IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 07:00 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install

Now I'm a little more comfortable on the ride to include a little better sound quality from the tires. I think the toe was a little to far in causing another reason for loud noises... Thanks to all for your help, looks as though I am going to return the Tein's and go with F-Sport shocks/springs.

Just got my IS350 two weeks ago and parts have been flying through the mail trying to reach their final destination of Atlanta, Georgia, to be consumed by my wonderful vehicle.

Parts that are on the way:
Borla Exhaust (arrives today)
F-Sport Intake (arrives today)
GFX Front Lip (arrives next week)
LED's for the entire vehicle (any day now)
Tein SS Coilovers (Lost in mail I think!?!? F***)

Installed:
Wheels - Linea Corse LC818 w/ 235/35/19 & 275/30/19's
5mm Spacers (rear)
Nav Hack
Hard Wired Valentine 1
15% Tint

Here is the problem:
So I got my wheels in yesterday and while at work (I work at a dealership) I had one of the service techs install the wheels with 5mm spacers in the back and to check the fitment as I have Tein SS coilovers in the mail. After putting them on I went ahead and decided to drive on them to see how the ride quality was and in the end, it felt like COMPLETE ****. Mind you I am on completely stock suspension. I am going to get an alignment today and make sure that they are balanced correctly but on my way to and from work the ride was garbage. Everything vibrated, I could barely hear my girl friend talk sitting next to me while driving at 60mph (sounded like I was in an plane that was landing), and I felt every bump on a road that was JUST FRESHLY PAVED a few months ago. WTF am I missing here? My IS300 rode 10 times better than this on crap Eibach springs and same size wheels and my girls BMW 550i with same size wheels/tires is 1000 times better to... this includes her old HONDA S2000 dropped 2.5" all the way around. Could it be since Linea Corse LC818 wheels are BBS knock offs that the replica part makes it ride like ****? What do I need to do with my suspension to get it to sound a little quieter? I bought Tein SS's and I am thinking it is going to be a major mistake to have these things installed...This is complete BS.

What do I have to do to quiet down the ride? I LOVE these wheels but man but one trip to Destin, Florida for the beach will not be fun..

Unpacking

Just after install

Today at work

UPDATE: Took my car to Butler and ran into some issues with the ever so exciting Linea Corse LC818 wheel:

1. In the REAR you must have a 5mm spacer in order to use the Linea Corse center cap. If you do not have a 5mm spacer (at least on MY IS350) then you can't put the center cap on as the hub sticks out ever so slightly. This is BS on Linea Corse's part.

2. When using a spacer, make sure you DO NOT use a universal spacer like the one Linea Corse will sell you cause they are not hubcentric thus causing possible wheel vibrations.

3. If you still use the Linea Corse spacer, an elongated wheel lug will also NOT work as it will not fit inside the hole for the stud.

4. I went with Nitrogen filled tires at 35F and 37R PSI.

5. Torqued the wheels to spec

6. Alignment

7. High-speed balance.

/UPDATE

Last edited by dackp143; 09-20-11 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 07:07 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of possible causes. You lost quite a bit of sidewall going up to the 19s. You didn't mention what tires you bought and I can't tell by the picture (they look like they may be Nexen 3000s). Have you checked the tire pressure? Maybe the tech put too much air in them. Also, how heavy are these wheels and tires compared to the stocks? Increase in unsprung weight can change ride quality. Were the 5mm spacers hub centric? If not it can cause vibes. Were the tires balanced on a road force balancer? That can make a difference too.

Wheels look nice, by the way.

Last edited by BamaIS; 09-20-11 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 07:08 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

dont blame the wheel...you are having low profile tires!

which brand/model do you have?
Old 09-20-11, 07:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Tires look directional, are they mounted the right way? As mentioned check the pressure, also confirm the torque used on the lugs/wheels - assume since this is a dealer they'd have done those things right but things happen.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-20-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 07:10 AM
Damaster32
Lead Lap

did you put hub rings on???
Old 09-20-11, 07:16 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure they are balanced correctly!
Check tire pressure!
Won't be the wheels unless one is bent or something!
Could be crappy tires, but they should just be loud!
I would also check the spacers!
Do you need/have hubcentric rings?
Old 09-20-11, 07:41 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BamaIS
Lots of possible causes. You lost quite a bit of sidewall going up to the 19s. You didn't mention what tires you bought and I can't tell by the picture (they look like they may be Nexen 3000s). Have you checked the tire pressure? Maybe the tech put too much air in them. Also, how heavy are these wheels and tires compared to the stocks? Increase in unsprung weight can change ride quality. Were the 5mm spacers hub centric? If not it can cause vibes. Were the tires balanced on a road force balancer? That can make a difference too.

