IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 02:00 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe

So I recently purchased a 2011 IS. I was hoping since I bought new and from a fresh shipment, the dealership wouldn't have drilled on a front plate... WRONG.

My plan was to either buy or make some plugs as I've seen in multiple threads but I took off my front plate last night to see this horrible drilling bulge. Has anyone else had such unfortunate luck...? What did you do to fix it? What CAN I do to fix this mess?

At the moment, I don't think I can or will want to put bumper plugs on top of these mountains! I'm thinking about wasting my money on a front mini-plate from Sewell if there is not a simple way to make my bumper flat & beautiful again

PIC's of my bumper raped by the dealership...

Front View, up-close, and top view pic's. Not the best - taken with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe-bumper_front-view.jpeg   Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe-bumper_up-close.jpeg   Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe-bumper_top-view.jpeg  
Old 09-09-11, 02:02 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Better safe than sorry... I just got a fix it ticket or fork up 150 bucks to keep no front plates with no future immunity... In CA its unlawful to have no front plates, so just keep them on. The only time you will get away from being exempt from running no front plate is if DMV only issued you ONE plate.
Old 09-09-11, 02:17 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Car looks better without a plate and my previous car had no front plate when I purchased it. Got pulled over once in 4 1/2 years.... worth it to me to take the risk I guess. I just found it odd when I was in San Diego recently that almost every IS i saw had no front plate and no signs of their bumper even being drilled... both new and old IS's.

Guess I might have to play it "safe" and keep the plate on. But definitely going buy that mini-plate. Makes it look slightly more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 09-09-11, 02:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

sorry to see that happen =\

where can you buy mini plates?
Old 09-09-11, 02:52 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd rather run dealer plate. I did this for 2 years on previous ML and never had problem. If you must go no plate then repaint will be way to go.
Old 09-09-11, 02:53 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealership will drill holes once the new vehicles come on the lot technically. The time when they do after the car arrives on the lot may not be immediate, so if you were to get a new car, you need to tell them quick enough so if the case there is a car on the lot without a plate they will not drill it.

Front plates, keep it, no fix it tickets. I know in BC, Canada this is enforced. Even Canada customs asked me about the front plate (well I had a temp paper plate at the time).
Old 09-09-11, 03:06 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
sorry to see that happen =\

where can you buy mini plates?
Sewell Lexus has mini-plates: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2011/1934.html

I've seen them on a car in a thread before, looks a lot better than the lower hanging stock license plate.

So bitter I can't I have a nice smooth bumper. Was already butt hurt that I had to possibly buy bumper plugs, now those are out of the question.

So I guess the consensus is to take it to a body shop or leave it alone? faaak
Old 09-09-11, 04:28 PM
Iceman5210
Pole Position

use a blade to cut the bump and meke it look flat, then get bumper plugs and paint them with touch up paint 6 layers or so then aply. thats what i had to do mine looked just like yours
Old 09-09-11, 05:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh boy. That's exactly why when i bought my car i told the dealership if they dared to drills the hole in the bumper i would be walking out on the deal . They need to start making front license plate holders from the factory that are drilled into spots you cant easily see like that. I don't know why they don't use brackets like the aftermarket ones that drill into areas you can't see easily when removed. My uncle raised hell at the Toyota dealership when they drilled holes in his front bumper despite him telling them not to do it when taking delivery. They gave him free bumper plugs. still looks odd tho.
Old 09-09-11, 08:15 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Iceman5210
use a blade to cut the bump and meke it look flat, then get bumper plugs and paint them with touch up paint 6 layers or so then aply. thats what i had to do mine looked just like yours
I thought about using a blade but slightly nervous to do so as I don't want to chip more off the bumper. Did you use like a sheetrock knife blade or an xacto-knife blade? Sorry to hear you had the same issue but happy to hear I'm not the only one who experienced this dealership shafting.

Iceman, can you post some pic's of your front end?
Old 09-09-11, 08:24 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

That's just by them pulling out while drilling the hole, nothing a rat-tail file can't fix. Its a file that is round and trppered. Good luck.
Old 09-10-11, 12:11 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Glad we don't have front plates!

Maybe you can ask the dealer to swap bumpers when a new white IS comes in, before they put the front plate holder on?

Jeff
Old 09-10-11, 07:59 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

I would have made them replace the bumper... front plates are so gay whats the point anyway??? glad we dont have that crap here!!!
Old 09-11-11, 09:02 AM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

I think I will be contacting the dealer today. I only have 1000 miles on the car. I'm even more bitter now that I've seen other new & old IS 250's with NO FRONT PLATE driving around my town. I notice them left & right now. I love the dealership I went to but feel like I really got *****ed on this deal. The front end looks SOOOO CLEAN without it. I'm so irritated I might even drive to the dealership instead of calling. I feel like I went to the only dealership in the bay area that drills bumpers! Only problem is, I doubt they'll change it out since I have an F-sport and there is kind of a "shortage" on those as is. FML... I buy the car I've always wanted and get shafted in a small way.
Old 09-11-11, 09:37 AM
indyberett
Rookie

Looks like someone pulled the plate off instead of unscrewing it. I have never seen one pull the material out like that. I would just take a hammer with a soft cloth on top of it and hit it lightly to push it back flat.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper/License plate - dealership catastrophe