IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Obsidian (Clear coat or not)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11 | 09:45 PM
HORSE9
Driver School Candidate

Default Obsidian (Clear coat or not)

After years of reading this forum, I am just about to order a Black 2012 IS F

My only question is does the Obsidian have clear coat or not. I have read many different opinons but would like clarification once and for all before pulling the trigger on my IS F. It does not, I may have to resort to the new Mercury Grey Mica. because of the swirls.

Anyone have any pics of that new colour Mercury Grey Mica here in Canada, No 2012 vehicles on the Lexus lot here in town in that colour yet.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 10-02-11 | 10:28 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on getting the IS-F soon! If I were you, I'd pick the Mercury Grey Mica. It's a unique color and I just hate my Obsidian IS350. It's impossible for me to not get swirls in it. I just washed my car this weekend and my finger skin put fine scratches in the paint when I tried to rub off a light layer of dust. Every piece of dust shows in the sunlight too. I'm definitely never getting a black car ever again in my life unless it looks really good on that car. I'm sure the Obsidian has clear coat on it but maybe someone else knows 100%.
Old 10-02-11 | 11:55 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, obsidian has a clear coat, I found out while getting my Wald lip painted last friday.
Old 10-03-11 | 08:15 AM
getfunky
Driver

Originally Posted by chi123
Congrats on getting the IS-F soon! If I were you, I'd pick the Mercury Grey Mica. It's a unique color and I just hate my Obsidian IS350. It's impossible for me to not get swirls in it. I just washed my car this weekend and my finger skin put fine scratches in the paint when I tried to rub off a light layer of dust. Every piece of dust shows in the sunlight too. I'm definitely never getting a black car ever again in my life unless it looks really good on that car. I'm sure the Obsidian has clear coat on it but maybe someone else knows 100%.
+1. Silver and Mercury Grey Mica look really good on the IS. I, too, have an obsidian is350 that I don't really like. Sure black usually goes well with any car but it's boring... and i feel like this color doesn't look the best on this car. Also, the majority of isx50s I see on the road are black and I wish I could have gotten silver instead.

Everything chi123 about paint is right. With black you can easily see the fine swirl marks, finger prints and dust. You especially notice it under a street lamp at night time. It bothers me so much that I plan on getting my car paint corrected/detailed.
Old 10-03-11 | 09:20 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

obsidian has a tinted clearcoat so when you polish with a buffer, the pad will get a little colour on it. No need to worry, you have not gone through the clear...

I'd get grey mica too if I were you. Black is a lot of maintenance. To the guys that can't prevent swirls, you need to start handwashing the car yourself with the 2 bucket method. To help even further, get opticoat 2.0
After 3 months, that stuff is harder than the original clearcoat...

it can still be swirled but it is stronger than the clear we have on there now...
Old 10-03-11 | 10:33 AM
smackman
Driver

Default LOVE MY Obsidian IS C 250! Not a problem

My 2011 IS 250 Convertible is Obsidian. We LOVE IT! I really believe some are wayyyyyyyy to critical or "picky". I have more compliments about my car looking good.

Yes, I could look for every little issue but most Obsidian owners are not as critical to examine there car under a freaking street light or flashlight.

I mean really....... Wash it, wax it, use UQD and UQW at the appropriate times and you will be extremely happy with your Obsidian colored Lexus.