IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting ready to do a brake job on a 06 IS250. Any special tools, sensors, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 02:14 PM
teddyca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to do a brake job on a 06 IS250. Any special tools, sensors, etc...

So I come to you for help. My little brother has asked me to assist him in replacing brakes on his wifes Lex. While I have done tons of brake jobs over the years I have never worked on a Lexus. I am sure it is straight up but figured I would find a good forum and post. Information I am looking for are things like, Can you just loosen one side of the caliper, compress piston"s" and put back together with new pads? Are there any special tools or sensors? Anything out of the ordinary. These sound silly and elementary but I simply have NOT even looked at it. He called me this morning and is coming over tonight. Cant hurt to get advise from the Club. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-19-11, 02:19 PM
teddyca
Driver School Candidate

Wow that search feature is great. HAHA I actually did it in the suspension/brakes area and first came up blank. HAHA Thanks guys.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nt-brakes.html
Old 09-19-11, 07:08 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad you used it before some one told you so. LOL
Old 09-19-11, 08:08 PM
Proper 350
Pole Position

was about to say if you did tons of brake before then this will be one of the easiest brake jobs you will ever do.
Old 09-19-11, 08:12 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea its really easy and fast. all the tools u need came with the car...
Old 09-20-11, 07:48 AM
teddyca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Glad you used it before some one told you so. LOL
HAHA No Bull*****. I am a domestic guy and live on Corvetteforum, LS1tech, Z06.com, etc... I am a master blaster at the search feature. I initially did a search in just the brakes area and came up blank. It wasnt until I posted and then searched the entire second gen. area that I found the link. With that said here is my contribution to you all.

DOING THE BRAKES ON A 2ND GEN IS EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are simply replacing pads and not rotors let me save you time and money. Here are my steps.

-Securely jack one side of the car up and remove wheel. If this is the first time ever removing the wheel the factory lock is located in the rear with the rest of the tire tools.

-Using a 14mm box end wrench and a 17mm (i think) place the 14mm on the TOP caliper bolt and on the other side is the slider hold it in place with the 17mm and brake the bolt loose. Once out simply slide the caliper back and out of the way.

- Using the C clamp slowly compress the pison back in place.

- Remove old pads.

- Now take the clip of the rear pad with a flat head and transfer it to the new pad. If your new pads are after market and already have a vibration plate (shim) in place simply clean the other plate. Using plenty of caliper/brake grease lube the inside of the shim's' and install back on abundant bracket.

- Now when reinstalling the bolt I perfer to use locktite as I have seen these back out. Tighten it all back up and reinstall wheel.

-Once on the ground DO NOT forget to torque the wheels before the factory ride. Enjoy you just saved a couple hundred bucks, take the wife out to dinner.

Here is my take on it. My brothers factory pads were a fricking mess. They make more dust then I could believe and the job was a mess. We replaced his perfectly fine front pads because of a squeal. I am sure after the job it was due to all dust and dirt in there. He was happy and all it cost him were new pads and dinner for big bro. We used the top of the line ceramic pads from Autozone which included a built in shim, and the grease. We used the Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads at $84 but it came with everything which was nice. While there also get a can of brake cleaner if you dont already have alittle. Job is really easy and my brother who is NOT mechanically inclined to say the least was actually surprised at the ease. Club Lexus thanks for the help yesterday and I hope someoone finds this post helpful in the future.
Teddy
Old 09-20-11, 11:17 AM
Baaku
Rookie

Thanks for the write-up. It's fairly easy to do. One thought I had was that when using ant-seize, I'm always careful on the torquing of bolts and nuts. The loctite can change torque requirements by several pounds, especially if you get it on the tip where it touches both ends.
Old 09-20-11, 11:35 AM
teddyca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Baaku
Thanks for the write-up. It's fairly easy to do. One thought I had was that when using ant-seize, I'm always careful on the torquing of bolts and nuts. The loctite can change torque requirements by several pounds, especially if you get it on the tip where it touches both ends.

That is something I did not know. I use it simply because I had a caliper bolt back out on my Z06 and it could have been a big mess had I not caught it. I just put a drop at the center of the threads but thats my preferance. There was nothing from the factory so it is not needed but I have my own way of doing things
Old 09-20-11, 04:57 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
HAHA No Bull*****. I am a domestic guy and live on Corvetteforum, LS1tech, Z06.com, etc... I am a master blaster at the search feature. I initially did a search in just the brakes area and came up blank. It wasnt until I posted and then searched the entire second gen. area that I found the link. With that said here is my contribution to you all.

DOING THE BRAKES ON A 2ND GEN IS EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are simply replacing pads and not rotors let me save you time and money. Here are my steps.

-Securely jack one side of the car up and remove wheel. If this is the first time ever removing the wheel the factory lock is located in the rear with the rest of the tire tools.

-Using a 14mm box end wrench and a 17mm (i think) place the 14mm on the TOP caliper bolt and on the other side is the slider hold it in place with the 17mm and brake the bolt loose. Once out simply slide the caliper back and out of the way.

- Using the C clamp slowly compress the pison back in place.

- Remove old pads.

- Now take the clip of the rear pad with a flat head and transfer it to the new pad. If your new pads are after market and already have a vibration plate (shim) in place simply clean the other plate. Using plenty of caliper/brake grease lube the inside of the shim's' and install back on abundant bracket.

- Now when reinstalling the bolt I perfer to use locktite as I have seen these back out. Tighten it all back up and reinstall wheel.

-Once on the ground DO NOT forget to torque the wheels before the factory ride. Enjoy you just saved a couple hundred bucks, take the wife out to dinner.

Here is my take on it. My brothers factory pads were a fricking mess. They make more dust then I could believe and the job was a mess. We replaced his perfectly fine front pads because of a squeal. I am sure after the job it was due to all dust and dirt in there. He was happy and all it cost him were new pads and dinner for big bro. We used the top of the line ceramic pads from Autozone which included a built in shim, and the grease. We used the Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads at $84 but it came with everything which was nice. While there also get a can of brake cleaner if you dont already have alittle. Job is really easy and my brother who is NOT mechanically inclined to say the least was actually surprised at the ease. Club Lexus thanks for the help yesterday and I hope someoone finds this post helpful in the future.
Teddy
Where in Cali are you? Could you help me change mine too + dinner?
Old 09-20-11, 07:02 PM
teddyca
Driver School Candidate

I am in Tracy. I can do your brakes and we can figure it out, but I would want to make sure the AWD and RWD are the same.