IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I wanna do my own oil change ...Best oil etc..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 10:53 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HAiS250
Where do you guys get your oil filter cap wrench? I tried autozone but their cap is too big and it slips
Just order the SST, Sewell lexus (i think, forgot already), its expensive but its worth it.
Old 09-01-11, 04:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Are you sure about this service bulletin? I asked Lexus and corporate about it, and they said they still recommend 5W-30 or 0W-30 for the 2010 cars and earlier.

For the 2011 cars, they now use 0W-20.
I'd still stay with 5w30 if I had an '11.
I'd rather have the thicker oil than a .2 MPG mileage gain.

After my 5K freebie change I'm going with Amsoil 5w30 full synthetic and a oem oil filter.
Old 09-01-11, 08:28 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MAKE SURE TO USE TOYOTA BRAND FILTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URdoyzKGqFw

This was when I tried another one! DONT IT DOESNT FIT RIGHT...

Old 09-01-11, 10:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Literally any synthetic made will be fine for 10k changes.

Folks have had good results from conventional oil and 10k intervals for that matter.

If you're gonna bother to run a synthetic I'd suggest running at least 15k (with a filter change halfway through). Even Mobil 1 should be fine for 15k... and a really good group IV synthetic like Amsoil will be fine to at least 20-25k (might want to change filter twice if running to 25k though).... if you only drive 15k in a year just use the Mobil 1... if you put on 20-25 might wanna go with the amsoil so you can keep it to 1 change a year.

These guys changing synthetic oil every 5k are literally pouring money down a drain.

NOTE: The above is for normal driving conditions- If you do severe duty driving (lots of short trips where the engine never gets to operating temp for any length of time, excessive idling, lots of driving in dirty/sandy/dusty places, etc) then you'll want to use the cheapest conventional you can find, and change it considerably more often.

As always UOA will be the best way to be sure of the ideal OCI interval for YOUR car and YOUR situation...but the above is a pretty decent guide.
Old 09-01-11, 10:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Kurtz,I'm curious as to if you would have changed the oil and filter in a new vehicle that sat for over 18 months with only 95 miles on it?
Old 09-01-11, 11:14 AM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Kurtz!

I always use Mobil1 oil and OEM filter, I change every 5k miles but since I drive my car a lot(mostly highway) 5k miles lasts me 2.5months. I'm just wondering if it's really safe to change the oil more than 5k miles(we all know oil service lights up every 5k) especially like me that put a lot of miles. At the same time, I don't wanna have any problems later on as I'm planning on keeping my car til it stops running. TIA
Old 09-01-11, 11:27 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15k oil change¿ Eeek, dont think I can do that. I do it every 5k, filters too. not worth saving the money and wait 15k
Old 09-01-11, 11:38 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want to "TRY" and stretch your oil out... The recommended interval is 5k... Pouring money down the drain... Hardley, This isnt our 1998 Dodge RAM from Kentucky. C'MON GUYS... WTF IS 30 bucks 2 times a year? You drive a Lexus, not a Toyota Corolla! Do the recommended maintanance schedule!

Old 09-01-11, 11:43 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Literally any synthetic made will be fine for 10k changes.

Folks have had good results from conventional oil and 10k intervals for that matter.

If you're gonna bother to run a synthetic I'd suggest running at least 15k (with a filter change halfway through). Even Mobil 1 should be fine for 15k... and a really good group IV synthetic like Amsoil will be fine to at least 20-25k (might want to change filter twice if running to 25k though).... if you only drive 15k in a year just use the Mobil 1... if you put on 20-25 might wanna go with the amsoil so you can keep it to 1 change a year.

These guys changing synthetic oil every 5k are literally pouring money down a drain.

NOTE: The above is for normal driving conditions- If you do severe duty driving (lots of short trips where the engine never gets to operating temp for any length of time, excessive idling, lots of driving in dirty/sandy/dusty places, etc) then you'll want to use the cheapest conventional you can find, and change it considerably more often.

As always UOA will be the best way to be sure of the ideal OCI interval for YOUR car and YOUR situation...but the above is a pretty decent guide.
See this is what I always expected of using syn oil, benefits wise. Some BMW models factory oil maintenance is up to 19K.

I understand most of the oil manufacturers are going to tell you to change it when the auto maker says to, for liability reasons and frequent changes = money in their pocket.

Is there a place I can do some good reading on this that is not a retailer, or "experts" on a forum? (No offense to those that have done some true research)
Old 09-01-11, 11:50 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ +267526452543
Old 09-01-11, 12:08 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
Why would you want to "TRY" and stretch your oil out... The recommended interval is 5k... Pouring money down the drain... Hardley, This isnt our 1998 Dodge RAM from Kentucky. C'MON GUYS... WTF IS 30 bucks 2 times a year? You drive a Lexus, not a Toyota Corolla! Do the recommended maintanance schedule!
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes, I even do it at 3.5k, filter at 5k. Mobil synthetic 1. CA driver.
Old 09-01-11, 12:28 PM
HAiS250
Pole Position

They are trying to save a buck or two... but it IS a Lexus
Old 09-01-11, 12:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would you spend 2-4 times more on oil changes for no benefit?

because that's what you are recommending people do.

My last two cars were a 500+ hp vehicle, where I change the oil 1/yr, and never had a problem (Amsoil, good to 25k miles per change)... and a wagon with just under 200,000 miles when I got rid of it, also 1/yr changes.

The 2IS has a vastly more modern engine than either that is much easier on oil...so why in the world would I waste money changing it more often?

You are pouring money down the drain. You're changing your oil far too often for no benefit whatsoever.

Again, show me any IS, ever that had a failure related to long oil changes.

You can't.

For that matter, Amsoil will pay to replace your engine if it ever fails running an OCI with their product.

Know how often they've had to pay that out in 30+ years in business?

Never.

because frequent oil changes are for suckers.

the only people who benefit from em are the people selling you the oil. Your car sure doesn't.

Oh... and the factory interval with synthetic is 10,000 miles, not 5k.

Check the manual on a 2011 sometime (which comes with syn from the factory).

So even the folks who built the car say you're wrong.
Old 09-01-11, 12:35 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes, I even do it at 3.5k, filter at 5k. Mobil synthetic 1. CA driver.
Originally Posted by HAiS250
They are trying to save a buck or two... but it IS a Lexus
Do you have any proof that it's better for the motor, or that synthetic breaks down after 5K miles? Some kind of normal distribution curve of oil life? Why do some BMW/VW motors have such a high OCI?

I'm not saying fresh oil is a bad thing. I'm just trying to sift through the hearsay and scientific studies.
Old 09-01-11, 12:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Senator
Do you have any proof that it's better for the motor, or that synthetic breaks down after 5K miles? Some kind of normal distribution curve of oil life? Why do some BMW/VW motors have such a high OCI?

I'm not saying fresh oil is a bad thing. I'm just trying to sift through the hearsay and scientific studies.

The only way to really know is to get your oil analyzed by a lab like Blackstone.
I go with synthetic and do around 8K miles or one year changes.

Quick Reply: I wanna do my own oil change ...Best oil etc..