps. Anyone mentioned it at 1K service? Seeing that Lexus still doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to fix the problem (though I think a simple design change will do the job), I'm afraid even if I replace them now it will eventually bubble again...that is, IF they agree to replace them. So maybe I should wait until the bubble gets worse and cross my finger that Lexus will eventually come up with new parts?
Old 08-31-11, 11:08 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go in if the service was free. Let them inspect your car, change your settings for you, and sit back and enjoy some free food and drinks for about an hour
Old 08-31-11, 11:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
Im not selling anything....

If you ever have built a motor you will know that metal shavings are just a part of a machined motor... Simply look at some of the results from Blackstone Oil Analysis..... There is a whole thread dedicated to oil analysis of our cars used motor oil...
There is indeed such a thread.

And in it you'll repeatedly see cars who went 5-10k miles on their original factory oil with no problems whatsoever and excellent UOA reports.

Your "built engine" example isn't very good though, because it's not like they're hand-porting the cylinder heads on the factory-assembled motors or something.

If you can cite any example, ever, of a 2IS owner having any problems whatsoever from waiting till at least 5k or more before doing their first oil change, I'd love to see it.

I suspect no such thing exists though.
Old 08-31-11, 12:18 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I would go in if the service was free. Let them inspect your car, change your settings for you, and sit back and enjoy some free food and drinks for about an hour
Basically what I did at my 1k / 30 days service since it was free. There was no oil change... just inspections and I had to pick up my license plates. I didn't mind the free food and drinks!

Originally Posted by Gymniac
The only problem I have so far is the slight paint bubbles in front of headlamps. Anyone mentioned it at 1K service? Seeing that Lexus still doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to fix the problem (though I think a simple design change will do the job), I'm afraid even if I replace them now it will eventually bubble again...that is, IF they agree to replace them. So maybe I should wait until the bubble gets worse and cross my finger that Lexus will eventually come up with new parts?
I didn't notice mine until after my car hit 1000 miles so I brought it up at the complimentary 5k / 6 month service. The service representative said the other 2011 ISs on the dealership lot have it as well but he hasn't heard anything from Lexus. He says my headlights weren't warrantable unless the paint started chipping off. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding the headlight paint and they ended up agreeing with the dealership and did not mention any fix to the problem either. I was thinking the same thing though... even if they did replace them, unless they fixed "the problem" itself, it would probably just bubble up again.
Old 08-31-11, 12:25 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't notice mine until after my car hit 1000 miles so I brought it up at the complimentary 5k / 6 month service. The service representative said the other 2011 ISs on the dealership lot have it as well but he hasn't heard anything from Lexus. He says my headlights weren't warrantable unless the paint started chipping off. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding the headlight paint and they ended up agreeing with the dealership and did not mention any fix to the problem either. I was thinking the same thing though... even if they did replace them, unless they fixed "the problem" itself, it would probably just bubble up again.
Just looking at the piece that is bubbling, I was thinking if it would be possible to just trim some of it so that it isn't so close to the lamp? Is this just the problem of 2011 and later models? If so, how are the pre-2011 headlamps different?

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service...should I go?