IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS350 with 122k miles for $12k yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 08:23 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you jumped on such a great deal! Looks hella clean, great mod list to start it off.
Old 09-22-11, 09:34 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

For any rock chips that might come from having a Lexus with high miles, you should look into Dr Colorchip. I used it on my IS300 black onyx and I use it now on my white IS350. Works MAGIC!

Here you go:
3R1 - Matador Red Tricoat
Dr. ColorChip link

Only buy the $49 kit, you don't need anything more than that as you will NEVER use all the paint that they supply. Also store the paint kit in the house and not in the garage as the temperature will take a toll on the condition of the unused paint.

Awesome car!
Old 09-22-11, 10:37 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Glad you jumped on such a great deal! Looks hella clean, great mod list to start it off.
Thanks man!
Old 09-22-11, 10:37 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default Right on!

Originally Posted by dackp143
For any rock chips that might come from having a Lexus with high miles, you should look into Dr Colorchip. I used it on my IS300 black onyx and I use it now on my white IS350. Works MAGIC!

Here you go:
3R1 - Matador Red Tricoat
Dr. ColorChip link

Only buy the $49 kit, you don't need anything more than that as you will NEVER use all the paint that they supply. Also store the paint kit in the house and not in the garage as the temperature will take a toll on the condition of the unused paint.

Awesome car!
Thanks for the info! Good look out!
Old 01-10-12, 02:21 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default Updated pics

Drill slotted rotors
Ceramic Breaks
Painted Calipers black 1k high temp paint
Hotchkins drop
35% tint
AVS Visors
OEM Thing rear and boot spoilers
F sport shifter
F sport floor mats
Fujita Intake
All bulbs LED
Ebay Exhaust system

Next mods (on hand just waiting for good weather)
F sport lower bar rear
GFX body kit
F Sport pedals
HID fogs
LED day time lights
And of course wheels

Old 01-10-12, 02:37 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Nice price !!! congrats !!!
Old 01-10-12, 04:42 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Does your car have air ride I noticed something on the service from the first ?
Lexus of Lehigh Valley

ELECT/MODULATED AIR SUSPNSN AIRBAG SYSTEM

Dealer Reported

09/01/2010
Old 01-10-12, 05:28 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

At that price you could afford an engine swap if needed. Good deal!
Old 01-11-12, 12:02 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to call all of you up when I want to sell an old beater. I do not get why these Japanese cars hold their value so strongly and people are willing to pay for it. I see Tacomas going through the auction with 60K-75K for like $22-$23K and you can buy it new for $27000. Why would some idiot do this when they can spend $5000 more and have a brand spanking new one. This is a different case, but the ratios seem the same.

The car is well over being half way to its death and the best part of a cars life is new to about 50K miles, so why would you spend so much.

These are good cars to buy new, then you can go rape the **** out of someone selling it used to some sucker willing to over pay.
Old 01-11-12, 12:12 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car. You got a smoking deal. Look great.
Old 01-11-12, 03:35 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I am going to call all of you up when I want to sell an old beater. I do not get why these Japanese cars hold their value so strongly and people are willing to pay for it. I see Tacomas going through the auction with 60K-75K for like $22-$23K and you can buy it new for $27000. Why would some idiot do this when they can spend $5000 more and have a brand spanking new one. This is a different case, but the ratios seem the same.

The car is well over being half way to its death and the best part of a cars life is new to about 50K miles, so why would you spend so much.

These are good cars to buy new, then you can go rape the **** out of someone selling it used to some sucker willing to over pay.
tell em why you're disgruntled
Old 01-11-12, 05:20 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default Air suspension

Originally Posted by jgr7
Does your car have air ride I noticed something on the service from the first ?
Lexus of Lehigh Valley

ELECT/MODULATED AIR SUSPNSN AIRBAG SYSTEM

Dealer Reported

09/01/2010
I have no clue...........how can I tell for sure? Is there is such thing OEM?
Old 01-11-12, 08:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS

First off, these cars are known to continue running strong up to and past 250k miles. So this car isn't necessarily "well over halfway to its death".

Second, I agree with you in the Tacoma example it would be silly to pay $23k for a 75k mile Tacoma, especially when a 2012 brand new base model is only $19.6k. However, it's clear that:

1) You're exaggerating, because a top-model double-cab V6 brand new 2012 is $26k, so no one (especially at an auction, where it's typically dealers who buy cars to resell at a mark-up) would buy a 75k mile one for only $3k less. The 2012 Tacoma's 60-month projected resale value is 50% which is very good for a 5 year old car, but puts a 75k mile top-of-the-line model reselling at $13-14k.

2) This is a much different example than yours. This person isn't paying $3k less than new. He's buying a $40k+ car for $12k. That's not the same as buying a $26k car for $23k. It's a much bigger discount here. So in this situation, this "idiot" couldn't spend $5k more and get a new one - he'd have to spend $30k more.

Third, no it's not a good idea to buy this new just to sell it. Cars are in general a terrible investment because they depreciate. You know during what period cars depreciate the most? The first few years, the time you call "the best part of a car's life". The only thing "best" about this period in a car's life is that it's under factory warranty (which you pay for, it's factored into the purchase price). I've owned and driven many different Lexus models and many different mileages - a Lexus at 70k runs almost identically to one at 5k. If this weren't the case, demand wouldn't be so strong for used examples.

These and other Japanese cars hold their value well because there's demand in the market for used examples, because they're reliable and last a long time. Prices are only supported by demand, and this demand will only exist if large numbers of people routinely seek out Japanese cars in the used market. If everyone was having bad experiences with used Japanese cars, the demand wouldn't be there and prices would fall.
Old 01-11-12, 08:36 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
First off, these cars are known to continue running strong up to and past 250k miles. So this car isn't necessarily "well over halfway to its death".

Second, I agree with you in the Tacoma example it would be silly to pay $23k for a 75k mile Tacoma, especially when a 2012 brand new base model is only $19.6k. However, it's clear that:

1) You're exaggerating, because a top-model double-cab V6 brand new 2012 is $26k, so no one (especially at an auction, where it's typically dealers who buy cars to resell at a mark-up) would buy a 75k mile one for only $3k less. The 2012 Tacoma's 60-month projected resale value is 50% which is very good for a 5 year old car, but puts a 75k mile top-of-the-line model reselling at $13-14k.

2) This is a much different example than yours. This person isn't paying $3k less than new. He's buying a $40k+ car for $12k. That's not the same as buying a $26k car for $23k. It's a much bigger discount here. So in this situation, this "idiot" couldn't spend $5k more and get a new one - he'd have to spend $30k more.

Third, no it's not a good idea to buy this new just to sell it. Cars are in general a terrible investment because they depreciate. You know during what period cars depreciate the most? The first few years, the time you call "the best part of a car's life". The only thing "best" about this period in a car's life is that it's under factory warranty (which you pay for, it's factored into the purchase price). I've owned and driven many different Lexus models and many different mileages - a Lexus at 70k runs almost identically to one at 5k. If this weren't the case, demand wouldn't be so strong for used examples.

These and other Japanese cars hold their value well because there's demand in the market for used examples, because they're reliable and last a long time. Prices are only supported by demand, and this demand will only exist if large numbers of people routinely seek out Japanese cars in the used market. If everyone was having bad experiences with used Japanese cars, the demand wouldn't be there and prices would fall.
BAM!!

/dan lebatard
Old 01-11-12, 05:43 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good keep it up

Quick Reply: 06 IS350 with 122k miles for $12k yes or no?