IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Garage door opener; Cannot get it to work...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 11:08 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've programmed 3 different rolling codes into my homelink now and never had an issue.

1) Make sure you erase all past codes if your car belonged to someone else before

2) With rolling codes, there's a little button (usually on the back) on the motor that you push to program remotes. Usually a green or orange light flashes when you push it that signifies its transmitting so a remote can pick up the signal

3) Park the car IN the garage when doing this as close to the motor as you can. I find it doesn't really work well if the car is parked more than few feet away from where the signal is transmitted.

I've had no problems when doing it this way with rolling codes. I think some garages/cars just act funny sometimes. I couldn't get my uncles 2011 4Runner to accept the rolling codes till like the 9th or 10th try!
Old 09-12-11, 11:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't set mine yet.
Can it be set if the car is in the garage?
Old 02-16-12, 02:48 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
No trick to the rolling code opener. One step that lots of people forget is that you have to teach the car using the actual remote control by first holding the remote control close to the mirror, then holding down the opening button and the designated button on the rearview mirror at the same time. Once that is done, then you sync the car to the overhead unit. I did that with both of my cars without issue. Hope that helps.

I couldn't get it to work until I followed this exact order. Now it's golden. Thanks mangs!
Old 02-16-12, 02:55 PM
Cuztom350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have this problem, I read that there is a different way to program canadian systems, I live in the states and thought this couldnt be me until I looked at my remote, Its a canadian craftsman, So I followed the instructions on how to program the canadian one and still no results, has anyone ever programed a canadian one before?
Old 02-16-12, 06:55 PM
kevhitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I haven't set mine yet.
Can it be set if the car is in the garage?
If you have to use the rolling code method then you'll have to press the "learn" button on the motor itself. As long as you can get up to it with the car in the garage then you'll be fine.
Old 02-16-12, 07:09 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kevhitch
If you have to use the rolling code method then you'll have to press the "learn" button on the motor itself. As long as you can get up to it with the car in the garage then you'll be fine.
I opened the sunroof and stood on the passenger seat (towel covering seat...) to access the main unit on the ceiling in the garage to program mine. Took a few tries but eventually it worked.
Old 02-16-12, 07:12 PM
kevhitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthrax144
I opened the sunroof and stood on the passenger seat (towel covering seat...) to access the main unit on the ceiling in the garage to program mine. Took a few tries but eventually it worked.
Haha whatever it takes. I've had my car for over a year and I just programmed mine tonight.
Old 02-16-12, 07:13 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Programmed mine same as others stated pressing the learner button. Just keep trying, it should work.
Old 02-16-12, 08:39 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

tried it a while ago then both garage door got switched then kept trying for a whole our and gave up
Old 02-17-12, 08:18 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I've programmed 3 different rolling codes into my homelink now and never had an issue.

1) Make sure you erase all past codes if your car belonged to someone else before

2) With rolling codes, there's a little button (usually on the back) on the motor that you push to program remotes. Usually a green or orange light flashes when you push it that signifies its transmitting so a remote can pick up the signal

3) Park the car IN the garage when doing this as close to the motor as you can. I find it doesn't really work well if the car is parked more than few feet away from where the signal is transmitted.

I've had no problems when doing it this way with rolling codes. I think some garages/cars just act funny sometimes. I couldn't get my uncles 2011 4Runner to accept the rolling codes till like the 9th or 10th try!
I have been using these steps for years, and they have worked EVERY time .... until I got this IS! I tried it MANY times unsuccessfully. For the first time ever, I had to first perform the procedure for NON rolling code programming. Only after using the remote button that came with the door opener to do the initial synching (?), did the rolling code procedure (WITHOUT STEP 1) work.

I don't get why the difference! It makes no sense to me that they might have changed the procedure. My wife's 2010 RX works exactly as all the other cars I have "programmed" in the past, but not my 2011 IS! I wonder why this car is different. Interestingly, the dealer knew all about this, and tried to tell me I had to do it the same way in our RX! They're wrong.
Old 02-17-12, 09:28 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I did this awhile back but I believe something is wrong with my homelink. I could only get the middle one to program I tried the first and last one each for about a half hour and neither would take.
Old 02-17-12, 09:46 AM
nahrah
Driver School Candidate

1st attempt didn't work for me, after reading some of the thread here and reading the instruction on the homelink website, I got it to work. One thing that is weird, if I was leaving and have my headlights (factory hid) on, the garage wouldn't close until I turn off the headlights. But when I come back from somewhere at night and pull up on the driveway and hit the homelink button it works normal. Anyone have this similar issue? My garage opener is a Lift Master Pro.
Old 09-14-12, 07:00 AM
secondtime
Driver School Candidate

Ok, if anyone is still out there on this thread, I am open for suggestions. I have a rolling code garage door, but no stand alone remote. I have pushed the learning button, then the homelink button once, then twice. I tried pushing the homelink button for 2 seconds (as in the manual), 5 seconds, 20 seconds. Learning button functions. Made sure it was blinking. Deprogrammed homelink. Tried again. Deprogrammed garage door (outside keypad stopped functioning. Had to reprogram. It works again. ). Tried programming the homelink. Still no luck. What did the Infiniti manual suggest?
Old 09-14-12, 07:03 AM
secondtime
Driver School Candidate

When you pull out, do you back out of your garage? Your headlights are probably interfering with the laser at the bottom of your door that prevents it from closing if something is in the way.
Old 09-14-12, 01:37 PM
Machog
Driver

I got mine done the second attempt.

If you really get stuck, get your Bluetooth out and call the Homelink 800 number. You'll get through in under a couple of minutes and they'll talk you through step by step.

Had an issue on my old 2001 GS300 and some obscure garage door opener, they got me hooked up in 5min after trying dozens of times.

Machog

Quick Reply: Garage door opener; Cannot get it to work...