IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmisison Oil Flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 08:42 PM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmisison Oil Flush

So my Lexus is already 4 years old and has 55K miles and decided, why not Flush out the WS lifetime fluid? I ended up going to Lex Service for this. I was watching the mechanic while they were pumping the old fluid, and damm!! that fluid was the same color as my motor oil when I replace it after 5K, no red color what so ever. It was nice seeing that fresh red fluid being pumped back into the tranny!! Once I got the car back, I just loved how smoothly the tranny shifted!!!! I know there are a lot of you guys will say it's a lifetime fluid, its a waste of money. So be it, I had the time and money to do it and was my choice. A choice well spent on it!! I just wanted to share my experience on how much better the tranny is shifting after the fluid was replaced.
Old 09-08-11, 09:49 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6654640-post14.html

I would be surprised if your car and transmission started performing noticeably better after they replaced only 21.5% of your transmission fluid, but congrats if it is.
Old 09-09-11, 12:45 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Issue here is, if you did manage to change 21.5% of the fluid as Calvin said, 78.5% of it is still bad.

Good fluid + Bad fluid = still Bad fluid lol.
Old 09-09-11, 05:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lilscrapy8
So my Lexus is already 4 years old and has 55K miles and decided, why not Flush out the WS lifetime fluid? I ended up going to Lex Service for this. I was watching the mechanic while they were pumping the old fluid, and damm!! that fluid was the same color as my motor oil when I replace it after 5K, no red color what so ever. It was nice seeing that fresh red fluid being pumped back into the tranny!! Once I got the car back, I just loved how smoothly the tranny shifted!!!! I know there are a lot of you guys will say it's a lifetime fluid, its a waste of money. So be it, I had the time and money to do it and was my choice. A choice well spent on it!! I just wanted to share my experience on how much better the tranny is shifting after the fluid was replaced.
I guess you missed the part in the owners manual where it explicitly states the transmission never requires service and is a sealed unit?

Which makes me very curious where they supposedly hooked this pump to, since the transmission has no external connections.
Old 09-09-11, 09:47 AM
lfa350
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting facts!
Old 09-09-11, 11:08 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how were you able to watch the mechanic? which dealership did you go to? I would love to watch the mechanic work on my car
Old 09-09-11, 12:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
how were you able to watch the mechanic? which dealership did you go to? I would love to watch the mechanic work on my car
You can at dealerships like Longo Lexus. They only have glass separating the waiting area and the service bay. You can see your car getting worked on. Pretty neat
Old 09-09-11, 12:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You can at dealerships like Longo Lexus. They only have glass separating the waiting area and the service bay. You can see your car getting worked on. Pretty neat
If only they let us go on the "road test" with them..
Old 09-09-11, 01:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokyis350
If only they let us go on the "road test" with them..
Oh boy lol. One time i took my car to the dealer, when i picked the car up they had taken it to get gas and when i got in the car, it said tank average was 9 mpg Wonder how fast he/she was driving...lol
Old 09-09-11, 01:11 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

My friend works at a BMW dealership. When he does road test.. it is basically pedal to the metal..

I'm pretty sure Lexus dealership does the same thing. My car was averaging 15MPG when I picked up the car after valve spring recall. There was also an additional 15 miles on the ODO..
Old 09-09-11, 02:21 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lilscrapy8
If you're looking for ways to blow money, I can give you my PayPal account number. It will go to a better cause. Seriously, why would you replace lifetime oil after 55k miles?!? I can maybe understand at 155k but only if the car is shifting extremely rough (which I have yet to hear a single person complain of.) And can you say "placebo effect" on the tranny shifting smoother? Honestly, I'm surprised you're not getting blasted more for posting this. Just out of curiosity, how much did they charge you?
Old 09-09-11, 03:28 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

There are machine to do a trans flush. It uses about 12 qts. of trans oil to do the flush. It is expensive. It probably can flush almost 100% of the fluid. It works like this, you have two tanks. 1 for the old fluid and one for the new fluid. The machine is connected between the oil cooler lines and uses the trans pump to do the work.
Old 09-09-11, 05:17 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by ISBU
There are machine to do a trans flush. It uses about 12 qts. of trans oil to do the flush. It is expensive. It probably can flush almost 100% of the fluid. It works like this, you have two tanks. 1 for the old fluid and one for the new fluid. The machine is connected between the oil cooler lines and uses the trans pump to do the work.
I'll refer you to the link I posted in post #2 above..
Old 09-09-11, 05:28 PM
Lexs350
Driver

Hog Wash.....I don't care what they say about the Tranny Fluid never needs to be replaced. I'm planning to replace mine also. I rather have the peace of mind.
Old 09-09-11, 05:56 PM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

This is the drain and refill method..
Originally Posted by calvin2376
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6654640-post14.html

I would be surprised if your car and transmission started performing noticeably better after they replaced only 21.5% of your transmission fluid, but congrats if it is.

Quick Reply: Transmisison Oil Flush