IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help... Car keeps overheating!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 11:37 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kamileon88
water pump water pump and water pump. never seen a thermostate fail.
I have. My DB8’s got ****ed and I had to replace it with OEM ones.
Old 09-07-11, 11:55 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one think that it could be the radiator? might clog?
Old 09-08-11, 11:42 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Though you have "alot" of miles...it is not enough for me to see needing a new radiator, fans, or even hoses. Like what others suggested, I'd personally replace the water pump/thermostat/radiator cap. Very common vehicle items to go bad during normal driving conditions throughout the years. Also, I've read in the owners manual that Lexus uses a special coolant with enzymes or something special...so I'd replace the lost fluid with only OEM pink.

GL, and report back afterwards!
Old 09-08-11, 11:51 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
Though you have "alot" of miles...it is not enough for me to see needing a new radiator, fans, or even hoses. Like what others suggested, I'd personally replace the water pump/thermostat/radiator cap. Very common vehicle items to go bad during normal driving conditions throughout the years. Also, I've read in the owners manual that Lexus uses a special coolant with enzymes or something special...so I'd replace the lost fluid with only OEM pink.

GL, and report back afterwards!
+1.

Except replace in opposite order since it's the cheapest.
Cap-Tstat-Pump

Why pay $$$ if it's fixed by $?
Old 09-08-11, 12:15 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
No one think that it could be the radiator? might clog?
^^ that is also a possibility. but im thinking its the heads.
Old 09-08-11, 01:20 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikg35
^^ that is also a possibility. but im thinking its the heads.
I highly doubt its the head or head gasket especially since he has not mentioned any lack of performance from the engine.

OP: Look under your oil cap and your oil dipstick for signs of a milkshake like substance. If you do than you probably have a blown head gasket.
Old 09-08-11, 03:54 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B16da9
I highly doubt its the head or head gasket especially since he has not mentioned any lack of performance from the engine.

OP: Look under your oil cap and your oil dipstick for signs of a milkshake like substance. If you do than you probably have a blown head gasket.

Thanks sir. I did that and no milky white in oil. I'm just gonna replace those three. Pump therm and cap. I will def let you guys know the outcome of this. And yes no loss of power still pulls.
Old 09-13-11, 12:56 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

UPDATE!!!!! Ok so I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and cap. Ran the car for 25-40 minutes with AC on sittin still at high noon and..........No more problems. So if you guys see pink fluid around the front of your engine it's the water pump. I just decided to change all three since it was in regards to problem anyways. Thanks for all that put their inputs in.
Old 09-14-11, 05:19 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by RobJo350
UPDATE!!!!! Ok so I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and cap. Ran the car for 25-40 minutes with AC on sittin still at high noon and..........No more problems. So if you guys see pink fluid around the front of your engine it's the water pump. I just decided to change all three since it was in regards to problem anyways. Thanks for all that put their inputs in.
The ideal way is to run the car with the heater on to bleed the system. However since these cars the automatic climate feature I don't think it's much of an issue as the system utilizes the heather and a/c to maintain the temperature at your set point.
Old 09-14-11, 08:42 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B16da9
The ideal way is to run the car with the heater on to bleed the system. However since these cars the automatic climate feature I don't think it's much of an issue as the system utilizes the heather and a/c to maintain the temperature at your set point.
Old 09-14-11, 09:23 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by RobJo350
The heater in your car works by taking the hot coolant to warm up a heater core in your dash. In older car this in controlled by a manual valve (remember the numb with the red/blue dial on it) when you move that it opens the valve letting warm water.

So to properly bleed the cooling system in those type of cars it's recommended you turn the heater on to full so the coolant circulates the entire system and making sure there are no trapped air bubbles
Old 09-14-11, 07:12 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

The way I purge the cooling system in my Civic is park the front/engine bay on an incline, start up the car, put down a drop pan to catch coolant/water, and remove the radiator cap. I set the HVAC controls 3/4ths full on the heat. Wait till the car warms up and the fans will kick on, you should see the coolant level drop. Add more coolant. In between the fan kicking in you'll see bubbles. After the fan kicks on for the third time, top off the coolant, and cap it.

Bam, bled cooling system.
Old 06-20-16, 05:42 PM
Jkuutys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ended up happening?? I'm fighting the same issue. Temp will slowly climb, once it gets in red. It drops to normal temp. I replaced my thermo, since it WAS bad. Ever since I could t keep anything in my reserve. Instantly kicks out everything, I'm assuming due to back pressure. It didn't over heat for a solid week. Now I'm overheating. 😡😡
Old 06-20-16, 10:33 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RobzKar
You replace water pump yourself? I wonder how much for labors at the shop.
Old 06-21-16, 01:10 AM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
You replace water pump yourself? I wonder how much for labors at the shop.
It gets quite expensive I've heard anywhere from $500 to $1000 for labor depending on the shop

Quick Reply: Help... Car keeps overheating!!!!!!