IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unusual Tire Wear!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 07:31 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Actually, no, it's very usual with factory alignment on the 2IS.

Again, there's dozens of threads on this, everybody having the exact same wear... all at stock ride height. Mine were actually even worse at similar mileage, but in exactly the same place.

It's the toe.

(and I'm among those who recommend the Hankook V12s, to the OP... if you live someplace it snows then get SNOW tires for that, run summer performance tires the rest of the time... all-seasons suck, in all seasons)
That's more of the sidewall than tread even, that's not "normal".

Have you even worked with tires before? I've worked on hundreds...yes hundreds...of vehicles that suffer from bad alignment, including numerous 2IS and that small area of wear is not normal. The 5 threads with a freak problem you could quote on here, don't make up for the tens of thousands of 2IS running around that all have a bad alignment. I promise their tires don't look like that. This would be more "normal" of a bad alignment from a car with bad camber/toe...
Old 09-15-11, 07:39 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Another example of the issue you're describing and real world look of the tires. Not 1/16 of the tread and shoulder...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...er-vs-toe.html
POST #5

See how the wear, while deep, is more planed off. That would be more of a "normal" toe out problem.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...es-pics-2.html
POST #30

Last edited by TheSenator; 09-15-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-15-11, 10:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's quite a lot more than 5 people who've had the issue. At stock height.

Lexus makes a point of putting a sticker on the window of the new cars telling you it's normal for the tires to die at 15-20k. This is what lots of folks have experienced. It's normal behavior on the 2IS with the stock alignment.

here's my stock front tires at ~17.5k miles though, and stock ride height:

Both fronts:
http://users.deltacomm.com/kurtz/IMG_0094.JPG

Drivers side front:
http://users.deltacomm.com/kurtz/IMG_0098.JPG

Pass side front:
http://users.deltacomm.com/kurtz/IMG_0097.JPG
Old 09-15-11, 11:10 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

I think we have a different definition of "normal" here.
By the cases you point to, you are making the exception, the rule.
But hey, you've got 5000+ posts...forum vets are always right!

OP-Disregard my knowledge and years of first hand experience working in the tire retail industry...there are no other perspectives allowed on this forum.
Old 09-15-11, 11:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be the exception if for every post of someone who had their tires die, in exactly the same way, that is severe wear to only the inner edge of the front tire, there were 10, or 5, or even 2, people who replied that they got 30-40k out of theirs with no such wear.

but we don't.

Seriously, take some time to search, virtually every tire-life thread in the 2IS section is folks reporting severely worn out inner edges (fronts only) in the 15-20k mile range.

And as I mention, lexus themselves puts a warning on the car saying to expect to need to replace em in 15-20k miles.

So by "normal" I mean "what normally happens on a 2IS"

What normally happens on all the other models of cars you've seen over the years might well be different than what normally happens on 2ISes of course.

Thusfar the commonly accepted explanation is the factory alignment, toe specifically... and those who've had that item fixed no longer experience the issue.

I provided my own pics of mine at 17.5k- if you'd like to offer your professional opinion as to cause by all means do... again those are just the fronts, where the front inner edge wore to unusuable in that # of miles but the rest of the tire looks fine...and the rears are still in use a year later on another vehicle with no trouble at all.
Old 09-15-11, 12:24 PM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
So by "normal" I mean "what normally happens on a 2IS"

What normally happens on all the other models of cars you've seen over the years might well be different than what normally happens on 2ISes of course.
I absolutely recognize Lexus has a toe out spec from the factory (Which seems to be normal for a 2IS). However, with the 2IS and any other car I've diagnosed, the location and severity of his and your wear is abnormal, not the condition. Every 2IS I've ever seen has bad wear on the inner 25% of the tread.....but not only the inner 5% and the shoulder.

And yes, from the few pages of threads I've read through so far, this seems to be the case. ALL have inner wear....very few being run on the shoulder that its so bad. I hope this is a little more clear what I was eluding to.
Old 09-15-11, 01:03 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Happened to me on my old 08, but I was able to squeeze almost 25, 30k miles on them if I remember correctly