Wheels look nice, by the way.
You nailed it, they Nexen 3000's. I have been riding on Nexen's though for about 4 years now and haven't ever been through this. They have a max PSI of 50 and I put each tire at 40PSI.. As far as wheel weight, they are considerably lighter than OEM by a few pounds from what I hear. The 5mm spacers are NOT hub centric though I do have hub centric rings on the wheels. When I get an alignment today I'll pull them POS off and I will get a high-speed balance just for extra precaution. What do you think in regards to suspension? Should I stick coilovers like I already bought or maybe an F-Sport spring?

Originally Posted by kickin8
dont blame the wheel...you are having low profile tires!

which brand/model do you have?
Nexen 3000's

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Tires look directional, are they mounted the right way? As mentioned check the pressure, also confirm the torque used on the lugs/wheels - assume since this is a dealer they'd have done those things right but things happen.
The directions are all right on point and the PSI is at 40 with a max of 50. The wheels are torqued down to 120f-lbs so they are definitely tight as ****.

Originally Posted by Damaster32
Yes I do but not on the 5mm spacers..

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Make sure they are balanced correctly!
Check tire pressure!
Won't be the wheels unless one is bent or something!
Could be crappy tires, but they should just be loud!
I would also check the spacers!
Do you need/have hubcentric rings?
Not bent as they have 20 miles on them. Nexen tires are great tires as I have been using them for quite a long time. I understand loud but I can't even talk on Bluetooth going 50 mph due to all the road noise. WTF. Hub centric rings are installed but nothing for the spacers.
Old 09-20-11, 08:04 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Your tire pressure should be the same as it is with the stock 18s (35 F/37 R). The spacers have to be centered on the hub or they will definitely cause vibes. It won't cause vibes or bad ride, but 120 ft/lb is too high on lug nuts. Should be 80 ft/lb.
Old 09-20-11, 08:06 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

try to mount it w/o the spacers and see how it sounds?
Old 09-20-11, 08:06 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BamaIS
Your tire pressure should be the same as it is with the stock 18s (35 F/37 R). The spacers have to be centered on the hub or they will definitely cause vibes. It won't cause vibes or bad ride, but 120 ft/lb is too high on lug nuts. Should be 80 ft/lb.
Great insight BamaIS, I will definitely make sure that Butler Tire adds the correct amount of air (35/37). What do think I should do about suspension? Keep the Tein's that are coming in or send them back and go with Springs?
Old 09-20-11, 08:07 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kickin8
try to mount it w/o the spacers and see how it sounds?
I'm going to have them taken off today at lunch when I get a high-speed balance and alignment.. I'll let you know what happens..
Old 09-20-11, 08:22 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Damaster32
you need hub centric rubber rings that come with the wheels. ask zoeb about it.
Old 09-20-11, 08:24 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by allst4r
you need hub centric rubber rings that come with the wheels. ask zoeb about it.
I already have them installed on the car. Enough about the vibrations, what about the NOISY *** RIDE QUALITY? Any insight on a good suspension?
Old 09-20-11, 08:29 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

I have the same rims and i have no issue. Balance rims, tire pressure, Hub rings, Tires make a huge difference
Old 09-20-11, 08:31 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

I'll tell you from my experience that the tires are the main problem for noise and comfort..I had some no name brand tires temporarily on before and had the same issue you have..Once I got some quality tires, it was like night & day difference.. I'm also running the same sizes on h&r springs and it is as quiet as can be..check out the ratings on tirerack and you will see all kinds of brands that have a quiet ride at a good price..

Quick Reply: Horrible ride quality after Linea Corse LC818 install