IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cross Country Road Trip on Stretch Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 03:16 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross Country Road Trip on Stretch Tires?

Alright... I need some advice here. I am supposed to be driving to the Pursuit in SoCal from Houston, Texas. As I've been preparing myself for the drive and everything, I realized, "Oh! I forgot, I am now on stretched tires!"

I'm on:
F: 19x8.5+28 225/35/19
R: 19x10.5+29 245/35/19

I'm on Yokohama Neova AD08s... and they've gotten MAYBE 1,000 miles on them.

Do you think I'll be ok driving to Cali on my tires? Or should I throw my stocks back on?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-11, 03:39 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

If you have the stockers left with good tires I'd throw those on.
Old 09-23-11, 03:40 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why wouldn't you be able to drive on your tires?
Old 09-23-11, 03:51 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

I dont know about that one.....I wouldnt do it.....I live in FL and I go visit my family in New Orleans a lot and thats only 250 miles but the roads are so jacked up I would demolish my wheels. If it was a " Smooth " Perfect road id say hell yea but you nver know what your gonna get on US highways.
Old 09-23-11, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

wow I give you props for driving from TX to Cali and back!!!
Old 09-23-11, 04:31 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by karasha
Alright... I need some advice here. I am supposed to be driving to the Pursuit in SoCal from Houston, Texas. As I've been preparing myself for the drive and everything, I realized, "Oh! I forgot, I am now on stretched tires!"

I'm on:
F: 19x8.5+28 225/35/19
R: 19x10.5+29 245/35/19

I'm on Yokohama Neova AD08s... and they've gotten MAYBE 1,000 miles on them.

Do you think I'll be ok driving to Cali on my tires? Or should I throw my stocks back on?

Thanks in advance
the fronts aren't that much of a stretch. the rears are stretched a little bit more. while there's no rule to say that you can't, ultimately you bear the inherent risk of driving on "stretched" (i use that term loosely) tires on a long road trip.

now, unless you're driving alone, split carrying your stock wheels and tires w/ your caravan buddy/buddies... or your aftermarket wheels while you make the trip in your stocks.

on a related note, have a safe trip, and see you @ the pursuit 3.
Old 09-23-11, 04:46 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Guys lets not get so technical... if your want to look hottttttt with a "Z" at the end.... driving down to cali, keep your current wheels. Their panty droppers except in this case your'e the panty holder, tho I dont know how it would work out (actually I do but forum rules wont allow further explanation)

or

throw your stocks back on, ride around with the TPMS light on the whole time but come home to some fresh 19" sitting at home. am I too vague?

Last edited by Vroomin350; 09-23-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 05:10 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
I dont know about that one.....I wouldnt do it.....I live in FL and I go visit my family in New Orleans a lot and thats only 250 miles but the roads are so jacked up I would demolish my wheels. If it was a " Smooth " Perfect road id say hell yea but you nver know what your gonna get on US highways.
Yeah... who here knows how the roads are from Houston to Cali?!
[*crickets*...]
But I've become quite the master at handling crappy roads. I do live in Houston. HAHA!

Originally Posted by projectdna
the fronts aren't that much of a stretch. the rears are stretched a little bit more. while there's no rule to say that you can't, ultimately you bear the inherent risk of driving on "stretched" (i use that term loosely) tires on a long road trip.

now, unless you're driving alone, split carrying your stock wheels and tires w/ your caravan buddy/buddies... or your aftermarket wheels while you make the trip in your stocks.

on a related note, have a safe trip, and see you @ the pursuit 3.
I know my tires are not by any means as "stretched" as some of the VIP guys, but still they're "stretched" enough for me to ask the question whether it's safe or not for me to do this. What would these "inherent" risks would be driving on the "stretched" tires? Same ones that I have when I drive around my city? I feel as if my tires would be able to make the drive quite fine, but I am just checking to see if I am being naive about this.

See you at the pursuit, DNA!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
wow I give you props for driving from TX to Cali and back!!!
You only live once, dude.

