IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rebuilt Title??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 06:38 AM
gravity266
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Title??

I have seen a couple of cars that have rebuilt titles. Can someone please explain to me what it really means and if I buy a car with a rebuilt title will I have problem reselling it? How much lower should a rebuilt title car be in price?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-11, 07:34 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gravity266
I have seen a couple of cars that have rebuilt titles. Can someone please explain to me what it really means and if I buy a car with a rebuilt title will I have problem reselling it? How much lower should a rebuilt title car be in price?

Thanks.
Unless you plan on keeping the car until it eventually kicks the bucket, DON'T BUY IT.

A salvage title is something the state labels a vehicle if it has been in an accident of any kind to where the cost of the repairs are more than the value of the car. Another reason for a salvage title is that the vehicle was in such a bad accident, the frame of the car has been damaged (ex. "Frame damage"). It is illegal for a dealership to sell cars with frame damage (at least in Georgia) so usually you will find these cars from private sellers or auction.

The value of a car with frame damage is crap. Example: my buddy was looking for a fully loaded 2008-2009 Ford F-250 King Ranch last week. The list price in our area were between $25-35k. He found a beautiful 2008 one for $17k, $9k less than anywhere else. When I ran an AutoCheck on it from my work, it stated it was a "rebuilt title/salvage title." In other words, the truck wasn't worth *****.

Even though an insurance company totals out a car because of heavy damage or frame damage, the insurance company will sell the vehicle to a parts auction. The parts auction gets buyer who wants to rebuild the car. Once rebuilt, the owner goes to the state and asks for a salvage/rebuilt title. The issuing state usually agrees once the vehicle has been checked out.

If a car has been hit pretty badly, usually it is hard to get a solid alignment or you will have rough driving issues or engine problems.

Last edited by dackp143; 09-27-11 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-27-11, 07:37 AM
gravity266
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dackp143
Unless you plan on keeping the car until it eventually kicks the bucket, DON'T BUY IT.

A salvage title is something the state labels a vehicle if it has been in an accident of any kind to where the cost of the repairs are more than the value of the car. Another reason for a salvage title is that the vehicle was in such a bad accident, the frame of the car has been damaged (ex. "Frame damage"). It is illegal for a dealership to sell cars with frame damage (at least in Georgia) so usually you will find these cars from private sellers or auction.

The value of a car with frame damage is crap. Example: my buddy was looking for a 2008 Ford F-250 King Ranch last week...
So a rebuilt title is basically something that was salvaged has now been rebuilt?
Old 09-27-11, 07:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of flood salvage vehicles around today.
Old 09-27-11, 07:43 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

So a rebuilt title is basically something that was salvaged has now been rebuilt?
It's the same thing. Rebuilt/Salvage title is the exact same thing. Just two different ways of saying it.

Don't buy a salvage vehicle with the impression that you will get such a good deal and then you can turn around and sell it to someone else for a profit. Salvage vehicles generally sell for significantly less than a non-salvage vehicle, whether you are on the buying or selling end. So while you may save money on the purchase side, you'll make less on the sale side. If you are the type of person who buys a car and then drives it a long time, until it dies, then it could be worth it.
Old 09-27-11, 07:52 AM
gravity266
Driver School Candidate

It's the same thing. Rebuilt/Salvage title is the exact same thing. Just two different ways of saying it.

Don't buy a salvage vehicle with the impression that you will get such a good deal and then you can turn around and sell it to someone else for a profit. Salvage vehicles generally sell for significantly less than a non-salvage vehicle, whether you are on the buying or selling end. So while you may save money on the purchase side, you'll make less on the sale side. If you are the type of person who buys a car and then drives it a long time, until it dies, then it could be worth it.
Thanks. You have been really helpful.
Old 09-27-11, 08:03 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Sure you man, opening up knowledge to everyone regarding these types of things is always insightful.

