IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 05:05 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problems..

So i took my car in the other day for some minor issue. Turned out to be a bigger issue than i thought. Dealer told me my piston rings were messed up and my hydraulic lifter. Would love for someone to chime in on how this could have happened. Im guessing you have to rebuild the engine? -______-
nd yes i have been on point with my oil changes.

not that it matters but what would you guys say this would cost out of warranty?
3 weeks... nd I'm stuck with a loaner =/

Last edited by AmirLexus; 10-03-11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 05:15 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this related to engine cranking noise when you start the engine?
Old 10-03-11, 05:20 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what was the minor issue
Old 10-03-11, 05:20 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by NimaM
not at all i got that fixed a while ago. Searched all the forums. seems like no1 else seems to have the same issue.

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
what was the minor issue
the minor issue was just a blown fuse... i told him i had horrible gas milage so I'm sure that why he checked the engine, i thought i needed a new filter or something.... was i way off!
Old 10-03-11, 06:14 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AmirLexus
not at all i got that fixed a while ago. Searched all the forums. seems like no1 else seems to have the same issue.

the minor issue was just a blown fuse... i told him i had horrible gas milage so I'm sure that why he checked the engine, i thought i needed a new filter or something.... was i way off!
That sounds scary. What year is your IS and what kind kind of gas mileage were you getting?
Old 10-03-11, 07:04 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

To fry your piston rings it would have been either oil starvation, but you were on point with your oil changes so it couldnt be that. Or severe over reving the car when the oil is cold, but generally if you overrev that much you would have some valve issues as well.

You dont necessarily have to rebuild your engine just replace the piston rings but that is an expensive job, they have to remove the head, replace the rings and redeck it.

Cost wise, i am guessing over $1500-$2000 at a dealership easily. The parts arent expensive its the labor that is going to murderous.
Old 10-03-11, 07:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

No. They're saying your problem is related to L-SB-0061-09: 06 IS 250: M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0172 & P0175. This LSB replaces the pistons, rings, Valve Springs, Valve Lash Adjusters, and Valve Spring Retainers (if applicable). They're not saying your pistons or rings are shot, they're saying this is what Lexus says to do to fix your issues.
Old 10-03-11, 08:06 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Spark plug
Old 10-03-11, 08:24 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

would like to know as well
Old 10-03-11, 08:29 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So are you still under warranty or not? And what are the symptoms/warning signs to watch out for related to this issue? This is the first I've heard of the problem on CL.

I guess I should also ask if this is a 250-only issue or not.
Old 10-03-11, 08:30 PM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Originally Posted by NimaM
I'm new here so I'm just curious as to what you might be referrIng to?
I ask since my service manager made a comment about some kind of engine noise to watch out for. Thought he said something about the cam guides??? Thanks
Old 10-03-11, 08:58 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nuckingfut
I ask since my service manager made a comment about some kind of engine noise to watch out for. Thought he said something about the cam guides??? Thanks
It's a sporadic noise like metal rubbing on metal for a second or two when you start the engine. There is a thread about it. Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

If you're still on warranty, watch out for it and have the dealer perform the related tsib.
Old 10-04-11, 06:41 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Nuckingfut
Are you under warranty? For how much longer?

I recommend you get this done preemptively if you're close to the end of your powertrain warranty. It's about a $1600 fix. You can go to the thread linked above and record on your phone the audio files people have posted of the cranking noise. Then bring it in and tell them you've been experiencing the issue sporadically and they might not be able to replicate it, but you recorded it on your phone so you can play it for them.
Old 10-04-11, 07:13 AM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. They're saying your problem is related to L-SB-0061-09: 06 IS 250: M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0172 & P0175. This LSB replaces the pistons, rings, Valve Springs, Valve Lash Adjusters, and Valve Spring Retainers (if applicable). They're not saying your pistons or rings are shot, they're saying this is what Lexus says to do to fix your issues.
just out of curiosity why would u say its related to L-SB-0061. would love to see the tsb list. any idea which website works?

Originally Posted by calvin2376
So are you still under warranty or not? And what are the symptoms/warning signs to watch out for related to this issue? This is the first I've heard of the problem on CL.

I guess I should also ask if this is a 250-only issue or not.
I've searched all the forums found nothing... and yes good thing i opted for the extended warranty

Originally Posted by VIP Auto Salon
To fry your piston rings it would have been either oil starvation, but you were on point with your oil changes so it couldnt be that. Or severe over reving the car when the oil is cold, but generally if you overrev that much you would have some valve issues as well.

You dont necessarily have to rebuild your engine just replace the piston rings but that is an expensive job, they have to remove the head, replace the rings and redeck it.

Cost wise, i am guessing over $1500-$2000 at a dealership easily. The parts arent expensive its the labor that is going to murderous.
Thank you
Old 10-04-11, 07:26 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by AmirLexus
just out of curiosity why would u say its related to L-SB-0061. would love to see the tsb list. any idea which website works?
I'm also curious to know how lobuxracer knows this, maybe he's experienced it. In any case, as to your question, the only way to get the full TSIB list and full text of each is to subscribe to TIS and download them yourself. I think a 2-day subscription is about $15. I did this, went in and mass downloaded every single thing I could, so I now have copies of all TSIBs, recalls, notices, etc that relate to my car. Makes it very easy to look them up.

TSIBs are copyright and property of Lexus and Lexus charges for access to them, so posting them on a forum like this is illegal/frowned upon. I found this out when I tried to post a PDF of all of them on CL. That said, you will find some of these TSIBs out on the internet and in CL threads.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems..