IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anybody with experience driving pre 2011 & 2011 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:44 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Anybody with experience driving pre 2011 & 2011 models

Does your 2011 seem to have more engine noise in the cabin than your pre 2011? I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong with mine.

The engines in these cars don't make the greatest sound as it is and it is MUCH more noticeable in my 2011 than it was in my 2009. It sounds terrible and everybody that rides in the car notices it.

I guess I am just wondering if Lexus removed some of the sound proofing for 2011 or if my car has an issue.
Old 09-12-11, 08:34 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock IS is quiet like hybrids lol can't say that it's more noisy since I've pretty much had the exhaust on since day 1. I would guess no though
Old 09-12-11, 08:49 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I had an 08 250 and now an 11 350 and they are about the same... It might be a bit more noisy or more like a deeper sound but not something very noticeable, and this is, I'm very sure, because of the engine difference
Old 09-12-11, 09:34 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Did you get F-Sport exhaust on the 2011?
Old 09-13-11, 06:40 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

No I don't have the F Sport exhaust and this isn't a deeper sound, it is a rattling sound almost (kind of how these engines sound that make people think something is wrong with them) It is something I never heard in either of my other IS's and it isn't just when I gun it, it is even noticeable when I let off of the throttle. My husband says it sounds like crap I have to agree. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer because it is also having intermittent problems with the backup camera and the keyless entry (not responding)

I sure hope I didn't get a lemon this time....
Old 09-13-11, 08:17 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
No I don't have the F Sport exhaust and this isn't a deeper sound, it is a rattling sound almost (kind of how these engines sound that make people think something is wrong with them) It is something I never heard in either of my other IS's and it isn't just when I gun it, it is even noticeable when I let off of the throttle. My husband says it sounds like crap I have to agree. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer because it is also having intermittent problems with the backup camera and the keyless entry (not responding)

I feel your pain My 06 and 08 were much quieter in the cabin than my 11. I think mine is more of a wind noise sound though, than an engine noise. My 11 does have a higher idle on a cold start than the previous ones, but I was told it's normal. My keyless entry doesn't always respond either, and my trunk struts are blown. When I open the trunk, it doesn't even pop up enough to get my fingers in-- I usually have to pull the trunk up from the release button =/

Good luck with yours! I hope your problems get fixed- it's such a sweet looking car
Old 09-13-11, 08:54 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IntegresS
I feel your pain My 06 and 08 were much quieter in the cabin than my 11. I think mine is more of a wind noise sound though, than an engine noise. My 11 does have a higher idle on a cold start than the previous ones, but I was told it's normal. My keyless entry doesn't always respond either, and my trunk struts are blown. When I open the trunk, it doesn't even pop up enough to get my fingers in-- I usually have to pull the trunk up from the release button =/

Good luck with yours! I hope your problems get fixed- it's such a sweet looking car
Thanks! Good luck with yours too.
Old 09-13-11, 09:56 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different tires?
Old 09-13-11, 10:25 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Different tires?
+1 this is what i was going to say. Tires can make a huge difference in terms of cabin noise.
Old 09-13-11, 10:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
+1 this is what i was going to say. Tires can make a huge difference in terms of cabin noise.
So true.
The stock EL400-2's suck in so many ways and noise being the worst.
Old 09-13-11, 10:39 AM
titlenhand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday

I would not hesitate to take it to the dealership. A brand new Lexus should never have a noisy engine. I had engine noise issues with mine (2006) but the noise was only heard when the car first starts. The dealer end up replacing the cam gears and some valves under warranty.

I also had keyless entry issues with mine and it was determined that the door lock actuator had failed (repair was covered under warranty).
Old 09-13-11, 11:24 AM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

between my old 2010 IS250, my buddies 2009 IS350, and my 2011 IS350, They sound the same.
Old 09-13-11, 12:16 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Different tires?
They are different but it isn't tire noise, it is definitely the engine. A ticking/rattle type noise.
Old 09-13-11, 12:19 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by titlenhand
I would not hesitate to take it to the dealership. A brand new Lexus should never have a noisy engine. I had engine noise issues with mine (2006) but the noise was only heard when the car first starts. The dealer end up replacing the cam gears and some valves under warranty.

I also had keyless entry issues with mine and it was determined that the door lock actuator had failed (repair was covered under warranty).
Yeah, I will probably have them look at it when I take it for the 1st oil change. I think there is something wrong because nobody else seems to have the issue.
Old 09-13-11, 01:45 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Another possibility is suspension differences (forgot to ask what FSport accessories you have). Anything that hardens the ride usually equates to more vibration and hearing/feeling more things.

I'm also curious of those of you with 2011's that seem noisy bought after the tsunami/subsequent nuclear issue in Japan? (wondering if part shortages might have changed how they were produced).

Quick Reply: Anybody with experience driving pre 2011 & 2011 models