Also to anyone else looking at salvage titles, most lending companies will NOT lend you money for a vehicle with a salvage title. Most insurance companies won't insure you either. Just FYI
Old 09-27-11, 08:14 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Very good info!

When I am looking for a car and see rebuilt/salvage I click the back button. I myself would never purchase a car with a rebuilt/salvage title. I work at a bank and we will not loan on a vehicle with such a title.

I drove my friends Civic Si that had "frame damage" and everything looked nice and new. The car had a slight pull to the left no matter what he did. He spent about $1,000 trying out new tires, getting different alignments etc. The car was just never the same.

PS: I've seen where a car has had a clean CARFAX, yet AUTOCHECK had "frame damage" on their. If I ever buy another used car, I will be getting both carfax and autocheck.
Old 09-27-11, 08:19 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

I AGREE! Get both AutoCheck and CarFax. Let me know if anyone needs a free AutoCheck, I can get it anytime day or night at no cost to you
Old 09-27-11, 08:20 AM
gravity266
Driver School Candidate

The loan thing wont apply to be but its still good to know.

So for a rebuilt/salvaged title you can't get auto insurance, or is it some other kind of insurance you are talking about?
Old 09-27-11, 08:23 AM
baypistol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The loan thing wont apply to be but its still good to know.

So for a rebuilt/salvaged title you can't get auto insurance, or is it some other kind of insurance you are talking about?
I got insurance on a salvage title car before and they will pay out significantly less if the car is totaled. But not all insurance companies will give you comprehensive insurance on a salvage car and you should check with them first before purchasing insurance.
Old 09-27-11, 08:35 AM
gravity266
Driver School Candidate

I AGREE! Get both AutoCheck and CarFax. Let me know if anyone needs a free AutoCheck, I can get it anytime day or night at no cost to you
Thats nice to know.

I'm narrowing my search down to Infiniti G's. Can I bother you for 2-3 reports when I have made up mind completely??
Old 09-27-11, 08:37 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Thats nice to know.

I'm narrowing my search down to Infiniti G's. Can I bother you for 2-3 reports when I have made up mind completely??
Sure man, post all the VIN's you want. Takes me 5 seconds to run AutoCheck
Old 09-27-11, 10:36 AM
Captain311
Driver School Candidate

This is kinda wrong! The whole salvage/rebuilt thing isn't EXACTLY the same thing. My first car was an 03 cobra that i bought through my uncle who owns a dealership, and yes it had a rebuilt title. A rebuilt title in most states means that the car had to built back to certain standards, not just some joe schmoe that fixed it in his garage on the weekends. Therefore, if you buy a rebuilt car, yes it was salvage at one point, but it was rebuilt to the proper specifications and passed a thorough inspection. It all depends on the damage tho, and where it was hit. I had my 03 cobra for 50K miles and didn't have one damn problem ever. I do agree that if there is frame damage, be aware, eventho you can get a frame straightened within like one hundredth of an inch these days with all that digital crap.
Old 09-27-11, 10:48 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Captain311
This is kinda wrong! The whole salvage/rebuilt thing isn't EXACTLY the same thing. My first car was an 03 cobra that i bought through my uncle who owns a dealership, and yes it had a rebuilt title. A rebuilt title in most states means that the car had to built back to certain standards, not just some joe schmoe that fixed it in his garage on the weekends. Therefore, if you buy a rebuilt car, yes it was salvage at one point, but it was rebuilt to the proper specifications and passed a thorough inspection. It all depends on the damage tho, and where it was hit. I had my 03 cobra for 50K miles and didn't have one damn problem ever. I do agree that if there is frame damage, be aware, eventho you can get a frame straightened within like one hundredth of an inch these days with all that digital crap.
You are correct but so was I if you go back and read.

Rebuilt title: Wrecked car that has passed the states inspection.
Salvage title: Has yet to pass inspection or is still wrecked.

Value: Ain't worth s***

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Title??