IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cilajet????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 10:07 PM
ex2c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cilajet????

Hey everyone, has anyone here ever cilajeted their car?? If so, is it worth it? and does anyone have any pictures of before and after? I'm thinking about doing it but 300 bucks......! haha Thanks everyone!
Old 09-26-11, 11:09 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my IS250 cilajeted inside and out by the dealer. There is a difference in shine and easy to clean. The paint feels super smooth. It protects the paint from harsh UV. I only had the car for about a year now (its a 2010 GFM model) so I cant tell you about the overall durabilty of it. I hope its keeps the shine forever since I love that GFM color.
However, there are some drawbacks, at least in my opinion. You cant wax the car. Obviously you cant claybar or buff the car either. It doesnt stop rocks from chipping the paint (I got a rock chip on the front of the hood. It is partly do to the aluminum being not as strong as steel.)
Interior stains are easily cleaned and its suppost to keep the leather soft, but it looks like the leather is wearing similar to vehicles without it.
$300 seems to be a steal, I paid about $700 for interior/exterior, but I guess thats because its from the stealership...
Old 09-26-11, 11:41 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting, never knew or heard of cilajet until I read this post. Googled it up and read up on it. From what I've read, it isn't something someone can buy over the counter. Last 10 years for new cars, even if it'll last 3 or 4 years, I'll be happy.
Old 09-27-11, 07:14 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

problem with the dealership is they won't clean and prep the car properly before applying the product so you're just sealing in dirt, swirls, etc...

there are better products out there for less money imo.
but unless you are a do it yourselfer, then you will pay about the same for someone to apply them for you...

i.e. Opticoat 2.0, Cquartz, Gtechniq C1...
Old 09-27-11, 07:17 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't imagine it being worth $300.
Old 09-27-11, 07:28 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Is this a good DIY?? Where can we buy it if we wanted to apply it ourselves? Does the wax "shine" look still there??
Old 09-27-11, 10:29 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

You can't do it yourself. Unless you work for cilajet, there are no over the counter products. The shine is still there. After you lightly wash the car, it looks like its been thoroughly detailed.
The following users liked this post:
DunWkg (12-19-16)
Old 09-27-11, 11:07 AM
ex2c
Driver School Candidate

Not being able to wax the car for 5 years...??? Really? That seems a little extreme? So based on your opinions do you recommend doing it? 300 is the price for only exterior. Doesn't include the interior being cilajeted or the wheels!
Old 09-27-11, 12:04 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

THe wheels on my car were cilajeted as well. I can't really give you a answer if its worth it or not. I am guessing it for people who dont want/like to wash detail their cars. My car is beautifully smooth and shiny without any wax, so I guess I am happy with that. Its really up to you and your needs, if you really need it or not.
Old 09-27-11, 12:18 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

NO WHERE in Georgia do they offer this stuff. Damnit
Old 09-27-11, 01:31 PM
ex2c
Driver School Candidate

Ahh...I seee. Hmmmmmmm. Sucha difficult condition.....
Old 09-27-11, 02:56 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

@ex2c

I purchased this when i bought my car but looking at overall quality after two years i cant really see a difference from a car who has not been cilajet. The only advantage i have had since i have had it is my dealer has re-painted my full front end and hood plus fenders as well because of the warranty that comes with the purchase of the warranty that comes with the cilajet. oh and its due to rock chips. which is covered under that warranty.

The dealer i bought my car from was santa monica lexus and the service dept their was easy to work with as well as long as it was rock chips.
Old 09-27-11, 03:06 PM
ex2c
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jay90011
@ex2c

I purchased this when i bought my car but looking at overall quality after two years i cant really see a difference from a car who has not been cilajet. The only advantage i have had since i have had it is my dealer has re-painted my full front end and hood plus fenders as well because of the warranty that comes with the purchase of the warranty that comes with the cilajet. oh and its due to rock chips. which is covered under that warranty.

The dealer i bought my car from was santa monica lexus and the service dept their was easy to work with as well as long as it was rock chips.
Ohhh hmmm. So when you purchase cilajet. There is a warranty that comes with it? Do you have to purchase it from a dealership? And also the lexus warranty covers paint chips or does the cilajet warranty cover it? Thanks!!
Old 09-27-11, 03:08 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jay90011
@ex2c

If you are saying the dealer repainted the body free of charge because of rock chips, you are very lucky. The limited warranty states:

"What is not covered by the limited warranty :
Surface deterioration or rust resulting from damage due to accident, collision, road debris, vandalism, hail or, other severe
weather storms, scratches or dents, vehicle alterations, modifications or alterations of the factory’s original finish, misuse, abuse,
negligence or failure to properly maintain the vehicle."
Old 09-27-11, 03:17 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

@jay That's what I thought to when they tried to sell me that.

It sounded like a marketing gimmick. Best way to protect from rock chips is to install a clear bra. I have it on my car and saved my car from heartache many times.

Quick Reply: Cilajet????