IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11 | 10:16 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
I thought about using a blade but slightly nervous to do so as I don't want to chip more off the bumper. Did you use like a sheetrock knife blade or an xacto-knife blade? Sorry to hear you had the same issue but happy to hear I'm not the only one who experienced this dealership shafting.

Iceman, can you post some pic's of your front end?
This is how to do it.

Use a razor blade or exacto knife. I've done it on previous cars.
Old 09-11-11 | 10:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Man, I'm just happy if my dealer doesn't scratch or ding my car. When I read this post title, I thought for sure that's what it was going to be about.

I wouldn't be so down on your dealer. They are doing what they do to all their cars, and what they've done for years. It's standard CA practice. If you have unique needs (compared to the average buyer), it has to be discussed before the car makes it off the truck.
Old 09-11-11 | 10:01 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
So I recently purchased a 2011 IS. I was hoping since I bought new and from a fresh shipment, the dealership wouldn't have drilled on a front plate... WRONG.

My plan was to either buy or make some plugs as I've seen in multiple threads but I took off my front plate last night to see this horrible drilling bulge. Has anyone else had such unfortunate luck...? What did you do to fix it? What CAN I do to fix this mess?

At the moment, I don't think I can or will want to put bumper plugs on top of these mountains! I'm thinking about wasting my money on a front mini-plate from Sewell if there is not a simple way to make my bumper flat & beautiful again

PIC's of my bumper raped by the dealership...

Front View, up-close, and top view pic's. Not the best - taken with my phone.
I had the same thing, I just trimmed down the volcanoes with an exacto knife or razor as previous post stated and then installed bumper plug from aerotect.

Old 09-11-11 | 10:37 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Is this how the name "PHONYisf" became? You got mad at the fact that the dealier drilled your bumper?
Old 09-12-11 | 10:28 AM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by indyberett
Looks like someone pulled the plate off instead of unscrewing it. I have never seen one pull the material out like that. I would just take a hammer with a soft cloth on top of it and hit it lightly to push it back flat.
That was my thought exactly. I've never seen a drilled bumper look so bad! I think when they pulled the drill back out, it might have raised it, and it appears they added somekind of glue or material around the drilled hole and painted it.... therefore the "mountains" on my bumper.

I thought I would get a mini-plate from Sewell but I LOVE the way the car looks without a plate and I've recently seen other new IS's around my area with NO FRONT PLATE. Which makes me sooo bitter I have this bumper with over-grown holes. Bad enough I was in the market to buy bumper plugs but knowing I can't get those at the moment is even more disappointing.
Old 09-12-11 | 10:32 AM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hihi410
I had the same thing, I just trimmed down the volcanoes with an exacto knife or razor as previous post stated and then installed bumper plug from aerotect.
Looks like I might have to do the same. My only issue now is that IF I do get stopped by a cop, they'll know I once had a plate. From personal experience, I've noticed them being more lenient about it if the bumper was never drilled. I really need to do work next weekend on this. Looks like I'll have a nice little task this Sunday. Kind of nervous to cut those off tho
Old 09-12-11 | 01:47 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

It's just the self tapping screws they used. That's why it was raised
Old 09-12-11 | 01:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

heres how i feel on front lic plate vs no lic plate:

How illegal will your modifications go? how much total fines can you accumulate and will not having a front plate cause you to be pulled over? Answer those questions and you'll have your answer~

I run a front plate since tint fines here are INSANE, 272 per window, this INCLUDES the rear quarter windows too
Old 09-12-11 | 05:10 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

I'm not going too crazy with mods at all... mainly aesthetics. I have 30% window tint all around, and custom tinted tails. Plan on doing some mild suspension mods like sway bars, F-sport Intake, and also adding a roof spoiler... possibly some wheels spacers. Thats about it.

Don't think I'll be getting pulled over all that much to be honest. My town has barely any cops due to budget cuts, and if I go into SF, the cops their don't really care about a front plate. My second car is a Mazdaspeed protege, with 20% tint, no plate, mild engine mods, and a super loud HKS BOV. Been pulled over once in 4 1/2 years. Cop thought I was chirping tires when my BOV went off. Released me with no warning and a confused look on his face "Ohh, mazdaspeed with stock turbo and BOV, ahh I see. Have a good day". I might of been lucky but I don't drive like a dum-a$$.
Old 09-12-11 | 11:33 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

On my last IS...the bumper was drilled before I took delivery and I was pissed. You're right...it is so much cleaner without the plate and looks "ok" with the bumper plugs...but still not perfect. If I were you, I'd fight for a new front bumper. Although, they may say you needed to make that call when you took delivery. In my opinion, dealers in CA shouldn't be drilling any holes in cars unless the customers signs off on it. If I decide not to put the plate on or to get tinting on my front windows that is my decision and my ticket to get and pay for. When I got my Aerotect plugs for my starfire pearl IS and also for the matador red one, I had to drill out the holes a little for the plugs to fit perfectly and this got rid of those ugly *** humps they leave. Problem is Lexus doesn't drill the holes with a drill, they just stick the screws in and go through by hand...not cool. I know back when the VW R32's came out...VW gave owners a chance to get a "virgin" bumper for their cars because license plate mounts came standard on them from the factory and so many people complained. They offered this for free of course...very cool for a company to give you the choice. Keep us posted!

Last edited by DexRox512; 09-12-11 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-13-11 | 12:24 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^

Unfornately that is not the case where states/province which require the front plate. The cars do not come with front bracket on them from Japan. It is only once when it arrives on the dealership lot, they would put the bracket on as procedure if required. They will put it there for them not to be liable in a case where an owner gets pulled over, and try to mention that the dealership did not provide a place (bracket) for the front license. There are some dealerships which may require to sign a wavier that they will not be responsible if one gets pulled over for no front plate assuming the car does not have a bracket and requested not to.

The most likely method to guarantee for it not to have the bracket to let them know before the car arrives on their lot.

In WA, I have seen rare occasions where I seen new car on their lot have no front plate, but later on (several days past) the same car eventually gets the bracket when it should of been done on arrival. Also very rare for a new car to not have a front plate and never put on at all as well.

Last edited by Sango; 09-13-11 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-13-11 | 10:29 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Mine didn't have front plates when I bought mine... it does have the front plate mount in my trunk. I decided to install them because I have the worse luck when it comes to police. I think I may even get pulled over for just scratching my @ss and the police would think I was texting.

The bumper effect you see is called physics. "No two matter can occupy the same space at the same time". The dealer should have drilled small hole in first then screw the plate mount next. By directly screwing it into the bumper, you force out the bumper material creating a mound. Dealer was in a rush to mount as many plates as possible.

I drilled my bumper with the smallest bit then work up to a larger bit. Then finally screw in my front plate mount. I removed it for the hell of it and it's smooth as baby silk. I can easily apply caulk and touch up to fill it if I want to.

I would let the body work to the pro since it requires so sanding and filling in your case to level the bumper.