IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmisison Oil Flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 06:04 PM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he actually used 13 quarts since i was watching the machine pumped out all the brown fluid till the red fluid came out, he ran it till that extra quart came out.

Originally Posted by ISBU
There are machine to do a trans flush. It uses about 12 qts. of trans oil to do the flush. It is expensive. It probably can flush almost 100% of the fluid. It works like this, you have two tanks. 1 for the old fluid and one for the new fluid. The machine is connected between the oil cooler lines and uses the trans pump to do the work.
Old 09-09-11, 09:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by ISBU
There are machine to do a trans flush. It uses about 12 qts. of trans oil to do the flush. It is expensive. It probably can flush almost 100% of the fluid. It works like this, you have two tanks. 1 for the old fluid and one for the new fluid. The machine is connected between the oil cooler lines and uses the trans pump to do the work.
There are no oil cooler lines on the IS. The only external lines running to/from the automatic transmission on the IS are coolant lines for what Lexus calls the transmission warmer, which has a primary purpose of getting the transmission fluid up to operating temperature as quickly as possible (it also likely serves as a cooler as well, once the fluid is hot).

He may have had something pumping new fluid into the fill port while draining out of the pan. If you did this while running the transmission, it may be possible to get more of it changed, it would still be a hopeful method of trying to get it all though, as you're hoping most of the old fluid will hit the pan and not stay in various places in the transmission.

I'm just speculating on how he perhaps could have pumped fluid into it while running it. It seems to me like letting the transmission run with basically an open leak is probably a bad idea. You'd basically be hoping that there is enough fluid in the pan so the pickup doesn't run dry and cause cavitation in the pump.

Jeff
Old 09-09-11, 10:37 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Here is one of the fluid exchanger or flush on the market that repair shop use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjxmlrbpjTk
Old 09-09-11, 10:42 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

That system would not work on an IS, as it requires external lines to connect to, which like I said, don't exist on the IS.

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 12:23 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm closing in on 5 years and 55K right now, and my transmission shifts as smoothly as I can ever remember it shifting. I certainly don't really notice any problems with it.
Old 09-10-11, 12:26 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
That system would not work on an IS, as it requires external lines to connect to, which like I said, don't exist on the IS.

Jeff
Are you a Lexus Technician?
Old 09-10-11, 12:38 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

No, I work at a Toyota dealership.

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 12:50 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

I guess you can't do the flush with that machine, I just look at the NCF for the IS and it doesn't have an oil cooler, maybe they are using something else.
Old 09-10-11, 02:31 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

I visited my local toyota dealership, since where I live Lexus is hours away. I asked one of the service advisors about the transmission fluid flush on the IS250. He stated that it is recommended @ 100k. And that they have a new fluid flush machine just for the WS tranny fluid, can you verify any of this?

Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 08:17 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

There are really only 2 possible ways I can think of that you could maybe flush the fluid with on a 2IS transmission, one way is the method I described above (pump new fluid into the fill port, and let it drain from the pan, hope for the best, I still think this is not a very good idea), or alternatively, and I think some aftermarket shops use a machine that connects to the pickup in the transmission oil pan. If you removed the pan and somehow connected to a pressure port and the pickup, you could potentially cycle the fluid.

That being said, you would want to have a machine dedicated to Toyota WS fluid to do this (if it can be done), as you should never mix WS with any other fluid.

The only SST we have for working with WS is "00002-11100-02 WS Transmision Fill System" which does not allow for flushing, only for adding the fluid to the transmission for fluid level adjustment on models that do not have a fluid level dipstick.

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 10:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lilscrapy8
he actually used 13 quarts since i was watching the machine pumped out all the brown fluid till the red fluid came out, he ran it till that extra quart came out.
Again, where did they connect it?

As noted it's impossible to use a normal tranny flush machine since there's no external connections to the transmission with transmission fluid in them.

Nobody, including folks who are Lexus technicians on here, have ever shown any way it's possible to get more than the ~20% of the fluid out with a simple drain.

Folks who have posted invoices from Canada after getting the "tranny fluid changed" usually showed ~2 liters of new fluid used, which is about what you'd expect from the ~20% fluid drain.... nowhere near 12-13.
Old 09-10-11, 10:32 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.equipmentsolutions.com/Fo...b978c9df937837

This machine should be able to do it. It's Toyota/Lexus approved and it has adaptors for the IS.
Old 09-10-11, 11:24 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Judging from the information I can decipher from that, it looks to me like they may actually remove the cooler/warmer from the transmission and they've got an adapter that bolts to the transmission at the 2 ports (that normally seal to the cooler with o-rings), and then flushes through those ports.

Sounds reasonable.

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 11:32 AM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

Your right!! one person was on the lift and put my car on "drive" while the other one was at the machine running the flush. They removed the cooler/warmer and attached the adapter to those ports.

Judging from the information I can decipher from that, it looks to me like they may actually remove the cooler/warmer from the transmission and they've got an adapter that bolts to the transmission at the 2 ports (that normally seal to the cooler with o-rings), and then flushes through those ports.

Sounds reasonable.

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 02:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds reasonable.

Jeff

ha! that's the exact method Lobuxracer suggested would work like 3 or 4 years ago in the super-long thread on transmission fluid... but of course the machine didn't exist at the time... someone finally invented it

here's the post from him with the diagram showing the heat exchanger "puck"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3374778-post60.html

and here is the post where he describes the machine you'd need to invent, that someone finally did-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3482248-post71.html

Originally Posted by Lobuxracer
If you absolutely insist on changing the fluid, you could machine a piece using the dimensions of the oil cooler, install it in place of the oil cooler, and do a complete fluid swap with a conventional fluid exchange machine. Some enterprising soul may actually do this at some point

thanks to ISBU for answering a question folks have been asking since at least 07!

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-10-11 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmisison Oil Flush