IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bounced off from rev limiter...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 08:30 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- will lower the top gear that the car is allowed to be in, the + will increase the top gear. Depending on the current gear and speed it may or may not "force" the car to shift.
Old 09-02-11, 08:36 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car is fine - it was just protecting you from yourself.
Old 09-02-11, 09:49 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll live
Old 09-02-11, 10:49 AM
diablo1714
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use the paddles to downshift when coming down a hill etc. At the bottom, when I then step on the accelerator I simultaneously hold the "+" paddle for a few secs & that automatically removes the gear limiter ( ie puts that setting back to 6th). So you don't have to click the "+" multiple times, just hold it to accomplish the same thing.

If you're not sure where the yellow dipstick is in a virtually black engine bay, then maybe the paddles should be something you learn later
Old 09-02-11, 01:25 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I don't think it did actually... Edmunds mentions there's no "true M mode" on the new GS at any rate... if anyone has clarified this further since please let us know, as I was greatly disappointed when I read that.
Interesting. I explicitly posed the question on the GS forums and everyone told me that a true paddle shifting system had been implemented.

Based on insideline's description, it actually appears as though the system in the 2013 GS is different from that in the current generation IS (our cars certainly don't "rev match" in maximum gear limiter mode) but is not the same system implemented in the ISF -

My only real dynamic gripe about the 2013 Lexus GS 350 is with its transmission. Although it matches revs very well when you manually ask for a downshift, it only matches revs if the shifter is over in the M position. Otherwise the paddle shifters are still active but the rev-matching is not.

The transmission also insists on upshifting at redline, even when the M position is selected. In other words, Lexus never lets you touch the V6's rev limiter. This is a problem in the mountains. More than once it upshifted to 3rd gear a split-second before I jumped on the brakes and entered a corner. Not good.
Based on insideline's description, I can't tell if it's still a a maximum gear limiter system (and perhaps the drivers at insideline were simply fooled into thinking otherwise) or if it's a true gear selecting system.

Even if it is a true gear selecting system, the fact that the car automatically up shifts at redline is still disappointing.
Old 09-02-11, 03:05 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by syzygy
Sorry to burst your bubble but you're using the paddles in entirely the wrong way. They aren't shifters at all.

The IS350, for all intents and purposes, is a fully automatic transmission car.

The only time the paddles (which are maximum gear limiters - not gear selectors) are potentially useful is for roll racing. If you want to race from a 40 MPH roll, you want to slow to 40 MPH, set your car to S2, accelerate when the race starts, and then immediately (while you have the accelerator down) press the + paddle 4 times in succession as quickly as possible or shift the lever from "S" mode to "D" mode. Either method works.

It doesn't matter when you press the "+" paddle while going WOT. You can never be too early, but you can be too late. Therefore, it makes no sense to wait. The only reason people wait to press the "+" paddle while going WOT is that it gives them the illusion that they have some control over shifting, when in reality they have no control at all. The automatic transmission decides when the car shifts taking into account maximum gear limiting constraints you may place on the transmission via S mode.
Originally Posted by syzygy
The ISF, however, does have a true paddle shifting system in sport "M" mode.

It also has the same, useless "maximum gear limiter" S mode system that the IS350 has, but nobody on the ISF forum uses it.

As far as I recall, the new 2013 4th generation GS has implemented the true paddle shifting system that is present in the current ISF, so that may bode well for the 3rd generation IS.
Couldn't have said it better.