IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will Lexus give me 2 new wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 05:32 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Will Lexus give me 2 new wheels???

I purchased a 08 IS350 about 3 weeks ago. Its got 39000 miles on it and is in GREAT condition, besides for the front wheels. It's got the 18" almost graphite colored wheels on it, but the fronts are in bad shape from brake dust, otherwise FLAWLESS. From far away you can't really tell, but up close they look darker than the rear wheels. They are look like the dust "ate" the clear off of them and they are not "smooth" like the rear wheels. It's like there is dust impaled into the wheels that I can't clean off. This wouldn't bother me if I were in the market for aftermarket wheels, but I dont have plans for any at this time.

That being said, I looked up the service history. Site says that in Dec 2010 @ 34000 miles the front pads and rotors were replaced due to wear. I'm guessing these were replaced with the TSB bulletin replacement "low dust" pads??

One the same note, the brake dust is still HORRIBLE!!!! I wash the car, drive it 10 miles, and the front wheels are already dirty. Rear's still clean.

That brings me to my questions. Do you think Lexus will replace the front wheels due to damage from recalled brake pads?? Is there a cleaner I can use to bring the front wheels back to life?? Also, what should I do about this brake dust problem?? Will they replace the pads AGAIN?? It's extremely irritating. I've NEVER had a car that gave off this much dust.

Wanted to get some opinions before I go to Lexus and make a idiot of myself. Has anyone else had this problem?? I appreciate the help.
Old 09-05-11, 05:52 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

....no....
Old 09-05-11, 06:02 PM
HIDness
Driver

Your car is still under the basic 4yr or 50,000 miles warranty. Lexus will replace it for free. In Late April of this year, I purchased a LEXUS CERTIFIED 07 IS350 with 42,xxx miles and I have the same problem with the brake dust.

I went back to the same dealer where I purchased the car from 2 month later and I told them about the TSB bulletin replacement low dust pads. And they said my car is out of the basic 4yr or 50k miles or whichever occur first. The service writer said if my car was still under the basic warranty, they would happily replace it for free. So I was out of luck on that.

In your case, your car is still under the BASIC warranty but not long. Depend on what date your car was in for the first service. Get it done asap. For the wheel, you are on your own. Is not cover under any warranty.
Old 09-05-11, 06:15 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Don't hurt to ask about the pads though. If not it's not expensive to do
Old 09-05-11, 06:17 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

He trying to replace a wheel not the pad. On that case no replacement. Cheaper to just replace the pads yourself for I think $50.
Old 09-05-11, 06:49 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by YoNadz
I purchased a 08 IS350 about 3 weeks ago. Its got 39000 miles on it and is in GREAT condition, besides for the front wheels. It's got the 18" almost graphite colored wheels on it, but the fronts are in bad shape from brake dust, otherwise FLAWLESS. From far away you can't really tell, but up close they look darker than the rear wheels. They are look like the dust "ate" the clear off of them and they are not "smooth" like the rear wheels. It's like there is dust impaled into the wheels that I can't clean off. This wouldn't bother me if I were in the market for aftermarket wheels, but I dont have plans for any at this time.

That being said, I looked up the service history. Site says that in Dec 2010 @ 34000 miles the front pads and rotors were replaced due to wear. I'm guessing these were replaced with the TSB bulletin replacement "low dust" pads??

One the same note, the brake dust is still HORRIBLE!!!! I wash the car, drive it 10 miles, and the front wheels are already dirty. Rear's still clean.
Then no, they were not replaced with the low-dust pads.

If they were you wouldn't have all that dust after 10 miles. Or 100. Or 1000 honestly, it's a massive improvement over the original pads.

That brings me to my questions. Do you think Lexus will replace the front wheels due to damage from recalled brake pads??
Since the pads were never recalled, I'm going with no.

The low-dust pads were offered, free, to owners who complained about the excessive dust... it was not a recall, and only done if the owner asked for it.

Also, what should I do about this brake dust problem?? Will they replace the pads AGAIN?? It's extremely irritating. I've NEVER had a car that gave off this much dust.
You can certainly try and get the TSIB (not recall) done since it's still within the original warranty period.

They're not going to replace the wheels unless there's something defective about them. "covered in dust from the pads' is not a defect.
Old 09-05-11, 07:09 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Thanks for the input. I will run by Lexus on the way home and see about getting the pads replaced. The car is still under warranty until April 2012. Thanks again!
Old 09-05-11, 07:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The braking power will feel more linear with the dustless brakes which is a plus for me. For my cars when it had the stock pads, I would not realy like how the high friction brakes felt like because of the dust and it felt like the car's brakes had more of a module feeling which made it feel harder for me to control.
Old 09-06-11, 12:33 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
The braking power will feel more linear with the dustless brakes which is a plus for me. For my cars when it had the stock pads, I would not realy like how the high friction brakes felt like because of the dust and it felt like the car's brakes had more of a module feeling which made it feel harder for me to control.
+1. With the original pads my passenger's would constantly complain about my "slamming" on the brakes. The revised pads are a must-have.
Old 09-06-11, 01:29 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its very hard to get a car company to replace wheels under warranty...

You sure you don't want aftermarket wheels
Old 09-06-11, 01:34 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 2 of my wheels replaced because of bubbling paint around the center cap.

take a close look at yours, if you have a few small bubbles, you could probably score a new rim.
Old 09-06-11, 02:45 PM
budhayes3
Driver School Candidate

Your front wheels where repainted to fix curb damage before selling. the wheel repair guys dont have a matching color so they painted the whole wheel instead of touch up. Thats why its a rough finish. Brake dust would make it paint flake
Old 09-06-11, 02:54 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

update. took it in today and got the new pads. MUCH BETTER, and NO DUST! Yippee!