IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best technique to switch polarity terminals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 05:22 PM
07Lex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best technique to switch polarity terminals?

Trying to install XD Volt HID's for my lows, the only hold up is I can't switch the terminals. I don't want to damage the plug and terminals? Anybody got a good technique?
Old 09-30-11, 05:25 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont you just install the plug backwards ? i had to do this with my HID fogs not sure if its different for low's.

Reverse Polarity

If you install your HID kit and they do not turn on you may have reverse polarity. What this means is the power and ground wires are your vehicles stock harness are reversed. What you will have to do is plug the harness connector into the ballast backwards. You will be plugging in the connector from your car into the kit backwards. This will not harm the vehicle or the kit.

Note: Reverse Polarity is an issue with the cars wiring not the HID kit. Some cars come from the factory wired in an orientation that is reversed when compared to the HID kit. When using stock halogen bulbs, polarity has no effect, therefore, some manufactures will have the power and ground wires opposite of the HID kit. Some manufactures will have reverse polarity more then others. A lot of GM models have reverse polarity.
Old 09-30-11, 06:31 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Read the directions that came with the hid kit. you need to get a small flat head screwdriver. Inside the xenon depot plug there should be 2 small plastic clips you need to "unlatch" with the flathead (one for the positive wire and one for the negative wire). While you have the plastic clip unlocked, pull on the wire from the other side and it should pull out easily. Same procedure for the 2nd wire. Once there both out, push them back into the connecter in the opposite holes. Make sure the plastic clip inside locks into place so the wire wont pull out.

Off xenon depot website: On the inner flap of the box that the product arrived in you will find links to download instruction guides.

Last edited by is150; 09-30-11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 09:16 PM
07Lex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
Dont you just install the plug backwards ? i had to do this with my HID fogs not sure if its different for low's.

Reverse Polarity

If you install your HID kit and they do not turn on you may have reverse polarity. What this means is the power and ground wires are your vehicles stock harness are reversed. What you will have to do is plug the harness connector into the ballast backwards. You will be plugging in the connector from your car into the kit backwards. This will not harm the vehicle or the kit.

Note: Reverse Polarity is an issue with the cars wiring not the HID kit. Some cars come from the factory wired in an orientation that is reversed when compared to the HID kit. When using stock halogen bulbs, polarity has no effect, therefore, some manufactures will have the power and ground wires opposite of the HID kit. Some manufactures will have reverse polarity more then others. A lot of GM models have reverse polarity.
Thanks

Originally Posted by is150
Read the directions that came with the hid kit. you need to get a small flat head screwdriver. Inside the xenon depot plug there should be 2 small plastic clips you need to "unlatch" with the flathead (one for the positive wire and one for the negative wire). While you have the plastic clip unlocked, pull on the wire from the other side and it should pull out easily. Same procedure for the 2nd wire. Once there both out, push them back into the connecter in the opposite holes. Make sure the plastic clip inside locks into place so the wire wont pull out.

Off xenon depot website: On the inner flap of the box that the product arrived in you will find links to download instruction guides. .
Thanks

I prep'd myself well and knew ahead I needed to switch polarity on the plug. I spent too much time and I got nowhere. Small screwdriver and all. I flipped the Volt plug that connects to the OEM plug and it fit? HID's come on with no problem. Weird issue popped up, as I took a test drive, "check engine light" and "Check VSC" are on. Ran a few errands, turning off and on a few times, "check engine light" and "Check VSC" came off? We'll see how it goes later on tonight?