IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car got broken into last njght...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 07:53 AM
Second2Non
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car got broken into last njght...

hey guys first time posting...hope all is well. Like the title says last night apparently someone without a life someone got into my car though my passenger door, I don't see signs of forced entry so maybe I forgot to lock. He/she Opened all the compartments and took a few bucks I keep for emergency. Now the main problem is that there was heavy rain last night and my visitor left my door semi open and my passenger side seat/door (speakers are completely SOAKED...should I file claim with insurance or just let it dry out and hope for the best...btw I'm in NYC if your curious.
Old 09-08-11, 08:25 AM
Khandfw
Driver

that ************ POS... sorry to hear that. I'd open the panel up dry the best I can (hair dryer) and see if everything still works.

Insurance company might put something on the title/ history that hurts your resale
Old 09-08-11, 08:28 AM
JDMmanny
Rookie

wow been their and it sucks.... just try to dry it up pretty good and put conditioner on the leather
Old 09-08-11, 08:38 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Damn bastards... I swear if I ever get my hands on somebody doing that to my car I......... woosahh.... yeah my cars have been broken into, wheels have been stolen too. Luckily they broke into my 08 back a few years back the same way, no forced entry or anything, guess I left my doors unlocked too and that was all they did to the Lexus. Back then I had a scion Tc also with nice wheels and one morning found it on four friggin' bricks. Needless to say I moved from that stupid neighborhood, bought my house in a good place with a nice garage and thank god I've never had any more problems.

As for insurance, unless you don't have a deductible, get a police report done but don't put a claim on insurance, at least not yet. Try and get it dried and let it air out as long as possible, don't use the sound system until you are sure everything is completely dry. If all that fail then go with insurance. My old car got wet like that once but it wasn't soaked too bad and I just let it dry, used a blow dryer a bit on the rug and door and that was it, everything was good.
Old 09-08-11, 08:49 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear, probably would put a hair dryer or heater and let it blow for a while on your door panel etc.

Don't worry there is a truth to a little thing called Karma, it all comes back around.
Old 09-08-11, 09:27 AM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Well, lets lock the doors...
Old 09-08-11, 09:40 AM
Iceman5210
Pole Position

Dont claim insurance ,let it dry or use a blower to dry it a bit and see if it works , if not then you can replace the speakers Im pretty sure isbgoing to be cheaper than deductible and no record of it . G luck
Old 09-08-11, 10:01 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Happened to me too a couple times now, but thankfully not with my IS. Someone broke into my old car by breaking the window and went through all the compartments in my car too...taking money, radar detector, expensive watch, etc all things i had hidden in my glove compartment. Some people are just low lifes and need to get hit by an 18 wheeler...lol

I'm sure you'll be making sure your car is always locked now. Leaving it unlocked is just asking for trouble. Get a police report, document what was stolen and the damages done. Let it dry out and see if everything works. If it doesn't, go to your insurance company with the police report and file a claim. But i would get a repair estimate first, depending on your deductible it might be cheaper to have it fixed without insurance.
Old 09-08-11, 10:18 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I REALLY HATE THEIVES

even if the speaker and window control panel is damaged, it might be cheaper to get the parts off CL or sewell and replace them yourself instead of paying your deductable... GL
Old 09-08-11, 10:58 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear this!!!!

But i dont recall our glove compartments having a lock do they??
Old 09-08-11, 11:22 AM
Gville350

Received 436 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Yes, just below the button!

Old 09-08-11, 11:30 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^ Yea, i thought it did. Im going to lock mine form now on. I have some EXPENSIVE glasses in there
Old 09-08-11, 01:00 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Tough break man, mine was broken into about a month ago. Insurance may be the best route if it won't affect your premiums. They caused close to $11,000 worth of damage to my car's interior. It's still in the shop. Insurance is slow and a pain, but you'll get some new parts.

Hate to see this, I feel your pain.
Old 09-08-11, 01:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
sorry to hear this!!!!

If you open the glove compartment, there's also a little button on the bottom left. If you push it, it prevents the trunk from opening with anything but the key built into your remote. Useful when your parking in an unfamiliar/sketchy area. I love this little feature, when my old car got broken into they used the trunk release inside the car to gain access to my trunk. Of course it only works well if you lock the glove compartment after you enable the lock too

Originally Posted by busdepot
Tough break man, mine was broken into about a month ago. Insurance may be the best route if it won't affect your premiums. They caused close to $11,000 worth of damage to my car's interior. It's still in the shop. Insurance is slow and a pain, but you'll get some new parts.

Hate to see this, I feel your pain.

Holy crap. $11,000 in damage to your INTERIOR?

Old 09-08-11, 02:06 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that, good luck with everything.

*locks car door*

Quick Reply: Car got broken into last njght...