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Guys lets not get so technical... if your want to look hottttttt with a "Z" at the end.... driving down to cali, keep your current wheels. Their panty droppers except in this case your'e the panty holder, tho I dont know how it would work out (actually I do but forum rules wont allow further explanation)

or

throw your stocks back on, ride around with the TPMS light on the whole time but come home to some fresh 19" sitting at home. am I too vague?
LMAO... "panty holder" wtf?! Vroom.... bro is that english?
Nah, I understand what you're saying. I am not driving all the way out from Houston just to show up in Cali with STOCK (crappily painted) wheels. I'm showing up with my car in it's best condition... [and about 4 rolls of blue tape on it] I am just double checking to ensure that my tires will hold up. That's all... If the tires are good to go and they'll make it then heck yeah I want to show up in Cali looking fresh.
Old 09-23-11, 05:20 PM
helex
Plasti Dip King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive on your stretched tires normally, then there shouldnt be any problems with driving on a long trip. I made the trip on stretched tires (225's on a 9.5) from Pennsylvania to miami last year and never had any problems. I took a stocker in the trunk (full size spare) just incase, because im slammed with a lip kit, and a spare would put me too close to the ground. Oh and dont forget about blue tape, but seems like you covered that last post.
Old 09-23-11, 05:35 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by karasha
Yeah... who here knows how the roads are from Houston to Cali?!
[*crickets*...]
But I've become quite the master at handling crappy roads. I do live in Houston. HAHA!
i did a LA-alamogordo, NM round trip road trip/vacay this past memorial day weekend (in a rental). from what i can remember, the highways aren't bad, but they aren't great by any stretch of imagination.

I know my tires are not by any means as "stretched" as some of the VIP guys, but still they're "stretched" enough for me to ask the question whether it's safe or not for me to do this. What would these "inherent" risks would be driving on the "stretched" tires? Same ones that I have when I drive around my city? I feel as if my tires would be able to make the drive quite fine, but I am just checking to see if I am being naive about this.
the risk you take by driving from TX to CA with your aftermarket wheels/tires is the same risk you take DD'ing them lengthened by whatever amount of time you are on the road. (read: same risk, longer exposure.)

stretching tires compromises sidewall and tire bead integrity. the more the tire is stretched, the weaker the sidewalls and bead become. add enough heat and pressure, and tires will fail. but 245/35-19 on a 10.5"-wide wheel isn't that much of a stretch (if you can call it that).

barring unforeseen circumstances, you shouldn't have any issues. there's nothing wrong with playing it safe and asking questions in advance.

See you at the pursuit, DNA!
likewise.
Old 09-23-11, 07:03 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

^^haha good one
Old 09-23-11, 07:26 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

LMAO... "panty holder" wtf?! Vroom.... bro is that english?
Nah, I understand what you're saying. I am not driving all the way out from Houston just to show up in Cali with STOCK (crappily painted) wheels. I'm showing up with my car in it's best condition... [and about 4 rolls of blue tape on it] I am just double checking to ensure that my tires will hold up. That's all... If the tires are good to go and they'll make it then heck yeah I want to show up in Cali looking fresh.
Kash (made my own name for you, if you like it good if u don't, pm my secretary)
I can't expect everyone to understand my language, or so I've heard at times, but you know what I meant YOUR CAR IS WEARING THE PANTIES. Lol in all honesty I give you my word your tires will be fine or...or.... Nothing. Remember me from your other thread? we have practically same setup.

Goodluck

Brands on tires?
Old 09-23-11, 11:22 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Baaku
Yep... I'd drive in the stretched tires... I mean, what's a little danger along the way? Nothing like putting your life at risk just to look good.

-pic snip-

In my opinion... only women who are low hanging fruit will be tossing their panties-- hardly a good score. Stretched tires are to cars as

-pic snip-

are to regular clothing.

One lady's view
certainly a severe case of premature tire failure from tire stretching. but that looks pretty damn catastrophic. what happened leading to that?

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Brands on tires?
see first post.
Old 09-24-11, 12:03 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a bunch of people who go back and forth from Vegas to LA for car shows ect on stretched tires. And I have never seen any of them have any issues.
Old 09-24-11, 11:00 AM
birador
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the unfamiliar road condition,i will rather change my wheels and save it,it's better to be safe than sorry!

Quick Reply: Cross Country Road Trip on Stretch Tires?